Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Was Suzuki twice a victim of underscoring and pageantry in PCS?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How come?

Because it might convince the federation to support her (the same reason I'm rooting for Kozuka). Ashley winning a medal would be enough for her support wise. Suzuki won bronze, headed the ladies at WTT, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

suzukifan27, I don't think Wagner's going to nail the 3-3. I think she's going to go for it. Big difference.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Because it might convince the federation to support her (the same reason I'm rooting for Kozuka). Ashley winning a medal would be enough for her support wise. Suzuki won bronze, headed the ladies at WTT, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

suzukifan27, I don't think Wagner's going to nail the 3-3. I think she's going to go for it. Big difference.

In the reverse it doesn't make sense why they continue to give top support to Mao when she hasn't won a medal at Worlds since 2010.

FWIW, I think Ashley already has plenty of federation support, so yes, I think a medal would be fine as well.

And I do think that she will actually hit the 3-3 when she does it, IMO. As I said earlier in this thread, Ashley had a penchant for going for the 3-3 when she wasn't quite ready to do it. I think this year it will be a different story.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
For me, I wanted Akiko to win worlds and Ashley second. Now I want Mirai on Podium. She is really growing up and coming back. I'd like to believe in her again. I thought this had to be Suzuki's year to win worlds. I think she desered silver last year. She is by far Japan's best skater for two years. It is a shame JSF has so little respect for her. She truly deserved Gold at NHK. I love Mao, but this was rediculous. Not fair, judges.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And I do think that she will actually hit the 3-3 when she does it, IMO. As I said earlier in this thread, Ashley had a penchant for going for the 3-3 when she wasn't quite ready to do it. I think this year it will be a different story.

ITA. She hasn't needed it yet, and she really won't need to it win the GPF or Nationals. There's no need to take the unnecessary risk just to practice because all of these competitions are important. This year was the first time she won a GP event so she wanted to be clean to achieve that.

christinaskater

Medalist
I do hope she would win Worlds or get a silver medal. Good luck to Akiko and Ashley and Mao! I love the programs of these 3 girls! Super skaters with the total package.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
ITA. She hasn't needed it yet, and she really won't need to it win the GPF or Nationals. There's no need to take the unnecessary risk just to practice because all of these competitions are important. This year was the first time she won a GP event so she wanted to be clean to achieve that.

Wagner may get a nasty surprise at the GPF if she believes no 3+3 is needed. If Suzuki skates clean with 3+3.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki is the supreme peacock!

It's exciting to see how a peacock can hold of the swans :):)

But there will be only one swan program at the GPF; unless you're referring to Ashley's "Black Swan" program from last season.

Birds seem to be very popular in skating: Rushing Wings of Dawn, Firebird, Swan Lake, The Swan, Black Swan ...

(Or maybe just swan programs. :think:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But there will be only one swan program at the GPF; unless you're referring to Ashley's "Black Swan" program from last season.

Birds seem to be very popular in skating: Rushing Wings of Dawn, Firebird, Swan Lake, The Swan, Black Swan ...

(Or maybe just swan programs. :think:)

As they say in Portlandia..."Put a bird on it!"

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
suzuki27 said:
Wagner may get a nasty surprise at the GPF if she believes no 3+3 is needed. If Suzuki skates clean with 3+3.

This is what should happen if both skate clean, I'm not too sure it will though. Akiko constantly doesn't get the PCS she deserves, and that just might make the difference. I think Akiko is the better overall skater, and for now her programs are slightly more difficult (3T3T in SP and 2A3T in FS). But for whatever reasons, the jugdes love Ashley more by now (yes I know she earned that through consistency and stuff, but that doesn't change Akiko's case at all).

Assuming everyone in the GPF is clean, I'd think it would be pretty close after the SP. Ashley might even end up with the lowest BV here, Liza and Julia have the hardest jumps, Mao has the spin and step levels, and Kiira and Akiko at least have the 3T+3T (plus Akiko has a 3L). It's going to be interesting for sure.

Anyway, concerning the thread-title: I don't like the way it's written, bcause it makes it sound as if Akiko was rather ugly. Not true at all :eek:hwell:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Rewatching her FS today, I must really take off my hat to Akiko. What an impressive woman.

It seems the more they push her down, the more she came back with fire and vigour. She had the skate of her life yesterday (The Brit Euroguys correctly calls it) at age 27. If she is to retire tomorrow, she can hold her head up high and said 'I did THAT at NHK' and nobody can take anything away from her. Medals/podium Pppffaaaa... who needs it!!! Skating memorably will outlast any medals that is given out annually, and I will remember this performance Akiko Suzuki.

Regardless how I have felt about her choreography &portion of her performance that didn't go with her chosen subject, she has really sold it well yesterday. By all standards, it was an amazing Akiko performance. Her effort was A++, well done!!

Last edited:

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I accepted that katelyn Osmond was good enough at Skate Canada to beat Akiko. But NHK was a joke. Akiko was magnificent while Mao was a disaster

All I know is, now that we've had the chance to see Akiko's program on TV here in the eastern U.S., that's an awfully impressive second-place performance! She was magnificent, easily the best in the long program.

pohatta

On the Ice
Some of you are a bit hung up on the importance of 3-3 in the LP. Suzuki already has 7 triples (2 of them lutzes). The only thing a 3-3 would give her is the chance to add a second 2a.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Some of you are a bit hung up on the importance of 3-3 in the LP. Suzuki already has 7 triples (2 of them lutzes). The only thing a 3-3 would give her is the chance to add a second 2a.

A double axel is worth several points so it still would be worth adding if possible (not just for Suzuki but anyone). I think the judges also give you some extra credit if you are doing a triple-triple, boost your PCS, and in general are more generous in your scores. If you are not one of the judges favorites like Suzuki apparently is it is a wise thing to add one, she defintiely needs something more to break from the pack it seems.