Coughlin undergoes surgery | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Coughlin undergoes surgery

emma

Record Breaker
Really sorry to hear this - and I hope John has a full and speedy recovery too!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Strictly speaking, both C/S & S/K have to stay healthy and skate well at US Nationals to assure a trip to Worlds & also Coughlin has to not recover in time, since a medical bye to Worlds is conceivable (but unlikely). AFAIR, hip labrum surgery rehab is a 3 to 6 months recovery?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Strictly speaking, both C/S & S/K have to stay healthy and skate well at US Nationals to assure a trip to Worlds & also Coughlin has to not recover in time, since a medical bye to Worlds is conceivable (but unlikely). AFAIR, hip labrum surgery rehab is a 3 to 6 months recovery?

Strictly speaking, these are the two pairs teams that are currently eligible to go to Worlds; I'm pretty sure Coughlin's sitting out this season and recalibrating for the Olympics, which means he's being smart. Things stay as they are, no one else can.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From said entry:
Now to what I want to talk about in this entry – Call it a declaration. I'm putting the world on notice. I'm looking at this as a twist in the story, the juicy details in the made-for-TV adventure we call life. An injury won't define me…but how I respond to it will. My whole career has been one big test of will. So, in truth, I wouldn't have it any other way. The first one in and the last one out, I'm looking for every possible angle to a quicker, stronger recovery. They say most people come out of this better than before, that I may have been unknowingly favoring and compensating for some time now. If that is the case, I look forward to re-discovering what 100% feels like.

I like John's attitude regarding this process. It's really easy to let an unexpected setback get you down,so I'm happy that he's going to try to make the most out of it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I feel very sorry to hear about John's injury and surgery :no:...I really wish him a full recovery. I was rooting for Denny and Coughlin among the current US pairs this season.
One fortunate side of his most-unfortunate injury, if there is any, is this is pre-Olympic season, not the Olympic season yet, so that he can take enough time to rest as needed first, before starting his rehab.

Thank you so much, golden and Mrs. P! :) for posting John's blog. That's one of the reasons for me to root for John, not only as a skater but also as a person. :yes: It's really nice and comforting to me to read his blog entry, especially after having read a number of post-comp comments from skaters and/or fans, which are sometimes saddening/disappointing to me.