2012 GPF Ladies' Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Ladies' Short Program

Buttercup

Record Breaker
l'etoile: :laugh: I hear MK has a new, non-skating job. And I promise to discuss Yu-Na on the NRW thread... actually, I already have!

Loved Akiko's SP. It's so COOL! :cool:
That's because Akiko is so cool! I wish her federation would do more to promote her... for her to have gotten only the 4th-highest PCS is ridiculous.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Thought Akiko and Elizaveta were both undermarked. I would love for Akiko to win, if she can perform as well as NKH, she should have a good shot.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Liza, Julia and Adelina totally dominated juniors and have been landing on senior podiums from their very first day, while two of them are now having growing up issues. How can someone say that they didn't live to their hype while only 14-16 and still growing, is beyond me. I mean how many girls went from juniors to skate among the best seniors the last few years after Mao and Yuna? Julia qualified on her first season and Liza made the gpf for the second time, I suppose many ladies would want that spot. And I don't remember any of the girls today except for Mao rocking the podiums when they were 16 years old. I m glad that the Ashley of 2009 I had seen live and Ashley 2012 are totally different skaters, I m not writing off Russian girls at this age.i think they ve managed more than well.

Nadia01

Final Flight
That never stopped some people! ;):laugh: But good for you for sticking with what you know!

LOL. I prefer not to comment on things I don't know very well. That's why I rarely discuss spins (b/c I don't know all the spin rules) or ice dance. Frankly I find ice dance a bit dull.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Do let me know if you come across their SD to Giselle. It'd be interesting to see how you might take on their masterpiece this season.

Mmm. Do I really want to watch this? Giselle is also one of my all time favorite ballets...and if they mangled it, I'd rather not see it.

calstudent

Rinkside
Mmm. Do I really want to watch this? Giselle is also one of my all time favorite ballets...and if they mangled it, I'd rather not see it.

That's really up to you isn't it? FYI I wouldn't have called it a masterpiece if they "mangled" it.

Nadia01

Final Flight
That's really up to you isn't it? FYI I wouldn't have called it a masterpiece if they "mangled" it.

Except I suspect you and I have a very different artistic sensibility as displayed by my dislike of Mao's free and your disagreeing my dislike of it.

calstudent

Rinkside
Except I suspect you and I have a very different artistic sensibility as displayed by my dislike of Mao's free and your disagreeing my dislike of it.

"very different', a bit hyperbolic don't you think? "Artistic sensibility" aside, Meryl and Charlie's SD is the highest scoring SD routine this season and many, including commentators, have lavishly praised it and judges awarded them numerous 10s in the pcs. So yes, I personally think it's an artistic triumph but looking at it objectively, it's not hard to discern and conclude it as a masterpiece.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza, Julia and Adelina totally dominated juniors and have been landing on senior podiums from their very first day, while two of them are now having growing up issues. How can someone say that they didn't live to their hype while only 14-16 and still growing, is beyond me. I mean how many girls went from juniors to skate among the best seniors the last few years after Mao and Yuna? Julia qualified on her first season and Liza made the gpf for the second time, I suppose many ladies would want that spot. And I don't remember any of the girls today except for Mao rocking the podiums when they were 16 years old. I m glad that the Ashley of 2009 I had seen live and Ashley 2012 are totally different skaters, I m not writing off Russian girls at this age.i think they ve managed more than well.

Kanako Murakami's first season as a senior, she made it to the GPF, and got a bronze. She won everything as a junior the year before. I don't think the Russians are that good, frankly. The ones still growing will likely to lose all of their jumps.

Of all of them, maybe Adelina has the best shot. Liza is just not good, she can jump, but she won't be a factor. Rachael, Mirai had 6-7 clean jumps and look where they are.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh I forgot my dear Kanako, thanx! Well she also had growth issues and got some iffy season after the first but she is coming back again. Ok that makes 4 of them now. Mirai is coming back fine, she was second alternate for GPF.

Nadia01

Final Flight
"very different', a bit hyperbolic don't you think? "Artistic sensibility" aside, Meryl and Charlie's SD is the highest scoring SD routine this season and many, including commentators, have lavishly praised it and judges awarded them numerous 10s in the pcs. So yes, I personally think it's an artistic triumph but looking at it objectively, it's not hard to discern and conclude it as a masterpiece.

I'm not sure what you want me to say? I said I don't watch ice dance. I've never been a fan of dance, and I've never watched it, not even during Oly. So I'm not going to appreciate anything about it. I don't really get the almighty Bolero routine either. It's a pleasant skating, but nothing more to me.

And I already explained why I don't like Mao's LP this season, and I'm not sure why you prefer to say our taste/sensibility isn't "very different"? You said you like it. I said I don't. Is it supposed to be "very same" then? Or even "mildly different"? Even if we share the exact same taste in music and other artistic side of figure skating, since I don't appreciate dance, I'm not going to find the SD "artistic triumph". Most likely I'm going to click away after about a minute of watching it on YouTube.

calstudent

Rinkside
I'm not sure what you want me to say? I said I don't watch ice dance. I've never been a fan of dance, and I've never watched it, not even during Oly. So I'm not going to appreciate anything about it. I don't really get the almighty Bolero routine either. It's a pleasant skating, but nothing more to me.

And I already explained why I don't like Mao's LP this season, and I'm not sure why you prefer to say our taste/sensibility isn't "very different"? You said you like it. I said I don't. Is it supposed to be "very same" then? Or even "mildly different"? Even if we share the exact same taste in music and other artistic side of figure skating, since I don't appreciate dance, I'm not going to find the SD "artistic triumph". Most likely I'm going to click away after about a minute of watching it on YouTube.

Geez, how about an "oh ok, thanks for the info," for a start? Yes I know that you don't watch ice dance - you made that very clear in your post. I was supplementing you with facts because you lacked the knowledge in them.

And I'm not saying our tastes in arts aren't different. No two people can have exactly the same appreciation for the arts. What I was drawing your attention to was the fallacious extrapolation you made based on one single fact - we have different views on Mao's LP this season - and took a mile leap to your conclusion of "our 'taste/sensibility' is 'very different'. It is pure rhetoric and a logical fallacy at that.

Look whatever, if you want to take my posts personally and get all emotional over them, be my guest. I've got better things to do than to quarrel over silly things on a forum. Given your strong stance on adapting ballet onto the ice, I was genuinely curious to hear what you might think of their SD this season. Turns out, it's not worth my time.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Geez, how about an "oh ok, thanks for the info," for a start? Yes I know that you don't watch ice dance - you made that very clear in your post. I was supplementing you with facts because you lacked the knowledge in them.

And I'm not saying our tastes in arts aren't different. No two people can have exactly the same appreciation for the arts. What I was drawing your attention to was the fallacious extrapolation you made based on one single fact - we have different views on Mao's LP this season - and took a mile leap to your conclusion of "our 'taste/sensibility' is 'very different'. It is pure rhetoric and a logical fallacy at that.

Look whatever, if you want to take my posts personally and get all emotional over them, be my guest. I've got better things to do than to quarrel over silly things on a forum. Given your strong stance on adapting ballet onto the ice, I was genuinely curious to hear what you might think of their SD this season. Turns out, it's not worth my time.

I believe our taste differ based on your posts and how you rebutted every point I made. There is nothing more to be said.

I don't take your posts personally. I think it is your who do. I don't care that you find Mao's Swan Lake beautifully artistic. I disagree for the reasons you already know.

If you wanted to know more about my thoughts on skaters attempting ballet, you could have suggested other non-dance skaters knowing that I don't watch dance. It is hard for me to give an opinion on something I have very little interest in or follow with any care.

You probably know by now that I'm a Yuna fan. A lot of people seemed excited about her Les Mis LP b/c they love the musical, but I don't care about the story or the musical (I'm not a big musical fan), so I'm not as excited about her music choice. My excitement / interest in Les Mis is on par with The Kiss of the Vampire, another movie/show I know nothing about. So I have no strong opinion one way or the other about her music choice or how she's adapting it for LP. I'm the wrong person to ask b/c I have zero interest and knowledge.

In the same vein, I'm the wrong person to ask about ice dance b/c I know and care that little about it. I frankly find most ice dance routines boring and not very interesting to look at. So I'm not likely to have anything constructive or interesting or value-added about the SD you want to discuss.

calstudent

Rinkside
I believe our taste differ based on your posts and how you rebutted every point I made. There is nothing more to be said.

I don't take your posts personally. I think it is your who do. I don't care that you find Mao's Swan Lake beautifully artistic. I disagree for the reasons you already know.

If you wanted to know more about my thoughts on skaters attempting ballet, you could have suggested other non-dance skaters knowing that I don't watch dance. It is hard for me to give an opinion on something I have very little interest in or follow with any care.

You probably know by now that I'm a Yuna fan. A lot of people seemed excited about her Les Mis LP b/c they love the musical, but I don't care about the story or the musical (I'm not a big musical fan), so I'm not as excited about her music choice. My excitement / interest in Les Mis is on par with The Kiss of the Vampire, another movie/show I know nothing about. So I have no strong opinion one way or the other about her music choice or how she's adapting it for LP. I'm the wrong person to ask b/c I have zero interest and knowledge.

In the same vein, I'm the wrong person to ask about ice dance b/c I know and care that little about it. I frankly find most ice dance routines boring and not very interesting to look at. So I'm not likely to have anything constructive or interesting or value-added about the SD you want to discuss.

General reminder: please do read other people's posts carefully before you post your own - e.g. I said very explicitly "no two people can have exactly the same appreciation for the arts." What I had pointed out - and you would've realized this if you read my posts more thoroughly - was the nature of your hyperbolic rhetoric, possibly to justify your unfound skepticism. It escapes me why you felt the need to regurgitate a very obvious point that was established prior to your post, oh wait I think I do know why. It comes down to either a) you barely read my post or b) you didn't have anything better to say.

Ok and there seems to be a little misunderstanding here so let me make this very clear for you:

Yes, you're the wrong person to ask about ice dance but I asked your opinion on D/W's SD before you told me you never watch ice dance.

I then said, "if you come across the SD do let me know," I did not even suggest you watch it. It was a polite/implicit way of saying, yes I understand that you're the wrong person to ask but it'd been an interesting point of comparison had you been the right person to ask.

Even when you asked me if you should watch it, I simply told you that "it's up to you."

So again, it escapes me why you felt the need to state something that was quite plainly obvious had you read my posts more thoroughly or it again comes down to either a) you barely read my post or b) you didn't have anything better to say.

That's all. This is truly madness. Don't people ever read things anymore? I wouldn't have to tell people to up their reading comprehension skills on a forum - where people selectively choose to come to discuss in the manner of writing and reading posts.

prettykeys

Medalist
Look whatever, if you want to take my posts personally and get all emotional over them, be my guest. I've got better things to do than to quarrel over silly things on a forum.
:confused:

You've quarreled with multiple posters (Buttercup, shine, Nadia) since your short stay at Golden Skate. I'd suggest that you be less emotional and chill out; you'll have more fun that way.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

:confused:

You've quarreled with multiple posters (Buttercup, shine, Nadia) since your short stay at Golden Skate. I'd suggest that you be less emotional and chill out; you'll have more fun that way.

I'd have to agree with prettykeys here. It seems like you're taking other posters' remarks more seriously than they do of yours. This isn't a hyper-competitive debate class at Berkeley, it's an online forum about skating. Anyway, it was pretty clear to me early on that Nadia01 didn't feel like watching D/W's SD. Just try and read between the lines of what others say and calm down.

Am I saying you can't debate about skating? Heck no. People do it all the time. Just calm down and try not to go on the defensive all the time like someone's about to offend you and your family. Like prettykeys said, you'll have more fun that way.