2012 GPF Free Dance FD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Free Dance FD

KKonas

Medalist
The concept of the SD is that the pattern dance is supposed to be the highlight of the program. Davis & White's SD does that. Virtue & Moir's SD highlights the waltz. Their pattern dance (yankee polka) is an afterthought. Quickly entered, quickly forgotten.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The concept of the SD is that the pattern dance is supposed to be the highlight of the program. Davis & White's SD does that. Virtue & Moir's SD highlights the waltz. Their pattern dance (yankee polka) is an afterthought. Quickly entered, quickly forgotten.

Now this is absolutely true and is something they need to avoid next season (it's too late now. Just get the levels and skate well - and even that will be an issue - their YP was skated very well, but their GOEs weren't great).

Macassar88

Medalist
B/s lost to I/k in the free dance and only beat them because of the sd. They are pretty much equal but b/s has all the federation support and the national titles. Worlds is where I/k beat b/s once. Both teams are at best a 5th place in the world team and have no shot at a world or Olympic medal until after 2014 Olympics.

Gotta disagree with this entire post.
You realize that Dimitri fell which cost them two points plus it messed with their final step sequence and choreographic lift right? And it affected their pcs probably. They'll blow Ilinykh and Katsalapov out of the water if both teams skate clean.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Regarding V/M's lifts (I can't decide who to quote) I think like most people here that the problem is they are close in height. She is also heavier than many ice dancers, which does not help, though I do not advocate her losing weight.

I think though, as I have said before, that the 'real' problem is that they are trying to do the same acrobatic lifts as all the other couples. They would do better with less acrobatic lifts. For examples, see their 2010 Olympic free program (I am thinking of the swan lift in particular). Contrary to what some seem to believe it IS possible to do Level 4, high GOE scoring lifts that are not acrobatic. The problem is V/M have decided for whatever reason to do the same type of lifts as everyone else when they should instead be trying to make innovative, new, less acrobatic lifts that play to their strengths.

alithia

Final Flight
I usually love B/S,but the thing with Dmitry has gone too far.Whenever there is an important competition he totally blows any of their chances..I was excited when the FD first came out but after SA I just don't see it working,it's as if there is a step to be taken to make it really competitive and it's never taken
I/K weren't helped at all at this GPF and I'm not even sure they were really ready for it after Japan.But it was evident that they had no support whatsoever from their Federation which makes me wonder if a particular B/S insider in the russian forums is really saying the truth about who the fed supports.Or it's just part of the game.And they skated without power,as well.
C/L have a clever program,and a well constructed one.They're not THE skaters but they did what the rules asked them to do.

I liked P/B a lot and in the beginning of the season I hated their Rolling Stones FD.
V/M, I think they'd be first if they hadn't messed up their final lift but I really loved D/W today.They were very determined and focused.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Tessa was really skinny at the Olympics but maybe this is her normal weight which is NOT overweight.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Regarding V/M's lifts (I can't decide who to quote) I think like most people here that the problem is they are close in height. She is also heavier than many ice dancers, which does not help, though I do not advocate her losing weight.

I think though, as I have said before, that the 'real' problem is that they are trying to do the same acrobatic lifts as all the other couples. They would do better with less acrobatic lifts. For examples, see their 2010 Olympic free program (I am thinking of the swan lift in particular). Contrary to what some seem to believe it IS possible to do Level 4, high GOE scoring lifts that are not acrobatic. The problem is V/M have decided for whatever reason to do the same type of lifts as everyone else when they should instead be trying to make innovative, new, less acrobatic lifts that play to their strengths.

Exactly. As I've mentioned many times, I do not like the lifts in this FD. Not because Tessa is heavy (she's NOT.) but because the lifts don't play to their natural qualities, or as you mention, their similar height.

Actually, Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt has some of the most beautiful lifts (and they 3 of them were level 4 at SA; rotational lift was level 3) but are not acrobatic:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4#t=01m06s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4#t=02m05s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4#t=03m16s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4#t=04m02s

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Heartbroken for B/S. they could still win nationals though.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Wow, looking at the protocol. Davis / White earned all +2 or +3 GOE except for a single +1 on the choreo lift. That's incredible!

Macassar88

Medalist
Haven't watched CL yet but I feel awful for Bobrova and Soloviev. Hopefully they'll kick butt at Russian Nationals, Euros and Worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO the reason why V/M keep trying to do the same type of lifts as D/W and C/L do because those teams get a "wow" reaction from the crowds and high GOE from the judges. But the downside is V/M can't execute those lifts effortlessly and so they don't reach the same GOE levels.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tessa was really skinny at the Olympics but maybe this is her normal weight which is NOT overweight.

Tessa was 20 then. That was also before she had all the problems with her legs. She may have had to do exercises to strengthen other muscles in her body to help keep her from overstraining her legs. She is very buff-looking now, and muscle tissue is heavy.

bramweld

Record Breaker
You realize that Dimitri fell which cost them two points plus it messed with their final step sequence and choreographic lift right? And it affected their pcs probably. They'll blow Ilinykh and Katsalapov out of the water if both teams skate clean.

This will be an exciting match up hopefully if both skate well. I/K lost points in the S/D because of lower than normal levels for their step sequence, they got a 2 rather than the usual 3. In the FD they made small mistakes on the diagonal steps, combination spin, and circular step sequence. Here they had levels lower than they had at NHK. Nerves maybe? If they can clean these things up it should be a nail biter of a competition.

I also think R/T will find very stiff competition in S/Z. R/T are not projecting the character of their dances well especially the FD, but that could be because it looks so similar to last years dance. S/Z though young are elegant and they seem to have a better understanding than R/T of the characters they are trying to portray. Russian Nationals hopefully will be a treat.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I would like to see them both be clean but even if they were I think it would still be close. Maybe not at Russian nationals. I think If both were clean there b/s might have a big win but outside of competition with each other I don't think either team has a strong chance to beat p/b. Even though b/s did in the euros 2012 sd but couldnt do it on the FD.

CAS

On the Ice
IMO the reason why V/M keep trying to do the same type of lifts as D/W and C/L do because those teams get a "wow" reaction from the crowds and high GOE from the judges. But the downside is V/M can't execute those lifts effortlessly and so they don't reach the same GOE levels.

But they do. The only lift not working for V&M with the judges is the choreographic lift at the end. Remove the choreographic lift from the numbers of all teams and D&W and V&M get the same total points for their lifts. Add in the choreographic lift and D&W get a total of 22.21 points for their lifts whereas V&M get the second highest with a total of 21.63. The difference between the two being 0.58 which is precisely the difference between the choreographic lifts for the two (1.07 vs. 0.49).

V&M have strong impressive lifts. It's their choreographic lift at the end that is letting them down with the judges.

evangeline

Record Breaker
But they do. The only lift not working for V&M with the judges is the choreographic lift at the end. Remove the choreographic lift from the numbers of all teams and D&W and V&M get the same total points for their lifts. Add in the choreographic lift and D&W get a total of 22.21 points for their lifts whereas V&M get the second highest with a total of 21.63. The difference between the two being 0.58 which is precisely the difference between the choreographic lifts for the two (1.07 vs. 0.49).

V&M have strong impressive lifts. It's their choreographic lift at the end that is letting them down with the judges.

I really hope V/M don't remove that choreo lift as the ending as it stands right now is my favourite part of their FD, but Scott admittedly sometimes looks like he's in pain while doing it and it's not as smooth as it could be.