Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points

Krislite

Medalist
Yeah, she was amazing overall especially her huge and crisp jumps, but her spins were not 100% yet and I would like to see more flexibility in her. Also, her PCS was even higher than her Olympics performance, which I don't think is right, because she still felt a little awkward after 20 months of break. But then, that is a trend in figure skating these days, and considering other skaters who get higher PCS than they deserve, I think it is fair.

PCS overall have been trending higher since the Olympics for pretty much everyone, so the comparison to her Olympics SP isn't really applicable. Rules and judges' training have changed since then. I think it's quite fair by today's standards.

Yuna admitted recently that she struggled most with spins in her training up to this event. It's clear the jumps come naturally to her but that other elements take a bit of work to gain and refine. Fortunately, she's got four months until Worlds. She lacked the flexibility of many skaters even in her peak years so I expected she would be a little rusty after two years off.

Her 3Flip and 3Lutz+3Toe were amazing, though, and even better in the warm-up!

BlackAxel

Final Flight
PCS overall have been trending higher since the Olympics for pretty much everyone, so the comparison to her Olympics SP isn't really applicable. Rules and judges' training have changed since then. I think it's quite fair by today's standards.

Aside from taking out the spiral sequence and including the option of either a 2A/3A, nothing much has really changed in the Ladies SP. Correct me if I am wrong. In respect to the PCS for the ladies' short program, the PCS have not been "trending higher."

NRW is a Senior B competition right? If anything, that may be the reason of her high PCS.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yeah, she was amazing overall especially her huge and crisp jumps, but her spins were not 100% yet and I would like to see more flexibility in her.

I thought Yuna's spins looked good, especially the first one. I think her flexibility level is fine. I actually like that she does some different spins instead of the now-standard and rather boring Biellmann positions.

It should be remembered that until 1995 or so, hyperflexibility was not required or particularly rewarded in ladies' figure skating. As recently as 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi became Olympic champion and a legend in the sport without ever approaching even Yuna's level of flexibility, much less Mao's or Julia's. Flexibility, to me, really has intrinsically little to do with skating. Beautiful line and interpretive artistry are the goals. Flexibility can be a useful, but not necessary, tool in achieving those goals. I like that Yuna does not overly rely on this one tool, unlike Julia for example.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think it's safe to say that Yuna is a unique talent. I am in awe of this.

loren

Rinkside
Great to see Yuna back in shape. I hope that she attends 4cc, and kick every one's butt. Though I like Mao, I hate, hate that
she's winning with that watering down content, as everyone else does these days. And Ashley better start putting second 3t, or else..

Last edited:

Riemann

Rinkside
Thank God. I have never been a huge fan of her artistry (much prefer Mao's), but competitive ladies figure skating has been awful recently. Without her there to force everyone to really push the technical, the sport had regressed.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Ashley's winning streak with no 2/3+3 is pitiful.

Two back-to-back gold programs hardly qualify as a winning "streak."

And would you rather have her competitors in those GP events beat her? She deserved those wins.

Last edited:

adamanna

Rinkside
so great to see Yuna back! :love: I also don't like the current trend in ladies skating. Not that I profess a Russian approach to the sport (they seem to treat FS as gymnastics - go on the ice, do all jumps, so-so spins, decent footwork... and the music is expressed mostly by skater's costume. This is especially in mens), but said 'watered down content' really begins to get annoying. I hope Yuna's presence will remedy that.

The dress is just GORGEOUS!:love::clap: Skating very good, as I expected...
I didn't like the music though... Not Yuna's character, it seemed. Choreography good, but not as brilliant as in some of her past programs. But still... :love::love:

gimble

On the Ice
The dress is just GORGEOUS!:love::clap: Skating very good, as I expected...
I didn't like the music though... Not Yuna's character, it seemed. Choreography good, but not as brilliant as in some of her past programs. But still... :love::love:

Maybe the program will grow on me, but I wasn't quite thrilled with the music either.

The dress is lovely as is her skating. I agree with some that her skating appears a bit tentative, but I'm sure it will get better. Wish she had more chances to compete...

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's great to see Kim back and doing so well, but I still say wait for the FS. The SP has 3 jumps, I think it's easier for a comeback skater to be able to show up after years away and deliver a great SP, but the FS is a different story. Yes, Kim's jumps are huge, but that doesn't mean she's necessarily going to be able to land the 12 jumps that are part of a FS consistently. Given that it's Yuna, I wouldn't be surprised if she does show a great FS, but then there's also pressure and expectations, etc. The SP, IMO, shows ones ability, whereas the FS is more evident of the ability on top of other things, like training, focus, nerves/mental state, stamina, strategy, etc. It's a very different vehicle and I'm curious to see how Yuna handles it, both her and at the bigger competitions.

Oh, my goodness! And she's this good after being away for so long? Unbelievable. Tulosai, you said it best: I am also in awe of this.

Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Did anyone else think Kim actually looked kind of like, well, not exactly bored, but more like, all in a days work, triple-triple, triple flip, double Axel, bow, Korean National Anthem, another day at the office? She didn't even finish her final pose.

I totally agree! I liked the program and all, but something was missing from it. My guess is her long hiatus.

jaylee

Medalist

There was no Korean National Anthem...but in any case, Yu-Na's goal here was to get the minimum TES (which is actually a huge challenge if you miss something major like your combo). It's not exactly a big competition where she can feed off the energy of the audience. I think there was only one official practice--they just expect skaters to show up and get out there on the ice.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121208&content_id=40581378&vkey=ice_news

"My main goal today was to get at least 28 technical points, which are required now to be allowed to go to worlds again; therefore, I concentrated more on the technical aspect here and not so much on expression," Kim said. "I know that I have to work more on [adding] emotion in the future, but tomorrow, in the free skate, I will have less stress."

bebevia

On the Ice
Then again, it's with every other skater; it irritates me when a skater drops the ending pose. I think coaches should start training their skaters to hold the pose for at least three seconds, then make a fluent exit into bows, like it's with all other artistic sports.

However, I read there is this pressure to firmly notify the end of program, as the rule recognizes the accountable program length from the beginning of choreography to when the skater finishes skating; anything beyond that, although I'm sure judges use common sense, is downgraded. Anyone can explain?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

i agree. She probably felt very inconvenienced that she had to fly all the way across the country to skate in a unknown event at a non-professional arena just to go to worlds. She herself said that she was focused purely on the technical side and just making sure she got the points. I'm sure she will bring the program to life at worlds.