Lipnitskaia withdraws from GPF: Gao takes slot | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia withdraws from GPF: Gao takes slot

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am sorry for Julia but SUPER excited for Christina. This is a great opportunity for her and if she skates like she did at her first 2 events she will doubtless gain some more international credibility. Either way she'll be getting more international experience which is always so valuable. VERY happy for her!

I do wonder what she's doing about her Harvard Finals. I have so much respect for her that she is accomplishing so much in skating this year while going there.:yay:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Well, she wasn't my favourite, but I'm mildly disappointed and I'm glad it doesn't sound too serious. Good opportunity for Christina, though.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great opportunity for Christina, very happy for her. Wishing a speedy recovery for Julia.

Country
Russia
Team Russia's doctor Yaroslav Bugaev told that Julia must not have ice training for at least two weeks.
http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20121130/633458344.html (Russian)

"On Wednesday during training Julia unsuccessfully fell and was injured. At entry of rotation she lost balance, injuried a chin and got slight concussion. Doctors recommended her not to compete. For this reason, unfortunately, Lipnitskaia withdraws from the Grand Prix Final. Naturally, for all of us this was a bolt from the blue, but in sports from this anybody isn't insured", - the president of FFKKR Alexander Gorshkov declared
http://fsrussia.ru/news/302_yuliya-lipnickaya-snyalas-s-finala-gran-pri/ (Russian)

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Team Russia's doctor Yaroslav Bugaev told that Julia must not have ice training for at least two weeks.
This means that she could be not really ready for Russian Nationals: they will be just a week (ten days?) after she begins training again...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I feel for Julia, but I think it's for the best. Health is on the 1st place:( I'm kind of glad that Gao got such an opportunity though:) Hope she skates like in SA))) She 's impoved a lot since last season

Country
Russia
This means that she could be not really ready for Russian Nationals: they will be just a week (ten days?) after she begins training again...
Nationals will be at 24-28 Dec 2012. So she has more than three weeks before Nationals.

This season Nationals are not very important for her - she may not be qualified to Eiro and Worlds because she is too young for ISU championships.
More imporant are Junior Nationals 31 Jan - 03 Feb 2013 to qualify to Junior Worlds.

So let she fully restores.

At 2010/2011 she withdrawh from Junior Nationals because of illness. So may be.

What a bad season for Julia!
Injury at start of season, injury before TEB (minor injury, but just before Event), and now this ...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Gao Accepts Invitation to 2012 Grand Prix Final

Looks like Lipnitskaia's injury caught up with her. Hope she recovers well. When was the last time the U.S. had two entries for the GPF? :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh dear! What an opportunity for Christina but what a shame it came at the expense of Lipnitskaia. Good luck to both of them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am sorry for Julia but SUPER excited for Christina. This is a great opportunity for her and if she skates like she did at her first 2 events she will doubtless gain some more international credibility. Either way she'll be getting more international experience which is always so valuable. VERY happy for her!

I do wonder what she's doing about her Harvard Finals. I have so much respect for her that she is accomplishing so much in skating this year while going there.:yay:

Yes, yes ... you go, Gao! I'm thrilled for her. :yes:

Harvard exams are from Thu Dec 13 - Fri Dec 21, so her presence for her first batch ever seems physically possible. http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/calendar
Not sayin' that the logistics are ideal for her academically. I hope that her profs will give her extensions for any term papers/projects, but at the very least, her GPF travel will eat up a lot of study time for finals and she will return with jet lag. Ladies SP is on Fri Dec 7, and Harvard classes officially end on Tue Dec 4, so potentially she will miss some last sessions of her courses. And I imagine that while she is off campus during part of reading period, teachers will be offering potentially helpful office hours and some informal study groups of her peers might be meeting.

Trewyn

Medalist
Wow! That's pretty big news! Interesting that Gao will have an extra chance to prove herself before Nationals, since she's put herself in the mix for that coveted world team spot!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Really? And here I thought it was Kimmie and Caroline back in 2007. I guess I was wrong!

Well Rachael didn't exactly had the skate of her life there (read: bad), so it makes sense if you didn't remember it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
At least Lipnistkaia did the right thing which is more than I can say about other skaters who waited and waited and essentially did not allow someone else the chance. I know people will say that it wasn't done on purpose but..whatever.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Nationals will be at 24-28 Dec 2012. So she has more than three weeks before Nationals.

This season Nationals are not very important for her - she may not be qualified to Eiro and Worlds because she is too young for ISU championships.
More imporant are Junior Nationals 31 Jan - 03 Feb 2013 to qualify to Junior Worlds.

So let she fully restores.

At 2010/2011 she withdrawh from Junior Nationals because of illness. So may be.

What a bad season for Julia!
Injury at start of season, injury before TEB (minor injury, but just before Event), and now this ...

FSGMT said that if Julia stops training for the recommended 2 weeks, THEN she will have only 10 days of training before Nationals. (So, yes, there are three weeks until Russian Nationals, but two of those will be no training, leaving only one plus a few days.)

Mao88

Record Breaker
Well Rachael didn't exactly had the skate of her life there (read: bad), so it makes sense if you didn't remember it.

Unfortunately, Lipnitskaya suffered concussion after a fall in practice:-

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20121130/633449572.html

This is Julia's third injury in 6 months. I think she should just take a good long break to recover. Nationals will come too soon, and just as Liza T did last season, there is no point in going back into juniors. Hence, best just to start afresh next season.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Neither did Meissner in 2007...both were craptastic which was kind of too bad.

Here's hoping neither Wagner nor Gao finish last here.