Ashley Wagner | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

Scovies

Final Flight
I think Ashley can beat Elena if they both skate clean; Ashley's jump layout gives her a higher BV, and she's probably got the edge on PCS. Beating Liza is a really tall order, though, especially if she adds 3Lz-3T to her programs like she's planning (she may even do a 3A!).

Don't get me wrong; if Ashley skates a long program like she did at Nationals, she could win. But I think she'll need a bit of help from Liza and possibly Elena for that to happen. Silver or bronze is definitely doable, but it depends on how well she does her lutzes and how strict the tech panel is. She can get away with a "!" call, but "e" would be disastrous.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Elena got 143+ for a clean nationals FS. Ashley got nearly 149 for a clean nationals FS. So it is possible for Ashley to beat Elena. If Ashley leads in PCS like she is supposed plus a clean skate, then we can guarantee the fact she'll get at least silver. Not too sure about Liza though.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Elena got 143+ for a clean nationals FS. Ashley got nearly 149 for a clean nationals FS. So it is possible for Ashley to beat Elena. If Ashley leads in PCS like she is supposed plus a clean skate, then we can guarantee the fact she'll get at least silver. Not too sure about Liza though.
You forget that Elena has more chances to get full credit on her jumps than Ashley. Tech panel at WC might not be as lenient as US National.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

Lol it's absurd to cross compare scores from Nationals.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Ashley has the hardest repertoire with two 3Lz and 3Lo.Actually, it is same with Elena's, but unlike Elena's, Ashley does her axel's at the very beginning of her programme.
I think Ashley has a good chance to beat Elena if both two skates fully.But I am not sure about Elizaveta.However, Ashley should lead on presentation scores.

To me, Ashley has really been doing something hard.She started with 2A3T, then put 3F3T, took 3Lz out, dealed with UR issued, worked on outside edge and got it somehow, put the 3Lz again, worked on 3Lo-1Lo-3S and added not one but two 3-3, changed the combination from 3F3T to 3Lz3T, added it to both SP and FS, put two 3Lz's on FS, replaced her 3Lo with 3F on SP, at every competition she skated with a new repertoire...All of these just happened in 3 months.It is great to see how she is working hard and wants to be a champion.I really appreciate what she is delivering and couldn't be prouder as a fan.
Which is why I think she can win :cheer: Honestly, her PCS should honestly be much higher than ANYONE in the field. Her storytelling on the ice, her posture, her speed.. no one should be able to touch her there. IN just posted an article about how she is working really hard on her Lutz and her spins (levels 4). If she has those down by worlds, and skates clean, her score could be huge. My fingers and toes are crossed!!

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I think Ashley can beat Elena if they both skate clean; Ashley's jump layout gives her a higher BV, and she's probably got the edge on PCS. Beating Liza is a really tall order, though, especially if she adds 3Lz-3T to her programs like she's planning (she may even do a 3A!).
Oh boy, didn't know Liza was planning that.:shocked: I would be ecstatic with any medal for Ashley, as I think she would. If everyone were to skate clean (and after Gracie's 4CC I don't know if that's gonna happen) I think it should be a Russia-USA showdown, with the top 6 being the 3 girls from those 2 countries. But Miyahara and Hongo could squeak in 6th possibly...

lyndichee

Medalist
Which is why I think she can win :cheer: Honestly, her PCS should honestly be much higher than ANYONE in the field. Her storytelling on the ice, her posture, her speed.. no one should be able to touch her there. IN just posted an article about how she is working really hard on her Lutz and her spins (levels 4). If she has those down by worlds, and skates clean, her score could be huge. My fingers and toes are crossed!!

I love Ashley don't get me wrong, I watch her nationals free skate over and over again but world champ doesn't seem realistic to me lol. Most articles and media will publish the good stuff to try and shake down the competition. Even if she did hit the level 4 spins, she would never get the GOE Radionova gets. I want to see great skates from everyone; that will be the greatest victory for me. I honestly don't see Ashley winning worlds unless Elizaveta/Elena both mess up in some way.

Warwick360

Medalist
I love Ashley don't get me wrong, I watch her nationals free skate over and over again but world champ doesn't seem realistic to me lol. Most articles and media will publish the good stuff to try and shake down the competition. Even if she did hit the level 4 spins, she would never get the GOE Radionova gets. I want to see great skates from everyone; that will be the greatest victory for me. I honestly don't see Ashley winning worlds unless Elizaveta/Elena both mess up in some way.

If she doesn't mess up, I mean if she does what she did at Nationals but with no doubtful edges that Nationals seem to overlook, I think she might have a great shot especially with the Free program that she has this year. Ofcourse unless Elizaveta decides to throw 3Axles left right and centre. :laugh2:

But I guess writing her as a frontrunner is a total no-no. I'd just be happy if Wagner can medal, regardless at whatever position.

Last edited:

Scovies

Final Flight
Even if she did hit the level 4 spins, she would never get the GOE Radionova gets.

That's not really true; check out the scoresheet from the GPF. Aside from Ashley's UR salchow combo, their GOEs are comparable across the board, identical in some places (3-3 combo, StSq, ChSq). Elena has higher GOE on spins and the 3F, but Ashley had higher GOEs on the 3Lz and 2A. Heck, if Ashley had gotten level 4s on her spins, her BV would only have been a point less than Elena's, even with an UR jump.

Now, trying to beat Liza's GOEs, on the other hand...

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Its probably really unrealistic to think Ashley will win, but I'm just sitting here hoping. :laugh: I've always felt the Russians in general are always over-scored.. so I just really want Ashley to beat them hahaha

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I see no reason why Ashley should get less GOE than Elena. When landed, Ashley's jumps look more airy and beautiful to me (there is, of course, no faulting Elena's consistency; she must be utterly frustrating to compete against :laugh:). In terms of spins, Elena's biggest advantage is her layback, which gets well-deserved +3s. But other than the layback, I don't think she's that far ahead of Ashley or Liza in spins. Ashley just needs to start hitting her levels.

I also don't understand why you can't just reduce BV for edge/UR problems, but still give +GOE if the jump itself is good. I remember there was a huge 3Lo Ashley did during the GP... it was called UR, probably because she delayed the rotation, but that's a case where I think the jump should still receive +GOE. But anyway, that's a whole other can of worms...

Barb

Record Breaker

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Looks like it's a trend: female figure skater+ male speed skater couple. Thinking of Yuna and her boyfriend...

randomfan

Record Breaker
You forget that Elena has more chances to get full credit on her jumps than Ashley. Tech panel at WC might not be as lenient as US National.

That's true. Even if Ashley does have a clean skate, the tech panel might mark some wrong edges. I forgot that Ashley didn't use this layout yet at an international competition.

Lol it's absurd to cross compare scores from Nationals.

If it's (2015) Korean or Chinese Nationals with Russian or US Nationals, then yes it's absurd. But as inflated as the Americans and the Russians' scores were, Ashley's jumps had better quality than Elena's. If both of them skate clean, then Elena beating Ashley in TES by about 1 point would be fine, but more than that would be ridiculous. Plus, Ashley can get higher PCS than Elena and that would make a difference too, unless their PCS get extremely close like the GPF.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley looks so cute in those pictures. But Nicole Kidman! I thought for a minute it was a wax figure! And Katie Holmes! I thought she was Steven Tyler!

charmblade

Final Flight
I'm glad to see her looking so happy, and they are super cute together. Congrats Ashley!! :agree: