2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP

gmyers

Record Breaker
So, who deserve to win then? All female except Liza had really bad performance. I also think Mao is overscored but who should win? Should they give award to no one?

No one at all -senior ladies needs to be suspended

bixby

Final Flight
So, who deserve to win then? All female except Liza had really bad performance. I also think Mao is overscored but who should win? Should they give award to no one?

For this splatfest, Mao was the deserved winner. The thought that she could win with ONLY two different type of triples should be included in the OVERHAUL of this scoring system. It is pathetic!

Leonardo

Final Flight
Nobody deserved to win here. Like no one is deserving of being NHk winner this year. Ladies skating has reached such a low level it is pathetic and ridiculous for there to be winners based on what bein a winner previously meant. Everyone is throwing triple jumps right out of the sport. It is so ridiculous and wins should not be happening. Just no winners. Not until the participants respect what they are doing again. There is no respect or effort from the participants. It is ridiculous and the while sport idea is a laughable joke and jumps don't matter anymore to the ladies and all wins need to be voided this season.

your post is the only really laughable thing here

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Oh I know she was the best in Sochi.

But don't you think that it is a PROBLEM? That the senior ladies are so technically INEPT that a skater who can execute only 2 different triple jumps correctly can come and win just b/c she managed to not fall?

I'm not dinging Mao herself, but the general trend I'm seeing in ladies' competitions. It is disappointing to see programs with very low technical content.

I'm not sure if it's a problem as much as it is unfortunate. Mao's program doesn't emphasize the jumps and she rightly lost quite a bit on her base value for it. However, she did have three level 4 spins and level 4 footwork. Currently, it's extremely difficult to find a lady who can do all the jumps, lvl 4 spins, lvl 4 footwork, and transition work. There's always one area where something suffers. And everyone else fell all over the place, so all Mao had to do was skate clean and she more or less did.

M

mylastduchess

Nobody deserved to win here. Like no one is deserving of being NHk winner this year. Ladies skating has reached such a low level it is pathetic and ridiculous for there to be winners based on what bein a winner previously meant. Everyone is throwing triple jumps right out of the sport. It is so ridiculous and wins should not be happening. Just no winners. Not until the participants respect what they are doing again. There is no respect or effort from the participants. It is ridiculous and the while sport idea is a laughable joke and jumps don't matter anymore to the ladies and all wins need to be voided this season.
Okay, good luck with that!

hurrah

Medalist
So proud of Mao today! And everyday!
Watching her, I felt that she was really missing her mother today especially, and was struggling to maintain her composure after her skate. Our Mao is very, very private about her feelings, actually.
On another note, her lutz, in a closeup, shows that it is nearly, nearly there!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Let me guess: the people complaining about Mao only having four triples/two types of triples yearn for the days of the great 6.0 jumpers? You know, the ones who could UR and flutz with impunity?

Mao skated well, the URs weren't over the top (or she'd have gotten <<) and she is a deserving winner. Not every event can be the best ever, or even close to it.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
That's the new system at it's best) It's not skaters fault...And ladies (at least juniors) ARE superior in jumps))Give them some time and they might become the next ones)

Leonardo

Final Flight
I'm not sure if it's a problem as much as it is unfortunate. Mao's program doesn't emphasize the jumps and she rightly lost quite a bit on her base value for it. However, she did have three level 4 spins and level 4 footwork. Currently, it's extremely difficult to find a lady who can do all the jumps, lvl 4 spins, lvl 4 footwork, and transition work. There's always one area where something suffers. And everyone else fell all over the place, so all Mao had to do was skate clean and she more or less did.

And she also landed 6 triples, even if two of them were <. Her base value was 55.7, which is not low at all.

Last edited:

Cherryy

On the Ice
After looking at protocols I guess there was one drunk judge. Mao received 6.75 for transitions, 7.50 for both skating skills and interpretation from one judge, Ashley 6.50 for transitions. Someone thought Ashley deserved to get only -1 GOE for her 3L + 2A>> + SEQ even though it's obligatory to give -3 when a skater falls. Someone gave -3 for Christina's 3F+3T>. Seriously? I know all of it does not count, since the worst and the best mark is not considered but I just don't get it.

I loved Mao's freeskate, she was in a class of her own. And I don't think her score was inflated, well deserved actually, esp. compared to others. Now that was a skate that proved all those who said Mao would never skate well again wrong. I'm so happy for her :party2:

bixby

Final Flight

You have to spare Ashley's win at SA and Paris. Those were legit in my book.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Let me guess: the people complaining about Mao only having four triples/two types of triples yearn for the days of the great 6.0 jumpers? You know, the ones who could UR and flutz with impunity?

Mao skated well, the URs weren't over the top (or she'd have gotten <<) and she is a deserving winner. Not every event can be the best ever, or even close to it.

Not 6.0 - just a few years ago. You can see a lot of protocols even from before 2010 with much better skates winning events with better jumps. Jumps are so atrocious now. Mao did not skate well at all. The fact that she won does not mean she was good just judged better than the rest. She was atrocious.

yuki

Final Flight
Not 6.0 - just a few years ago. You can see a lot of protocols even from before 2010 with much better skates winning events with better jumps. Jumps are so atrocious now. Mao did not skate well at all. The fact that she won does not mean she was good just judged better than the rest. She was atrocious.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Congrats to Mao for the win and for attempting the lutz :)
I feel sorry for Ashley though. It seemed that this was her moment to carry on the impressive performances she did in the gps. That fall on the double axel looked bad. I hope she's alright.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
After looking at protocols I guess there was one drunk judge. Mao received 6.75 for transitions, 7.50 for both skating skills and interpretation from one judge, Ashley 6.50 for transitions. Someone thought Ashley deserved to get only -1 GOE for her 3L + 2A>> + SEQ even though it's obligatory to give -3 when a skater falls. Someone gave -3 for Christina's 3F+3T>. Seriously? I know all of it does not count, since the worst and the best mark is not considered but I just don't get it.
:

It DOES matter, because these max/min values prevent the next highest/lowest values from being excluded. That's exactly why they give these outlying marks.

Bartek

On the Ice
Mao did not skate well at all? I don't know if I should laugh or cry having read that statement.

Hmm, she landed 6 triples (two of them being underrotated) and two double axel. That is not too shabby. She had absolutely faboulous footwork which merited level for and more 3's than 2's for GOE. Sha had good, very difficult spins, all level 4, not the fastest but with beautiful and difficult positions. Her choeographed sequence highlighted the music fantastically and went very well with the theme of the program.

Now, let's move on to PCS.

Not the fastest but wonderful knee bent and superior flow over the ice, good ice coverage.

Program packed with transitions between the jumps and in other places. Transitions working as choreographic moments highlighting the theme of the music: slow part with spread eagles and arms momvements, quick "balletic" turns just before the end of the program, a lot of short spirals throughout the program etc.

Besides doubled salchow no visible mistakes, the whole program flowing from one element to another, wonderful posture and lines, straight back, arms movements, everything matching the theme of powerful and balletic at the same time Swan Lake. From the beginning to the end the program is building momentum which finally explodes with Step Sequence and Choreographed Sequence

Beautiful and fresh choreography for such an overused pece of music. Thanks to shortening time earmarked for spinning to the minimum (especially in the camel spin) there is more time for slow parts highlighting the music and the powerful finish. In terms of composition one of the few programs that does not end with (F)CCoSp.

If this performance was not a good interpretation of SWAN LAKE then we must have been watching different performances. Mao is perfect to this theme owing to her balletic and graceful movement and posture and yet she didn't lose the power in the whole balletic thing. I though she was a wonderful swan there on the ice and actually the second best interpretation of Swan Lake I have seen right after Sasha Cohen.

What exactly about her score was undeserved?

SXTN

Final Flight
Does Korpi ever have a chance to break the habit of popping and doubling every second jump?

She should be forced to complete her jumps in practice, no matter what.

And for Mao the future question will be: Will she go for the 2A-3T? :laugh:

yuki

Final Flight
^ Mao did go for the 2A-3T here (but the 3T was underrotated) and she got it ratified with + GOE at NHK Trophy. Maybe you mean Ashley?