2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP

aftertherain

Record Breaker
With all these posts about Yuna, it's It's like she's competing at the GPF! ;) (much appreciated though).

I've only seen Mao's performance, but it seems like Mao's the only one rejuvenated by news of Yuna's comeback. Gotta have good-ol' fashioned rivalry to get you pumping again!

I think it was extremely amazing that Mao performed so well under injury. That girl's determination is definitely inhibiting her pain pathways! I do hope she recovers really well though, I'd hate to see another MK 2006 situation.

I mean, how dare the ladies have a bad event. Don't they know that anonymous internet commentators will bash them for all their hardwork and effort if they don't produce perfection every time!?!?!?!?!

THIS. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
I agree. I suspect Ashley's going to defend her title in January. I don't know how Mirai & Gracie will do tho.

Icey

Record Breaker
any news as to if Ashley was seriously injured in her fall. She kept grabbing her hip, even in the k&C.

katymay

Medalist
I will never understand why some people are so mean when a skater skates badly. (Mostly referring to Ashley here, but it truly is a generally applicable point).

The two falls were unfortunate, but the rest of the program was good. One problem I have with Ashley though, is she tends to thrust her arms up in a number of places. It is inelegant (for want of a better word) and it distracts from her skating.
Mao is not the Mao of old, but she is still beautiful, light and graceful. I do not think it is possible to teach a skater to float across the ice in a 'Mao'like way. With her long program though, I kept thinking back to Oksana's program (which I preferred to Mao's) to the same music. And then of course, I got to thinking, what the heck ever happened to Oksana?

lavender

Record Breaker
That was a crazy fall Ashley took. That's one of those fluke things that I don't see happening to her again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley's going to win Nationals. I mean really, who else is going to win Nationals. She's the only one that's getting the scores internationally.

*groan* Oh boy, let's not start this....

The skate gods hopefully are sleeping and hear none of this ;)

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
So proud of Mao with situation having thought of withdraw due to her pack pain. Besides,I adore how Sato have her optimism.
It's not best performance from Gao,but I feel happy for her,too.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait- Kim was perfect from 2008 to 2010? 2009: TEB LP she utterly omitted the flip, SA LP was a meltdown (that was actually scored lower Wagner's LP here) and she wasn't great at the GPF as well. And she went onto have her best skate ever at the most important competition of her career.

Yu Na has almost always built up a big lead in the SP that has allowed her to make mistakes in the LP. Even a 6-7 point lead is difficult for someone else to overcome when Yu Na has her 3-3 and high PCS. I personally think that others are more expressive skaters, but her impressive jumping ability cannot be denied.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
tulosai said:
I will never understand why some people are so mean when a skater skates badly. (Mostly referring to Ashley here, but it truly is a generally applicable point).

While I generally agree, I don't see Ashley getting any hate here - not even a lot of criticism.
And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Ashley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yu Na has almost always built up a big lead in the SP that has allowed her to make mistakes in the LP. Even a 6-7 point lead is difficult for someone else to overcome when Yu Na has her 3-3 and high PCS. I personally think that others are more expressive skaters, but her impressive jumping ability cannot be denied.

No one was denying her jumping ability though. And even with her big leads, Yuna wasn't alwaysperfect; which was the point of ImaginaryPogue's post. One can argue that Yuna got her mistakes "out of the way" (among other factors) in the 2008-2009 GPF to win at 4CC and Worlds.

ANYWAY, like I said, not a Yuna thread!

lavender

Record Breaker
While I generally agree, I don't see Ashley getting any hate here - not even a lot of criticism.
And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Asgley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.

I agree on the pcs for Akiko.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Honestly, I feel as if Suzuki is kind of overrated here. (That said, I do think she should have won NHK.)

I'm just not sure I quite understand what everyone likes about her. I find her FS unremarkable and frankly a bit boring at parts.

sapphiresky

Rinkside
Congrats to Mao for sticking it out despite feeling like she couldn't push through during the warm-up! Proud of her!
She still has room for improvement but did well anyway, which puts her in a good position for the rest of the season.
I saw some audience members wiping away tears after her performance- that says it all :clap:

Funny...some of the previous posts made me feel like I was in a different competition thread :p

Hope Ashley isn't hurt from her fall, and am glad to see her and Akiko medal. Liza also did very well, and fought to the end.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Honestly, I feel as if Suzuki is kind of overrated here. (That said, I do think she should have won NHK.)

I'm just not sure I quite understand what everyone likes about her. I find her FS unremarkable and frankly a bit boring at parts.

Have you ever seen Akiko skate live? If not, I can understand your lack of understanding. IMO, she's one of those skaters whose qualities don't come fully across on the screen. Regardless of program. She should have won NHK, definitely.

And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Asgley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.

I think a case could be made here for reversing the order of finish, Akiko in silver and Ashley with bronze. But with the flawed skates very close either way. I don't think there's a strong case for an Akiko-wuzrobbed here, though, not at this competition. And I'm an Akiko fan.

pista04

On the Ice
I am very proud of Ashley. Not for getting a silver, which is something to still be proud of, but for the fact that she stood up after that fall and kept going. That's my girl, and thats why I am so proud she is representing my country. It seemed like an error and fall that may be typical for that jump, so I don't thiiink she will be injured, but you can never be sure. I am excited for her to show her best at nationals and worlds! I have never been this excited for a girl who did not win. =] I see the argument that she won on PCS.....but I think she deserved that PCS boost. She sold that program like I have never seen, and I was amazed at how, after her pause on the ice, she picked herself up and she went with such speed!! There was no hesitation, and you could see that in how she skated to the music.

That's maturity, concentration and mental fortitude. No self-destruction like I dealt with in Cohen and Czisny. I have so much faith she will win her 2nd US Nationals.