Skaters at the NYC Christmas Tree Lighting 11/27 | Golden Skate

Skaters at the NYC Christmas Tree Lighting 11/27

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If anyone in NYC is near Bryant Park today (Tue Nov 27), the tree lighting there from 6:30 - 8:00 pm will include skating performances:

- Steven Cousins
- The Haydenettes
- The Kerrs
- Joannie Rochette

"... free and open-to-the-public event ... Following the closing of the ceremony, stick around for free-admission ice skating for all."

http://citipondatbryantpark.com/event/holiday-tree-lighting
http://www.bryantpark.org/plan-your-visit/calendar.html?evt=2655#

Sorry for the short notice -- but I just saw tweets from Rochette and Sinead Kerr about the event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I dunno for sure, but I would be surprised if li'l' ol' Bryant Park were televised (except maybe brief snippets showing up on local newscasts). It's more of a Johnny-come-lately compared to the long tradition of the Rockefeller Center tree lighting -- which takes place tomorrow.

I think most New Yorkers consider Rock Center THE iconic tree lighting. It is usually televised, I believe. Information about this year's Rock Center telecast below (again, it's tomorrow, Wed Nov 28).

Most of the country will see an hour-long special at 8 p.m. hosted by Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie, and featuring performances by the Rockettes and the Muppets. Some NBC stations, including NBC New York and NBC Connecticut, will air a two-hour special beginning at 7 p.m.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...Center-Christmas-Tree-Lighting-181002081.html

I don't know whether Rock Center will have any live skating performances (or taped, for that matter). None mentioned at the link above.
And none mentioned here: https://www.rockefellercenter.com/events/2012/11/28/2012-rockefeller-center-tree-lighting/

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
What I am thinking is, isn't this on TV somewhere?

As another poster pointed out, Bryant Park is not 'The' NYC tree. The tree at Rockefeller Center is 'The Tree' and the lighting is broadcast on NBC. The local news is more likely to show a little coverage of Bryant Park and Lincoln Center tree lightings.

Bryant Park also hosts the tents at 'Fashion Week'.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, now I am confused....one has Sarah Brightman and one has the Kerrs? Waaaaaaaaa....all I have here is boys dribbling in their shorts.....maybe there will be something on youtube.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As another poster pointed out, Bryant Park is not 'The' NYC tree. The tree at Rockefeller Center is 'The Tree' and the lighting is broadcast on NBC. The local news is more likely to show a little coverage of Bryant Park and Lincoln Center tree lightings.

Bryant Park also hosts the tents at 'Fashion Week'.

Not that it really matters, but Bryant Park used to (past tense) host Fashion Week. The most recent editions of FW have been held at Lincoln Center.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's amazing that all this stuff is going on in NYC, considering Sandy. 3 days ago, the news reported that about 25% of building 6 stories & shorter still were without heat.

Almost all of the taller buildings were up & running though, including the NYC housing authority buildings.

I'm assuming the heating plants were was based in the cellars, and the cellars flooded?

This seems to coincide with what I've heard. The cellars had the furnaces, the boilers, and whatnot.

That's a sobering statistic, 25% of low-rise buildings still without heat.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This seems to coincide with what I've heard. The cellars had the furnaces, the boilers, and whatnot.

That's a sobering statistic, 25% of low-rise buildings still without heat.

They were hoping for it to be done to 10% soon, but they worried about the coming snow storm.