Meryl and Charlie featured in Fitness Magazine blog | Golden Skate

Meryl and Charlie featured in Fitness Magazine blog

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Fun Q&A: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/blog...-and-charlie-white-shape-up-for-the-olympics/

My favorite part:

MD: We skate five days a week so we get the weekends off, which is nice, but typically we start on the ice around 7 or 8 a.m. Usually we’ll have an hour break somewhere in there, whether it’s an hour straight or two half-hour breaks, but we go for about five hours, sometimes six. When we’re done on the ice, we have a gym upstairs in the same facility where we workout and do some kind of cardio—3 days a week—weight training, agility, things like that. We throw some ballet in there sometimes, too. We avoid it at all costs.
CW: Yeah, [ballet] is a necessary evil for us. It’s never something we’ve embraced but it really helps with the skating, the posture, stuff like that.
MD: Our program this year is actually one of the most classical ballets, Giselle, so when we officially decided on doing that music this year, we unfortunately realized we weren’t going to avoid ballet this season.
CW: I do a lot of lifts with Meryl so it’s important that I have good shoulder stability so we’ll lay down a ladder, for instance, and do sort of agility. I’ll hold a kettlebell while I do it to sort of make sure I can transfer onto the ice that same sort of just balance and yet the strength with my shoulder…the most important thing is for skaters, especially, is just the core and making sure we’re strong through the core.

LOL about the ballet.....it is funny they are doing Giselle since they hate ballet so much!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Agree that Davis/White's open distaste for ballet training is amusing.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. ;) Reminds me of the press conference (after Nice Worlds, I think?) when Virtue/Moir were dreading the polka, while Davis enthused, "I love the polka, and look forward to it!" I'm paraphrasing -- but in any case, Davis wasn't kidding.

mare

Rinkside
They may be saying that they dislike taking a ballet class not that they dislike the ballet itself. If that's what they mean I know how they feel. While I find it easy to believe that an evening at the ballet might not be Charlie's cup of tea, I find it hard to believe that Meryl wouldn't enjoy it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They may be saying that they dislike taking a ballet class not that they dislike the ballet itself. If that's what they mean I know how they feel. While I find it easy to believe that an evening at the ballet might not be Charlie's cup of tea, I find it hard to believe that Meryl wouldn't enjoy it.

That's how I interpret it too. They probably are fine watching ballet, but doing ballet is probably a whole other story.

Though Giselle is a polka in their SD, clearly there's still plenty of ballet involved it seems.

mare

Rinkside
Considering how they feel about ballet class I admire them even more for their willingness to persevere at something that doesn't come naturally to them. I'm looking forward to the GPF and wish them well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off-topic question: What's the deal with Chobani?

Just curious re Chobani:
It's listed among the US Olympic Team sponsors http://www.teamusa.org/Sponsors.aspx, but is the company also sponsoring US Figure Skating athletes in particular?

- When Davis tweeted a link to this article, she appended "@Chobani".
And the end of the article has a plug for Chobani in the form of a reference to White's enjoyment of smoothies containing Chobani yogurt.

- After returning from NHK, Maia Shibutani tweeted something about missing @Chobani yogurt while in Japan.

- And I vaguely recall that in recent months, Chobani also has shown up in tweets from at least one or two lower-ranked American skaters (who do not belong to the national team).

- Madison Hubbell's favorite snack is Chobani yogurt, according to her IN bio. http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=39920&mode=P

Don't get me wrong: I have no problem with this pattern if Chobani is officially sponsoring the skaters. I'm just thinking that all the favorable mentions can't be merely a coincidence. [I'm a fan of Greek yogurt, but I like other brands too in addition to Chobani. ;)]

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For the skaters who train in the Detroit area primarily, I still suspect that their allegiance to Chobani is based on more than simply consumption for a few days at Champs Camp.

I guess what I am saying is that I hope that the occasional "shout-outs" from the skaters are a reflection of some sort of ongoing corporate support from Chobani -- if not to the individual skaters, then at least to USFSA.

Maybe KKonas or someone else can tell us more??

KKonas

Medalist
For the skaters who train in the Detroit area primarily, I still suspect that their allegiance to Chobani is based on more than simply consumption for a few days at Champs Camp.

I guess what I am saying is that I hope that the occasional "shout-outs" from the skaters are a reflection of some sort of ongoing corporate support from Chobani -- if not to the individual skaters, then at least to USFSA.

Maybe KKonas or someone else can tell us more??

Sorry to disappoint, but I have zero insight into the recent Chobani "explosion" among skaters. More than likely it is exactly what you state - corporate sponsorship of some kind with USFSA and the fact that skaters are always looking for nutritional snacks/food that will not add weight. I have posted a general overview of a recent teleconference with Davis & White in their FanFest folder.