Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

emdee

Final Flight
Is
it your idea of "being amused"? I am scrared to think what I should expect when you are "boiled up". You are seriously asking me what Chan has to do with judging system and currupted ISU events. .

No I wasnt - I was asking you what Chan had to do with Russia getting a second spot - I thought that was the topic of conversation.

Am glad you are finally amused . Banish Fallstaff and banish all the world.... laughter is good for the system.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What does Chan have to do with this. I can't believe Russia had the nerve to even suggest this!

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Hmmm personally I don't think this request is fair. However, I do believe that Plushenko is the only Russian man who can get the job done and secure 2 spots for Sochi.

Though it kind of raises the question as to why Plushenko would choose to compete at Euros and not at Worlds? He would definitely make Top 10 at Worlds, though with Chan, Fernandez, (Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda -- whoever Japan decides to send to Worlds) competing, maybe he is worried about his placement.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hmmm personally I don't think this request is fair. However, I do believe that Plushenko is the only Russian man who can get the job done and secure 2 spots for Sochi.

Though it kind of raises the question as to why Plushenko would choose to compete at Euros and not at Worlds? He would definitely make Top 10 at Worlds, though with Chan, Fernandez, (Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda -- whoever Japan decides to send to Worlds) competing, maybe he is worried about his placement.

That's easy, because apart from Fernandez sometimes, no one else in Europe is skating well ATM. Plushenko should be able to win gold fairly easily, or silver at the lowest if Fernandez skates a blinder. The guys who are usually contenders in Europe like Joubert,, Amodio, Brezina, Gatchinski, Verner have all been skating pretty terribly so far this season. Voronov and Menshov have been okay, but PCS are not even close to Plushenko, and only 2 other guys from Russia can go to Euros anyways among the 4 (besides Plush) being in the running.

Worlds he could very well not win. He's 30, idk if he could do 2 or 3 quads anymore. And Chan, Dai, Hanyu PCS are huge, Kozuka and Fernandez PCS can be pretty huge if they skate well. There's a good chance Plush could be OTP, or at least not win, at Worlds, but at Euros, he'd finish 2nd at lowest almost for sure and has a great shot at 1st.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What has Chan to do with this?
You talk of inflation I see you have Chanphobia!

Right on!:laugh:

Isn't this thread all about Russians asking for a favor from ISU for the Sochi game? Why did Chan's name appear here? A desperate effort to try to change the focus of the thread, or this "Chanphobia"?:rofl:

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.

I don't think it's fair to countries that don't have the infrastructure to host.

LRK

Record Breaker
That's easy, because apart from Fernandez sometimes, no one else in Europe is skating well ATM. Plushenko should be able to win gold fairly easily, or silver at the lowest if Fernandez skates a blinder. The guys who are usually contenders in Europe like Joubert,, Amodio, Brezina, Gatchinski, Verner have all been skating pretty terribly so far this season. Voronov and Menshov have been okay, but PCS are not even close to Plushenko, and only 2 other guys from Russia can go to Euros anyways among the 4 (besides Plush) being in the running.

Worlds he could very well not win. He's 30, idk if he could do 2 or 3 quads anymore. And Chan, Dai, Hanyu PCS are huge, Kozuka and Fernandez PCS can be pretty huge if they skate well. There's a good chance Plush could be OTP, or at least not win, at Worlds, but at Euros, he'd finish 2nd at lowest almost for sure and has a great shot at 1st.

Except if this were true, he would not have gone to Euros last year, now, would he? Have you any idea what conditon he was in then? He said himself, that when he elected to do no quad in the short, due to the excruciating pain, he thought he would end up 5th or something. Whatever Plushenko might or might not be - a coward is definitely not one of them.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Except if this were true, he would not have gone to Euros last year, now, would he? Have you any idea what conditon he was in then? He said himself, that when he elected to do no quad in the short, due to the excruciating pain, he thought he would end up 5th or something. Whatever Plushenko might or might not be - a coward is definitely not one of them.

I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.

All right, it seems I misunderstood. I was a bit fearful after I hit send that I had got a bit - er - carried away. (I generally am more careful before I comment... ) My apologies for my mistake - and thanks for the explanation! :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I agree. If Plushenko wins Europeans again which is highly possible, that'll be the fear that people carry untill meeting him again on the Olympic ice.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't think it's fair to countries that don't have the infrastructure to host.

That's a really good point. Also, thinking about it, this isn't like football - where host contry/ies (if it's joint hosting like this year's Euros) always are automatically qualified (for the rest it's basically a two-year-qualification process) - where the whole point of the event is, obviously, that specific sport. This is the Olympics, and it's doubtful just how high FS is on the agenda of any potential host country.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.

Except for Kovtun who just won Juniors, and Arthur- if he comes backto his usual self-, I dont see anyone else been taken away the Olympic spot in first place. Besides Arthur and Voronov were the ones who messed up at Nice and Russia ended up with one spot. Now they can very well go to London and take the second spot back. As Mishin said, its up to the guy who wants to go badly to Olympics to get that second spot to give himself a chance.

My feeling is that if Russia wants to look good, they should just make sure that the Olympic ice is hard and smooth. From what I can tell, they did not achieve that for GPF this weekend. I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?

My apologies to the people of Russia if I'm wrong.

spikydurian

Medalist
Perhaps a precedent can be set to allow host Olympic countries two spots for every event in figure skating? It is then fair to apply this rule to S. Korea too in 2018.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

very good analysis, I believe this is what Mishin and Zhenya have in mind too

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

First of all, I would like to see the official announcement of ISU or Rus Fed. This news isn't sure.

You are right. The three medalists of GPF were asked about Plushy's participation on Sochi Games. Sorry this on Russian language, but the goole translater can help us.

http://www.itar-tasskuban.ru/news/a...m_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=itar-tass_kuban

I think too, it will be strategic decision, if Plushy won't go the Wolrds.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?

Yes but we have seen competitions -splatfests before. And it was not all the events as bad.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
My feeling is that if Russia wants to look good, they should just make sure that the Olympic ice is hard and smooth. From what I can tell, they did not achieve that for GPF this weekend. I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?

My apologies to the people of Russia if I'm wrong.

I recall reading somewhere that the Japanese skaters complained that the ice was too 'soft', or it was too thin at the rink ends. Not sure if it was a one-off thing though, seeing how the men pretty much killed it in the free.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Is

No I wasnt - I was asking you what Chan had to do with Russia getting a second spot - I thought that was the topic of conversation.

Am glad you are finally amused . Banish Fallstaff and banish all the world.... laughter is good for the system.
I always thought it's "Falstaff". Never mind. I know for sure that native English-speakers are the worst English teachers. Almost all of them are monolingual which make them be rather limited in comprehending texts written by EFL speakers. Or you might be a non-native too, so it could have explained the glitch in understanding. If. No matter how many times I reread my post, I couldn't find any reason why you failed to comprehend why Chan was brought up. I'll try again in simple language. The topic is the second spot for Russia in Sochi, which is for the sake of Plu, i.e. he won't need to skate in both Team and Men events if there is another guy in the team. Needless to say that it's all about his comeback and getting one more OM, preferably OGM. Once his second OGM was stolen in Vancouver causing him serious upset, as well as the greatest damage to this sport after SLC. The reason of that was unfair judging. Watching how judging regarding Chan is working now, and the last two seasons, people, myslef including, have all the reasons possible to believe that corrupted judging might take the place in Sochi too to give the OGM to the "right" guy. So, the royalty Plu shouldn't even bother to attend such an event. Hope now it helps. And, dear, keep in my mind that getting the answer from the poster on forum is not the right, it's a privilege. I don't care. I am always at your service. There are those who are not. You are not withing your rights to demand the answer with all your !! or ?? marks. But I am happy that you once again demonstrated bad manners.

This thread was started by the same poster who started "Mishin slams judges" thread or somesuch, clearly for the purpose of bashing Plu team. He/she starts the thread, them post no comments nonewhatsoever, knowing very well that there are always those frustrated ones who will play his/her game. "Russophobia!" or better "Pluphobia!" I would shout if I could . There is still no announcement absolutely in any R-media or any other source possible. All R-officials were there giving interviews left and right. Ottavio was there too. How did it happen that he still never heard about such a request from Russia if it indeed took place. Someone wanted more of Chan? Here you are. There is a neighboring thread where people were protecting him till death, as if it was a matter of life for them, that the man became a victim of some writing witch. But here the situation is the same or worse and no one has any problems discussing some rumours. Why not, if it's not about Chan but about Plu. He is not untouchable unlike the Canadian. Carry on.

The only worthy argument that was brought up here is the possibility to give countries more spots than the current rules allow. Like for example when one country has two (one?) medalists plus the 3rd (+2nd) skater/pair placed not lower than 10th, then the country should get the 4th spot. Japan would have a chance in both Men and Ladies field, Russia- in pairs. Having stronger field at Worlds only attract the audience which is never a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator: