ISU World Development Trophy competitions - new in Spring 2013 | Golden Skate

ISU World Development Trophy competitions - new in Spring 2013

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISU World Development Trophy competitions - new in Spring 2013

The new competitions have "the objective of providing an incentive to ISU Members currently being inactive or having only a limited level of activity in one or several ISU sport disciplines."
http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1212

(1) ISU World Development Trophy
Figure Skating (Single Skating)
March 26-30, 2013
Cieszyn, Poland​
1. Federacio Andorrana d’Esports de Gel
2. Armenia Skating Federation
3. The Skating Federation of Azerbaijan Republic
4. Skating Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
5. Cyprus Skating Federation
6. Hellenic Ice Sports Federation
7. Ice Skating Association of Ireland
8. Icelandic Skating Association
9. The Latvian Skating Association
10. Union Luxembourgeoise de Patinage
11. Skating Association of Montenegro
12. Association of Moroccan Ice Sports
13. Fédération Monegasque de Patinage
14. Norges Skøyteforbund
15. Serbian Skating Association
16. Slovene Skating Union

(2) ISU World Development Trophy
Figure Skating (Single Skating – Ice Dance)
April 16-20, 2013
Manila, Philippines​

1. Federacion Argentina de Patinaje Sobre Hielo
2. Brazilian Ice Sports Federation
3. Chinese Taipei Skating Union (only in Ice Dance)
4. Skating Association of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
5. Hong Kong Skating Union Ltd (only in Ice Dance)
6. Grenada Figure Skating Association
7. Ice Skating Association of India
8. Ice Skating Association of Malaysia
9. Federacion Mexicana de Patinaje Sobre Hielo y Deportes de Invierno, A. C. (only in Single Skating)
10. Skating Union of Mongolia
11. New Zealand Ice Figure Skating Association Inc. (Figure) (only in Single Skating)
12. Korea Skating Union (only in Ice Dance)
13. Philippine Skating Union
14. Puerto Rican Figure Skating Federation
15. Singapore Ice Skating Association
16. South African Figure Skating Association
17. Figure and Speed Skating Association of Thailand
18. Winter Sports Association of Uzbekistan

"Based on the experience gained, the Council will evaluate this initiative and decide upon future editions, possibly including also the other ISU sports disciplines (Speed Skating, Pair Skating, Synchronized Skating) and additional and/or different participation of Members."

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4071

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Reviving this thread now that the ISU World Development Trophy events are only weeks away.

Home page for the ISU World Development Trophy, Cieszyn, Poland, Mar 26-30

Announcement page:

Single Skating only:
  • Novice A and Novice B for Girls and Boys
  • Junior for Ladies and Men

Announcement for ISU World Development Trophy, Manila, Philippines, Apr 16-20

- Figure Skating:
  • Novice A and Novice B for Girls and Boys
  • Junior for Ladies and Men
- Ice Dance:
  • Basic Novice
  • Advanced Novice
  • Junior

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is a great idea, particularly with the qualifying scores issues for 4CC's & Euros & Worlds.

kittyhawk

Rinkside
Hello! Does anybody have any info about the event in Manila (other than the pdf announcement)? I would like to go and watch in person--I googled it and have come up with no info (thus far) if it's a ticketed event etc. I already e-mailed the organizing committee a couple of days ago, but no response (yet). Thanks in advance!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
kittyhawk, if you did not already come across the pages below, maybe [with additional persistence/patience ;)] they could help lead you to more information about the ISU event in Manila?

(1) The announcement PDF says that the venue is the SM Mall of Asia International Skating Rink.
Some e-mail addresses for contacts at that mall are on this page (after scrolling down):
When I browsed around other pages on that site (which seems to pertain to two separate, but affiliated, malls/rinks), I found nothing about the ISU event - yet??
At the top right of the page is a link to a Facebook page (but no ISU information there either yet) and a place to sign up for an e-mail list.

(2) http://www.figureskatingph.com/ has no ISU information that I could see, but maybe checking back there later also would be worthwhile. (Caveat: I cannot even tell whether it is an official page for the federation or a commercial site about skating in the Philippines.)

(3) http://www.olympic.ph/nsas/skating.html is a listing of contact information for the Philippine Skating Union. It has the same e-mail address for Mr. Manuel Veguillas as the PDF, but the phone and fax numbers are different, if you resort to using those.

If you are able to attend, I hope that you have an enjoyable experience and will tell us about it. :)

kittyhawk

Rinkside
golden411, thank you for replying so quickly. I have actually come across links 1 and 3 before I posted here, and will be keeping an eye on the 2nd link. I was hoping to find out if anybody here in GS knew more before I called PSU/SM MOA (as a last resort). I will try contacting the e-mail again before calling.

I will certainly try to attend; if I can make it, I will do my best to remember stuff and give a good report. :) I am not all that knowledgeable with the technical side of skating, despite having watched a lot of it on YouTube. Maybe that should be my homework...

Again, thanks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It doesn't have to be a technical report. This is a new event, and there are all sorts of things we'd like to hear! What skaters impressed you? Did Michael Christina Martinez skate (he was so good at Jr. Worlds, lots of us will want to know about it, if he does)?

Even just how the event went off will be interesting.

Have a great time!

Kittyhawk - Whilst it hasn't been updated in a very long time now, Skateweb has some very helpful information on identifying jumps and some other elements.
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/

And yes any impressions that you could share would be great. :)

I'm curious about the rink, for example. It's in a shopping mall I guess? :p

kittyhawk

Rinkside
Ziggy, thanks for the link. Yes, the rink (Olympic-size) is in a shopping mall, one of the biggest in Asia. Thus hard for Filipino skaters to find ice time, because it's a commercial rink.

Doris, a pic of one end of the rink from a travel website: http://www.philippines-travel-guide.com/images/smma-ice-rink.jpg
Which is why I'm keen on getting info on how they'll arrange seating or if it's a free-for-all except for the judges' area.

edited to add:
I just heard from Mr. Veguillas of the PSU today. It's not a ticketed event, so everyone may watch for free, and picture taking is allowed. So I suppose I will have to go there early to get a good spot. I have no experience in attending skating events, so I'm not sure where the best place to stay would be. Near the judges, perhaps? Since programs are usually oriented with them in mind...

You definitely want to sit (well in this case stand I guess since it's in a middle of the shopping mall :/) behind the judges because otherwise you will just end up watching the skaters' backs. Skaters will spend 99% of the time presenting out to the judges' side for all of the obvious reasons.

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
does anyone know if the camp precedeing the competition will be at that rink too or somewhere else?

kittyhawk

Rinkside
thorag, the announcement noted only the SM MoA rink, so I think it's that rink only. There is another SM Mall rink in Metro Manila (SM Southmall) but AFAIK it's not Olympic-sized. There was no mention of another rink being used in the e-mail I received, just that the first 4 days were on-ice and off-ice training, while the last day would be the competition proper. I am supposing that while the event is going on, commercial activities will be suspended. And to maximize the ice time, the participants will be allowed before/after the usual mall hours.

vera01

Final Flight
ISU World Development Trophy's website used to be on ISU website, but I can't find it now. Why did they delete it from the website? They have JGP events(Latvia, Mexico, Slovakia) and WTT there but they decided to delete Development Trophy from their list?

Bea

On the Ice
ISU World Development Trophy's website used to be on ISU website, but I can't find it now. Why did they delete it from the website? They have JGP events(Latvia, Mexico, Slovakia) and WTT there but they decided to delete Development Trophy from their list?

It's still listed in the event calendar.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Results from the European development trophy in Poland. It was a four days training camp for novices and juniors, ending with a competition, a Free Skate. Represented countries see first post. Not many boys competing.

Junior Angelina Kuchvalska from Latvia got 82.35 points which I think isn't bad for a "developer".

As a contrast:

Sarra EL Oufir from Moroco got TES 1.90: 1S 0.30, Steps 0.90, 1S + 1T 0.10 and a spin 0.60.

Congrats to the Nordic girls. Juni from Norway and the Islandic girls did quite well :clap: Latvian and Slovenian girls also. Hope they continue skating and maybe we'll see some of them at international competitions in the future.

Anyways, I'm sure all of them had a great time. Anyone knows more about this event and who the teachers were?