2012 GPF Ladies' Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Ladies' Short Program

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I can't see how Ashley got higher PCS, especially SS than Akiko and Kiira. God, her PCS inflation is insane.

How did she manage to get 66+ for that program. With the spiral sequence factored in, she would approach Joannie Rochette's score at the 2010 Olympics. And the 2010 Olympics was the most inflated event ever.

Even Kostner with amazing short program didn't get that kind of score Ashley is getting. And Ashley doesn't have 3Lutz or 3x3.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Didn't Kostner get 69 at WTT and 70+ at the Challenge Cup?

It's more of an exhibition event rather than something legit, all scores were hyperinflated. And this is really early in the season, Kostner never got this kind of score this early.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I get the same impression as well. She approaches her skating with a very professional and work-like attitude - get the job done. Unlike the great American women before her though, Wagner is, should we say...unremarkable.

The only American women in recent years (2000 onward) that I would say definitely "outshine" Ashley are Michelle and Sasha, and Sasha was horribly inconsistent. IMO, Ashley is better than Rachael, Mirai, Alissa, Kimmie, Sarah or Emily EVER were.

emma

Record Breaker
I can see the work-like attitude that many see in Ashley and the sort of intentional studied approach to each element that others have noted. I do see it. But I also see something else, so perhaps I just subjectively feel more like blue-idealist might....I am really, really enjoying Ashley's skating this season, and I truly think this SP is a gem. I feel the intensity of the program and feel she is putting out a better and better version each time. I just don't feel the unremarkable at all....but, I understand why others might.

Huge shout out of thanks to Mao88 - I so appreciate all the effort you put into finding and posting these videos...just watched the BritishEurosport versions you posted...I love those commentators!

shine

Record Breaker
In fact I didn't. Yes it is possible to perform a much more intricate and choreographically dazzling program that is more difficult than a program with more triple jumps but less transitions and etc. Kostner always had a wonderful quality to her skating and has maintained her spin, step, basic skating skills qualities throughout the years no more no less difficult but her jump layout has gotten easier.

Lol whatever, if you are an one-upper, the kind of person who-always-has-to-get-his-last-say, I couldn't care less. I'm done arguing over this. I think we both know - whether you'd like to admit it or not - that Carolina's programs, by the most strict and stringent definition of the phrase "watered-down", have been "watered-down"; PC "turn to more conservative jump layout."
The first bolded phrase seems so describe precisely what you are doing when you say something like you did in the second bolded phrase? :laugh:

You seem to not be aware of the fact that when people say a "watered-down program" they could very well be refering to a program where choreophy and transitions that were previously there have be taken out or made easier. Are you new to figure skating?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like Akiko's SP so much. Wish she would get rid of that barely-Beillman position in the Layback, though. Really not a good look and it's so slow. People don't seem to be realizing that the "clear increase of speed" feature now counts again, giving you another way to get a Level 4. Just do the sideways position, then transition to a classic layback position with a clear increase of speed and hold the position for 8 revolutions, and then finish with the haircutter position. No Beillman needed.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I like Akiko's SP so much. Wish she would get rid of that barely-Beillman position in the Layback, though. Really not a good look and it's so slow. People don't seem to be realizing that the "clear increase of speed" feature now counts again, giving you another way to get a Level 4. Just do the sideways position, then transition to a classic layback position with a clear increase of speed and hold the position for 8 revolutions, and then finish with the haircutter position. No Beillman needed.

Agreed. Though I adore that crazy transition where she hydroplanes and twizzles before entering her spin, and the sheer attitude she displays is just a treat.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think she is very athletic but for some reasons, she doesn't project very well. What I mean is she seems to go through her music very robotically as though she doesn't feel or understand what she is skating to. If this continues, she can land all the 3-3 in the world, but her upper potential will likely be limited. The "Russian ballerina" generation for the 2010-14 cycle really has not lived up to their hype whatsoever.

Exactly because the key to their success in seniors was believed to be jumps and as everyone can see now jumps couldn't be more meaningless with no lutzs or 3/3's done by asada or Wagner or kostner or ando. The focus was all wrong.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The only American women in recent years (2000 onward) that I would say definitely "outshine" Ashley are Michelle and Sasha, and Sasha was horribly inconsistent.

Actually, the only current US ladies I'd say that are/were more consistent than Cohen was are Wagner and Flatt (circa 2009). Everyone else is worse.

BUT- Cohen had higher scoring potential than both of them- combined :p (however, I think that's beginning to change as the judges really seem to be taking to Wagner)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
...But I also see something else, so perhaps I just subjectively feel more like blue-idealist might....I am really, really enjoying Ashley's skating this season, and I truly think this SP is a gem. I feel the intensity of the program and feel she is putting out a better and better version each time. I just don't feel the unremarkable at all....but, I understand why others might.

I thought Wagner's SP was better live - in exhibition format. Not sure how or why but I don't quite feel the same way I did when I watch it on the computer or even on an HD TV...

I just watched all the videos. What a great competition! For some reason I like short programs better than long. I think it has to do with the balance of different kinds of elements. Plus, it seem easier for the skaters to maintain the choreographic theme throughout the whole program.

I thought Suzuki did the most with her music. The music said go, go, go and she went, went, went! :)

Asada's program was the most satisfying aesthetically, though. :love: Her performance delights the eye and soothes the soul. :yes:

herios

Medalist
Exactly because the key to their success in seniors was believed to be jumps and as everyone can see now jumps couldn't be more meaningless with no lutzs or 3/3's done by asada or Wagner or kostner or ando. The focus was all wrong.

Oh, common,
Don't you see that Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva are not as good jumpers anymore than once were? Is one thing to jump at puberty and a totally different ballgame with a matured body.
Artistically they are not souped yet and technically are not as good as a few years ago. Most likely Lipnitkaya will follow suit.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh, common,
Don't you see that Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva are not as good jumpers anymore than once were? Is one thing to jump at puberty and a totally different ballgame with a matured body.
Artistically they are not souped yet and technically are not as good as a few years ago. Most likely Lipnitkaya will follow suit.

Part of the reason they aren't as technically good is that they are trying jumps like lutz's and 3/3's which are hard. When they are older and more mature they will stop doing such things and be much better and have better pcs and all that.

calstudent

Rinkside
The first bolded phrase seems so describe precisely what you are doing when you say something like you did in the second bolded phrase? :laugh:

You seem to not be aware of the fact that when people say a "watered-down program" they could very well be refering to a program where choreophy and transitions that were previously there have be taken out or made easier. Are you new to figure skating?

Lol, like I said I'm done arguing over this. I would've expected better reading comprehension skills from someone who posted over 1000+ posts on a forum. Go back and read my posts again and maybe, just maybe you might get the hang of it.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Someone stated earlier in this thread that Asada would have to up her technical if she wanted to be competitive with Kim.
Since Kim's present technical ability is an unknown until the next few days that stance is a little premature imo.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe Kim will have to lower her technical content. She lost 2011 worlds because of a single flip and her attempted 3/3 that she had to abandon and then do a 3/2. Asada and everyone else shouldn't change a thing! If Yuna wants to do hard jumps she takes more risks for mistakes.