Li Zijun | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Li Zijun

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heh.. did anyone catch the 3 x 4s, and 1 x 5 she got in her FS at Cup of China? Some judges really don't like her.

I think Zijun need to change choreographer, and go for something a bit more edgier to shake up things a little.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I havent check protocol yet, but the truth is not "change choreographer", Lori already is the top COP friendly choreographer. and Zijun indeed added more difficult/new transitions/entry in all her tech element. Both her 2 programs this year is sophisticated program, suited to her ability and also challenging her.
Most zijun fans/figure skating fans, are glad with her outing this time. think she is improved in IN, which is her weakness, and think that her biggest problem is stamina, and Zijun also know herself.
Also zijun fans are generally satisfied with her choreo this season (not so much with last year's LP, cos it is simply a repeat, but consider Zijun's condition last season, it is understandable).
The SP is her usual ballet style, but you can see more classic ballet moves and transitions in her new SP, and her dance is actually a bit better than before. especially at the beginning when she is not tired.
The LP is a bit more lyrical, the purpose is to improve "tension" in Zijun's moves(which she lacks) and add more depths in her expression range.
Also, costume is nicely designed as well.
As for scores, nowadays, it is not given out by PCS standard anymore. so it is not an indication that Zijun's choreo is bad....
Zijun's tech is sound(flutz aside)and very competitive, 7 triples program with 3F-3T,she just need stamina.
If she improves stamina and polish her skating skills, she will be a great skater, (scores may not say so), but I dont care anyway.
I believe, she will get better and better.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
If Zijun can successfully handle these 2 programs by the end of this season, I think maybe her teams can seek more challenging programs, something edgier like you said. And I believe they will, the Chinese team have good relationship with all top choreographers.
Zijun's OG season tango SP is actually a tempt, and I think she did her best at OG. I saved that program for myself. That tango also is a relatively "sweet" tango music to suit her style more. but she still lacks some piazza at her best (OG outing). So push her too hard towards something that is obviously beyond her ability too early, is not that effective.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
all in all, I am proud of Zijun's progress, she had her puberty issues and seems like she is coming back. And she is from weak fed, The only way for her to fight or any weak fed skaters is to be strong and stronger.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I was looking through tumblr for Zijun's photos and I found this program from Lu Chen. so beautifully danced and incorporated lots of Chinese classic and folk dance moves. If only Zijun can dance like this (that classic layback position is quite similar to Zijun, Yuna as well)
http://vimeo.com/109331565

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I wonder if Zijun needs to change something going forward...? I enjoyed watching her at CoC, but the marks seemed very low for not-so-bad skates. She even lost PCS to Daleman, who had some really unfitting programs.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Daleman has better skating skills than Zijun, Zijun's mark is indeed low, but using Daleman is not a good example.
Zijun's teams knows what they needs to improve and scores, just like Yuna said, it depends on judges.
and this is fan thread, so not a good idea to drag other skaters in here.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Daleman has better skating skills than Zijun, Zijun's mark is indeed low, but using Daleman is not a good example.
Zijun's teams knows what they needs to improve and scores, just like Yuna said, it depends on judges.

I don't think Sandpiper meant to drag anyone. She (or he) is asking what she has to improve on now that judges are "leaving" her behind with her scoring.

It is kinda odd that she did get a low score when compared to Daleman. But since Daleman has been showing more consistency than Zijun, maybe that's why? With that matter, I do think she needs a new coach that can help out with her own refinement and also physical issues such as her lack of stamina. That especially becomes very apparent at the last part of her programs. She has indeed greatly improved with her skating but I feel like she now needs this X factor that can help her stand out since she really reminds a lot of Yuna (even more than So Youn). And lately, that observation has been giving me some mixed feeling since I want her to shine on her own.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I actually like Daleman. She impressed me last year. But her programs this year simply didn't work, especially that SP.

Daleman is faster across the ice than Zijun, but I'm not certain that means she has good overall SS. Parts of her StSq look rough, though that could just be because the packaging was bad. And SS is only one part of PCS. I think Zijun should be able to make up those marks with choreography and interpretation on these particular skates.

Anyway, putting Daleman aside, Zijun's marks and the gap between her and people above her isn't promising. Her performances were not great, but if I'd just seen the marks and looked at no protocols/videos, I would've thought she had a meltdown.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
“Zijun's marks and the gap between her and people above her isn't promising. Her performances were not great, but if I'd just seen the marks and looked at no protocols/videos, I would've thought she had a meltdown.”
this I agree, and since she cannot do anything with Judge's mind, as I noted before, her team and herself knows very well her current weakness is stamina. If she is improving, she IS promising, regardless judge's scores.
And if you wanna discuss Daleman's step sequence/packaging please go to her fan thread. I am very impressed by Daleman's SP at COC, just saying.
How will Zijun improve her stamina, I am no coach, but I think besides ordinary endurance training. polish her skating skills and use energy efficiently is perhaps helpful.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, yes, there's nothing Zijun can do about the judges. You're right, all she can do is focus on her consistency, which tends to increase PCS. And trying some different programs, as other posters have suggested.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
“Zijun's marks and the gap between her and people above her isn't promising. Her performances were not great, but if I'd just seen the marks and looked at no protocols/videos, I would've thought she had a meltdown.”
this I agree, and since she cannot do anything with Judge's mind, as I noted before, her team and herself knows very well her current weakness is stamina. If she is improving, she IS promising, regardless judge's scores.
And if you wanna discuss Daleman's step sequence/packaging please go to her fan thread. I am very impressed by Daleman's SP at COC, just saying.
How will Zijun improve her stamina, I am no coach, but I think besides ordinary endurance training. polish her skating skills and use energy efficiently is perhaps helpful.

It is pretty sad when there's nothing much you can do except accept everything and try to do better next time, or like you said, follows the wise words from Yuna and how she deals with her bad marks in the past. I thought her mark were very stingey at Cup of China! Consider she is Chinese #1 and have never benefited from a home event EVER! I'd at least put her above 100, her PCS seems to have completely wiped out last season. And the three 4s she received in PCS categories was outrageous! Wonder who is that from?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Its always been like that. Chinese skating fans and skating community are all aware of that. In order to win, you will have to be absolutely better than others, there is no home inflation at all, applied to S/Z's experience as well. That's why Chinese skaters waved "Team every1" @ WTT last year. that's their mentality, put on respectable performances every time for the audience, for the ice and for the purity of this sports.
Zijun has earned some PCS through consistent and strong performances (sleeping beauty season and all the good performances leading to that), but get dumped right away once she started to struggle...
I like one Chinese fan's post, loosely translate "slay them with your skating".

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think the Chinese pairs are getting a certain amount of recognition/favourable politics/leeway (whatever we want to call it) these days. Post-2002, the judges really did appreciate Shen/Zhao, and if it weren't for his injury they would've been favoured to win Torino over Totmianina/Marinin, imo. But the results, and associated politics, didn't really carry over to the other disciplines. Zijun needs to perform her tech and maybe find a new style of program to let the judges take a second look at her.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I was watching Zijun's waltz of flower then I wanna check out how Yuna looks like at 17 then I watched Yuna's Die Fledermaus also COC outing. The only thing I can say is that, out of all current lady skaters, Zijun has the most similar body type as Yuna's :yes::love:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Just watched Zijun's moon river. improvement from last outing, especially the later half, better commitment, better stamina and better IN at the piano concerto No2 part (so important in this program).
Keep improving zijun, needs more clarity and nuances of movement, and continue practice Dance diligently (you can get there) and attack the later half of your program.
Your 2 programs this season are great programs, I like your little improvement at every outing. and I like you start to add little nuances in your movement. still lots to improve though.
I agree with Eurosports commentary although harsh but constructive critics and suggestions (such as long gloves, kinda hard to design a long gloves but not fall off half way through ...).
Zijun you are still the young promising skater as when you first break onto the scene, just keep improving. Good Luck:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just love this girl. She's so cute. She pouted a bit at her score and I was like :love: awwww... She is lovely on ice. I hope the best for her next time.m