Ashley Wagner | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My fave short of hers is HHCC, especially at 2016 Worlds when she was so excited about skating clean, she tripped and fell in her butt, lol. Plus the black halter dress looked great on her.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I :love: Henry 8 and SiT. And I didn't see Ashley back then at all. Those early programs are wonderful too. Thanks for reminding me, Lament Ariane. I'll be rewatching the old ones now!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here it is, my lovely fellow Ashley fans. I found the link to Ashley's new blog by accident on her IG. It's amazing. She's a very competent, complete, beautiful writer, with access to her emotions (no surprise there) and the courage to share them (also no surprise to us).

https://www.theashwagner.com/blog

A lot of the blog posts are dated Nov. 20, so I think she's been writing for a while. So glad she put up all these posts at once. Start wherever you like, of course; they're such a treat. But for me, the great place to start was with "Moving Across the Country, Why I Did It." And I wasn't disappointed.

She mentions in one of them that I just read, "Morning Routine" I think, that she works in the evenings. I assume that's when she's coaching.

macy

Record Breaker
Here it is, my lovely fellow Ashley fans. I found the link to Ashley's new blog by accident on her IG. It's amazing. She's a very competent, complete, beautiful writer, with access to her emotions (no surprise there) and the courage to share them (also no surprise to us).

https://www.theashwagner.com/blog

A lot of the blog posts are dated Nov. 20, so I think she's been writing for a while. So glad she put up all these posts at once. Start wherever you like, of course; they're such a treat. But for me, the great place to start was with "Moving Across the Country, Why I Did It." And I wasn't disappointed.

She mentions in one of them that I just read, "Morning Routine" I think, that she works in the evenings. I assume that's when she's coaching.

thanks for sharing this! i just read a couple and i'm really glad i did...i feel like we can get to know her on a more personal level through her blog. she's so wise and smart too!

but from a few lines i read, she speaks as if she has retired for good :cry: just from this, i would be surprised if we see her on competitive ice again. sigh.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Yes, I agree with you about everything ... the good and the sad. I'd gradually come to believe that she's retired for good, so I let myself down gradually. This, to me, is the best way of all to learn her plans. She's well into her new way of expressing herself: writing. I knew she'd been interested in journalism, but this writing, to me, is much better.

I really had begun to think I was finished with Ladies' figure skating, without her. But I'm finally excited about someone: Rika. But I still miss Ashley and everything unique that she's brought to the ice for us.

georgia

On the Ice
^^ Yes, I agree with you about everything ... the good and the sad. I'd gradually come to believe that she's retired for good, so I let myself down gradually. This, to me, is the best way of all to learn her plans. She's well into her new way of expressing herself: writing. I knew she'd been interested in journalism, but this writing, to me, is much better.

I really had begun to think I was finished with Ladies' figure skating, without her. But I'm finally excited about someone: Rika. But I still miss Ashley and everything unique that she's brought to the ice for us.
Give it some time. You will find the replacement. I am warming up to Bell. I also like a Bradie. Ashley will be just fine. She is a very strong woman!

temadd

Final Flight

I hear you!! I've been a FS fan for years but it wasn't until Ashley that I became an uber fan. I will miss her presence and have not been as attentive to competitions without her in the mix. But I've become a fan of Kaori Sakamoto who skates from the heart and makes me want to go on the ride with her

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is on the cover of a Boston magazine. Does anybody know which magazine. I'd love to get a copy. Thanks.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley posted on IG yesterday that she is competing at the Aurora Games in Albany, NY on August 24th at 1PM.

It looks like it's an inaugural event celebrating women athletes from different sports (gymnastics, tennis, hockey, figure skating, etc). I don't know who will be competing with her, but imagine additional names will be added.

It looks like a fun event and I bought a ticket for the FS event on the 24th - Albany is a 2.5 hour train ride from NYC and I reserved an Airbnb near the Times Union Arena where it will be held over the last full weekend in August.

ETA: Here is a press release that mentions Ashley competing.

Ashley Wagner (Figure Skating, Team Americas): A three-time U.S. national figure skating champion, Ashley Wagner captured an Olympic bronze medal during the 2014 Winter Games in the team event.

Saturday, August 24 -- Figure Skating: Team World and Team Americas will square off on the iice in a team competition that will include skaters from around the world representing the past, present and future of the sport.

macy

Record Breaker
Ashley posted on IG yesterday that she is competing at the Aurora Games in Albany, NY on August 24th at 1PM.

It looks like it's an inaugural event celebrating women athletes from different sports (gymnastics, tennis, hockey, figure skating, etc). I don't know who will be competing with her, but imagine additional names will be added.

It looks like a fun event and I bought a ticket for the FS event on the 24th - Albany is a 2.5 hour train ride from NYC and I reserved an Airbnb near the Times Union Arena where it will be held over the last full weekend in August.

never heard of the aurora games...i'm under the impression it's a pro competition of sorts?

i wonder who else will compete.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:thank: I quite enjoyed this article, which seemed (to me) to feature some spiffy questions ... and Ashley of course had some spiffy answers! Here's my favorite quote:

Why do you spin clockwise and most other skaters go counterclockwise?

I’d love to say I was some kind of rebel out to change the ways of figure skating, but the truth is that at age 5, they put you on the ice and say, “Turn around,” and whatever way you turn is the way you spin for the rest of your life.

Also, isn't it just like Ashley to be featured in a magazine called "The Improper" ???? :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This sounds like a very cool event. I would love to be there for it, but I'm tied up that month. Have a wonderful time, apgold!

KiraraChin

Medalist
I just wanted to say I really admire Ashley's courage in speaking up and fighting for change. She is incredibly brave and has all my respect.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so proud of Ashley for TAKING ACTION. For realizing in January that she had to do something, and then Doing Something in February. She's working with USFS to make changes that promote all the athletes' well-being. She's already working to educate skaters and their parents, by talking to groups of them.

With all the mental hand-wringing going on about how the sport's mentality needs to be changed, Ashley is actually do something about it.

I'm very sorry Ashley went to this and has had to live with it every day for 11 years. I am hopeful that her speaking up about this makes her life better in some way.

Yes, since she says it's haunted her ever since, I'm optimistically hopeful that this will allow her to let it go.