Lipnitskaia withdraws from GPF: Gao takes slot | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia withdraws from GPF: Gao takes slot

Gao is in a perfect position. All she has to do is relax and skate her two programs. If others skate well and Gao finishes last, so what? If she doesn't, good for her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Realistic predictions would say Gao finishes last. She has the least amount of clout and the personal best she has shown so far in her career has been lower than all of the other ladies going to the GPF. Doesn't really matter, though, it's a good experience for her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Neither did Meissner in 2007...both were craptastic which was kind of too bad.

Here's hoping neither Wagner nor Gao finish last here.

No, but Kimmie was reigning World Champion. I guess that is why I remembered.

Very excited for Christina though!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Realistic predictions would say Gao finishes last. She has the least amount of clout and the personal best she has shown so far in her career has been lower than all of the other ladies going to the GPF. Doesn't really matter, though, it's a good experience for her.

Personal bests are the best....until they're not.

Seriously though, I say we will see. I don't think she'll be close to the podium, but I think she can be in the mix to not finish last.

And heck, did anyone predict that she would be in the GPF in the first place (or anywhere close to it?!).

tulosai

Record Breaker
At least Lipnistkaia did the right thing which is more than I can say about other skaters who waited and waited and essentially did not allow someone else the chance. I know people will say that it wasn't done on purpose but..whatever.

This actually did occur to me too...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This actually did occur to me too...

Figured it would come up. That said, no point of beating around the bush and no point of rehashing Rachael Flatt's tibiagate-- she's already out for the season, so that should suffice for those of you who do not care for her or feel she still needs to pay for her skating sins.

That said, I'm not sure if concussion is the same as tibia injury, however. I get the feeling if her doctor didn't tell her she couldn't skate at all or her coach didn't stop her, she would still compete, FWIW.

(Not aiming at this at you tulosai, just pointing out that I'm not surprised somebody would bring this up.)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think it is mild concussion. I can tell you a fractured tibia feels like you broke your knee cap)I fractured my Tibial plateu in my bedroon when on sleep med Ambien-all bad stuff but ...when you need to sleep. Anyway, The tibia fracture should have had her in a leg cast and off it. Flatt is gutsy and so competitive.

I'm not happy because I don't know if Julia is hurt, and I was wanting to see the showdown between Liza and Julia, but I am this year become a Gao fan. Her skating competitions have gotten better, maybe because she made a mental shift to student and not "american skater looking for Olympic berth."

Nationals should be great, and I am so glad we have two entries for GPF. Gao has come a long way. She might pull a Paul Wylie some day!

Last edited:

meem

On the Ice
I bet Gao is tickled that she decided not to retire this past summer! Looks like a change of scenery made a big difference (in several ways). She's looked wonderful this early in the season already.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I bet Gao is tickled that she decided not to retire this past summer! Looks like a change of scenery made a big difference (in several ways). She's looked wonderful this early in the season already.

It's been a great year for the Skating Club of Boston between Gao's SA medal/GPF berth and Ross and Castelli/Shnapir getting bronze at NHK

Figured it would come up. That said, no point of beating around the bush and no point of rehashing Rachael Flatt's tibiagate--

I think the reference was more to Alissa Czisny not withdrawing from NHK in time for a replacement to be named.

I think with a concussion, even a mild one, the doctors say no vigorous activity period. There is a wait and see period even if the brain heals itself without complication. You are not even supposed to do mental activity, like school work, for a few days.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Not much, but life goes on, and if one is alone, one must think as best as on can. It is hard not to think...if it were serious concussion, I think there would be more of a statement. She is young, and the brain is more plastic than we think. I feel bad that Gao's opportunity comes at julia's expense, but I think Gao will give it her best. I expect she may be last, but still, 5th or sixth in the top skaters group in the world is pretty amazing, and this season has put her on the map for the first time I suspect, with many judges, fans,etc. She is a very blessed girl, beauty, brains, family likely awesome and a talented skatr at her chosen sport.

It seems Brian Orser figures in the bios of a few top skaters. I think he makes an impression on his skaters positively, even if just passing through. I am and always will be an Orser fan, can you tell? Her current people in Boston seem to be a good ingluence as well. This is a win-win for Gao, regardless of her placement. God luck, Ms Gao.

ETA: Skaterboy, we realize rachael and Allissa both have things they wanted to prove, and their careers have unfinished business because they have done some terrible skates. Alissa certainly did bomb at Worlds, she isn't a competitor, just a lovely skater when not under pressure. Flatt is an amazing very smart woman, who maybe should have withdrawn. But the fact is, while you sound like you'd think of others and so definitely I would have, these girls got to the top of US figureskating by working hard and competing all those years from little age to teen years before they "made it' in USFSA. They are tenacious. Alissa may cloak it better than Kwan, but no one gets to be US Champion without having a team of helpers. It is "all about me." as Kwan said about being a top skater. You have beat that horse to death, as have others. These girls had agendas to win. Flatt is a fighter and we don't know all the reasons, etc. Many athletes compete injured every day at all levels of sport.

We are all selfish, and when one is fighting for a position in skating, we should understand. I wish we had a dollar for every negative comment about the smart, pretty PETITE blond who skated to 7th place (many said she deserved 5th) with two clean, energetic performances in Vancouver. I have never seen a more maligned skater than Rachael Flatt. I don't get it. Yes, her best days were when training full-time. She is a National champion, and someone a lot ofn student/skaters look up to. She did us proud in her first Olympics. She does have a round face and is not a speedy skater. Her body is matronly looking for one so young. This seems to make her the butt of so many comments. Alissa, as most beautiful US Champion maybe in many eyes, gets a lot of points. Beauty is power and it helps. We never know the true condition/situations of these people. They are competitive figure skaters, and you are not going to find sacrificial type people. I was a social worker. You can assume from that, I'd step aside for another...and you'd be right. But the "winners" in the world like Flatt/Alissa and they are winners, usually put themselves first, as do other people. That is the nature of competition. When are people going to move on. They are hardly bad people. Maybe , as I said you can make a case for self-serving at worst.

Fortunately Flatt has huge confidence as an only child, winner of the genetic lottery for IQ, a former US Champion. She knows she is blessed. Maybe it is time we forgive her, even though she and Alissa may not have been thinking what was best for US skating. It is what it is. I too have said plenty, and hang on to things forever. We are a selfish bunch, by and large. I have not met too many saints in my life, lol. And I would not look at sports to find my heroes, anyway. I say we forget Flatt's sins as she is done, and I think Alissa likely is too. They gave us some nice, even inspiring performances. What else can we expect of these people?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluesky85

On the Ice
Oh, no... poor thing... Julia has never been my favourite skater, but I still recognize her amazing talent and abilities... I don't want any skaters to suffer such severe injuries... Just how serious is the injury? Some say it is a minor one, other says it is a serious one. I read in an article that her chin was split open and I don't know what that means, and I certainly don't want to picture what that must have been like for a 14-year-old... I just hope she is not suffering too much both physically and emotionally....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the reference was more to Alissa Czisny not withdrawing from NHK in time for a replacement to be named.

I think with a concussion, even a mild one, the doctors say no vigorous activity period. There is a wait and see period even if the brain heals itself without complication. You are not even supposed to do mental activity, like school work, for a few days.

Ah that makes sense. Either way, no point of beating a dead horse!

And yes, concussion is a totally different animal than the more physical injuries.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Repetitive concusions are nothing to sneeze at. Julia must be very careful and if I were her, knowing all the new data out on on high school football players, there is no way I would be out there till I was fully healed....
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/92189-overview. I too am sorry for her and wish her the best. But I am still happy for CG.

emma

Record Breaker
^ yes! All the best to both skaters, and that was very sweet of Christina! I am glad that Julia is taking rest - echoing others above, concussions should be taken seriously and treated with caution/care.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker