Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Kim to compete at NRW Trophy for points

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Wow, welcome back Yuna! Or has she ever been away? how could she maintain such high technical level when being away for almost two years and people who work their butt off struggling to nail 4 clean triples, forget about 3lz-3T in both SP and LP? It's so unfair:)

creme cup

Rinkside
Here are some quotes Yuna's latest interview about coming back to the ice. I'm not sure if this interview was exclusive.

"I started skating when I was young and have been skating for about 17 years. It was hard to picture myself with some other career, and I didn't really know what to do. The pressure built more because so many people were paying attention to my decision. Things became unsure the harder I pondered."
"There are many reasons that kept me from continuing this career, but above all I was most concerned about strenuous training I would have to go through. Furthermore, I was so afraid even recalling the emotions I get from competitions - tension and everything. I felt the same in this competition(NRW trophy) as well.
"And I have always thought that Vancouver Olympics would be the end of my career as a skater. After then(the Olympics) I was resistant and unwilling(to keep my career as a competitive skater)."

What made it possible for her to come back to the ice was that she finally came back to settle down in Korea.
"Training with younger skaters in Korea, I got to think that It would be okay if I do not have to train overseas. It will be hard, I really know that it(training) will be hard but I got to believe that I can do it. I have done it since I was little, so I have the thought that I've got to do it."
"I missed training in Korea with fellow skaters and living in 'my own home' because it was more like 'staying for the training' when I was in Canada and US. Now I can train more lighthearted and I feel comfortable with my everyday life."

About her knew coaches, she said; "We communicate well and I feel relaxed with them, for they have been around since I was little. I want to keep this team for the next season, too."
"After making the decision I feel so lighthearted. I am at ease now that I've done my first competition well."

I am so touched by her interview. Applause for her courage:thumbsup:!

Last edited:

camion

On the Ice
I'm liking her LP. If she skates it to full potential it'll be a great program. I'm still iffy about the SP- the music is a bit drab from first listening, but I'll reserve total judgement until I see it skated with more time & polish. It was a good thing this was a B competition since it looked like she under rotated the 3T in both the SP & LP. With that being said, if Yuna gets her stamina up she shouldn't have any trouble reaching the top with the current ladies competition.

kalle

On the Ice
Excellent fan cam perspective of her superb jumps in the long program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UIGk5DHYXEE

Her jumps are still to die for :yay:
Adelina and Nagasu have some big jumps too but not sure if they cover as much ice as Yunas.Maybe Gold or Zawadski when they are "on"..

I was never the biggest of fan in the beginning of Yunas career but I absolutely loved her "homeage to Korea" LP and this one is very nice too :love:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Her jumps are still to die for :yay:
Adelina and Nagasu have some big jumps too but not sure if they cover as much ice as Yunas.Maybe Gold or Zawadski when they are "on"..

I was never the biggest of fan in the beginning of Yunas career but I absolutely loved her "homeage to Korea" LP and this one is very nice too :love:

Yuna does cover a lot of ice, even when she's skating just "ok" by many people's standards it seems.

When she's on, the height & distance she gets are monstrous.

I'm curious about her coaches. Are they Koreans? What is their training and experience? Because she certainly seems to have maintained her skills, which (as we've seen a few times before) even the best skater can't maintain alone. And yet no other Korean has made it to anywhere near YuNa's astonishing quality. It's very intriguing.

seabm7

Final Flight
I'm curious about her coaches. Are they Koreans? What is their training and experience? Because she certainly seems to have maintained her skills, which (as we've seen a few times before) even the best skater can't maintain alone. And yet no other Korean has made it to anywhere near YuNa's astonishing quality. It's very intriguing.

Yes, both of them are Koreans. They taught her the basics of figure skating when she was a child. Ms. SHIN, Hyesook is a former single skater, olympian, and very experienced teacher. Yuna learned triple jumps under her. Mr. RYU, Jonghyeon is a former ice dancer.

Nadia01

Final Flight

They are Koreans. They taught her when she was very little, though I don't know if they're the ones who taught her when she was in her jr years. (She trained w/ Korean coaches until she moved to Canada to train with Orser.)

Anyway, I think that Yuna's quality is not really due to her Korean coaches per se, but her just being very good (talented). Certainly, none of her coaches have managed to create any other top-level skaters (men or ladies) of Yuna's caliber or even a decent sr-level skater. Of course, we can also blame the terrible training environment in Korea for figure skaters (still no dedicated FS rink, for example), but then somehow Yuna managed to not only capture the worlds title, but the Oly title with really fabulous programs. So I think it's more that Yuna's really freakishly talented (and of course, very hard-working) rather than some amazing coaching technique by her early coaches. I remember reading a section from Yuna's memoir 7-MINUTE DRAMA, where Yuna talked about how specialized many foreign coaches were and how surprised she was at the kind of training instructions she received overseas.

I remember reading Shin's interview some weeks ago, in which she discussed her early years as a skater, and she said that back then Korean skating wasn't very good, and coaches didn't understand what was required of compulsory figure (it was way back when...). They just thought you had to make a pretty circular figure on the ice. It wasn't until she went to Japan to train that she learned about different edges, etc.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So I think it's more that Yuna's really freakishly talented (and of course, very hard-working) rather than some amazing coaching technique by her early coaches.

I think the coaches deserve some credit because she came to Orser with outstanding fundamental skating skills. But even great coaches can't make a champion out of someone who isn't freakishly talented, so I agree that YuNa's talent and work ethic make her the champion she became.

I think the coaches deserve some credit because she came to Orser with outstanding fundamental skating skills. But even great coaches can't make a champion out of someone who isn't freakishly talented, so I agree that YuNa's talent and work ethic make her the champion she became.

This is the conclusion I had drawn. Clearly she's talented beyond any normal expectation. But we've seen talented skaters founder because they had bad technique or were allowed to develop bad habits. YuNa's early Korean coaches, whatever their international limitations due to lack of a skating environment in their country, succeeded in teaching her meticulously. It was her good fortune to be exposed to them, as it was their good fortune to have a student with such prodigious natural gifts, plus such a capacity for hard work, to make the most of their teaching.

Riemann

Rinkside
If memory serves, it was one of her current Korean coaches that first recognized that she had the ability to be something special, so a lot of credit has to go there for recognizing and building on that natural talent. Obviously she is one in a million, but it takes good and proper training to get the most out of talent.

Last edited: