2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

herios

Medalist
Yuzuru never was japanese number one in my books. He is still just a prince for me. Long live the KING!!!!

starryxskies

On the Ice
But Patrick had about 9 points on him after the short (and was ahead of Hanyu, too), and after the free just 0.04 ahead.

I'm saying how it's not right to say Javi deserved silver because he didn't based on his SP mistakes. Hanyu (the silver medalist) had 7pts on him going into the FS and I wouldn't say he made up for that much in his FS. Bronze, yes I also wish he kicked PChiddy out of that position. Unfortunate that it was so close between them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I never made the argument that Zayak-ing or Oda-ing was a PCS error. It is a MAJOR technical error though in the rule book. mylastduchess is the one who brought up PCS in reply to my comment.

Color me puzzled. Reading the comments, mylastduchess is calling ptf a hypocrite for complaining about Chan's PCS and not Dai's PCS despite having errors - he's only talking about PCS. Your response is to bring up Chan's huge TES error, conflating the two. Can you explain what I'm missing?

re: Fernandez' PCS relative to Hanyu
I can see why someone would think that, but I do know that Hanyu ticks the PCS boxes quite effectively. I don't love what he does, though.

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!!
It was an very exciting event, I can't sleep tonight.
I'm very happy for Daisuke to be the first Japanese skater who won GPF!!

And Hanyu's stamina is increasing:yay:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Congratulations to Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan!

I have to agree with some posters here that, aside from Finlandia, Hanyu has yet to skate a clean FS this season. It's clearly a taxing program, especially for someone with asthma, and I think it's the main reason why he struggles to hold onto his lead after the SP (SA, anyone?). Hopefully he and Orser will work on conserving the energy for those final jumping passes/spins from now until March--barring injury, I see no reason why he wouldn't be at Worlds.

giulia95

Medalist
Wow Little Yuzu, how much energy from yesterday birthday cake!!!!:laugh:

Congrat to Dai and Javi and expecially to Mao!! What a memorable day ! :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Color me puzzled. Reading the comments, mylastduchess is calling ptf a hypocrite for complaining about Chan's PCS and not Dai's PCS despite having errors - he's only talking about PCS. Your response is to bring up Chan's huge TES error, conflating the two. Can you explain what I'm missing?

My response was in reply to a poster who said that Takahashi and Chan made the same amount of technical mistakes. Takahashi did not Zayak or Oda, so I was pointing out that Chan's technical mistakes were more grave than those of Takahashi's. I never brought subjective PCS into the discussion. I certainly have not defended Takahashi's PCS or wins this season as I've pointed out on numerous occasions that I think his programs this season are totally beneath his skating abilities. Besides, Chan still has the highest PCS of any competitor in this event, so I'm not sure why PCS robbery from Chan fans is entering the conversation. :confused:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Just realized that a Japanese man has won the silver medal at the GPF for seven straight years:

2006: Daisuke Takahashi
2007: Daisuke Takahashi
2008: Takahiko Kozuka
2009: Nobunari Oda
2010: Nobunari Oda
2011: Daisuke Takahashi
2012: Yuzuru Hanyu

And Daisuke is both the first Japanese man to medal at the GPF (2005, bronze) and the first to win the gold (this year, obviously).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My response was in reply to a poster who said that Takahashi and Chan made the same amount of technical mistakes. Takahashi did not Zayak or Oda, so I was pointing out that Chan's technical mistakes were more grave than those of Takahashi's. I never brought subjective PCS into the discussion. I certainly have not defended Takahashi's PCS or wins this season as I've pointed out on numerous occasions that I think his programs this season are totally beneath his skating abilities.

Still confused, but I'll assume I'm just misunderstanding something.

evangeline, as if we needed more evidence of the ridiculous depth of the Japanese men. It's even more astonishing when you consider that the guy that won bronze in 2005 is the guy that won today, and none of the other skaters have stopped competing!

Daisuke won? Yippee!!!!

But it certainly sounds like a lackluster skate for everyone. Could it be the ice? Look at the ladies' competition also. No one seems to have done his or her best.

Pogue, your observation is amazing. Daisuke and the others certainly prove the strength of the Japanese men.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Congratulations to Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan!

I have to agree with some posters here that, aside from Finlandia, Hanyu has yet to skate a clean FS this season. It's clearly a taxing program, especially for someone with asthma, and I think it's the main reason why he struggles to hold onto his lead after the SP (SA, anyone?). Hopefully he and Orser will work on conserving the energy for those final jumping passes/spins from now until March--barring injury, I see no reason why he wouldn't be at Worlds.

:confused: I think Yuzuru was just as if not more 'clean' than the other skaters today. Have any of these men skated a totally clean FS yet this season? These top guys have so much content and difficulty in their programs, it'd be pretty amazing if they did go 100% clean.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just realized that a Japanese man has won the silver medal at the GPF for seven straight years:

2006: Daisuke Takahashi
2007: Daisuke Takahashi
2008: Takahiko Kozuka
2009: Nobunari Oda
2010: Nobunari Oda
2011: Daisuke Takahashi
2012: Yuzuru Hanyu

And Daisuke is both the first Japanese man to medal at the GPF (2005, bronze) and the first to win the gold (this year, obviously).

Okay so Japan was the Surya Bonaly; the Kira ivanova the Susan Lucci for a few years lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice skate by Fernandez and the Prince and Tak. Chan is in big trouble. PCS and TES -boy he needs to get those elements done - nothing is as smooth - maybe he should give in and get a coach and we all know who. Kathy Johnson hasn't helped his PCS enough to compensate for TES.

lavender

Record Breaker
Glad Dai won and that Chan medal. I had a feeling that my Dai and Chan wouldn't skate up to their potential here for some reason. My poor Taka.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm very thrilled for Dai, congrats to him and the other medalists. I so terribly miss Dai's programs from last year and sort of wish he could have won GPF with those (it's like when a great actor finally gets an Oscar for something, but it's not your favorite performance by him/her). But, again, so very happy for him and I really hope this gives him great confidence for nationals and the rest of the season (give the depth of the Japanese men, I'm still very nervous about nationals!).

I'm very impressed with Hanyu in terms of building stamina and also fight - he really has a great competitive spirit in that he takes each element at a time and doesn't seem to get rattled.

I actually really love the choreo for Chan's LP - I hope we get to see some cleaner jumps this year. But, truly, his skating skills just transport me to another universe and I enjoyed watching him (and I think the placements felt right to me, haven't looked at protocols yet).

Yeah to Javi on his quads - haven't watched yet but will later today! And hugs to Kozuka - I find him so mesmerizing when he skates well, and wish him the very best at nationals!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Takahashi made the same amount of mistakes as Chan yet his pcs is well deserved?
Then maybe you should go to school, together with Patrick, learn some math and how to count. And why are you complaining about PCS anyway if PC still shamefully got the highest PCS? Or you are saying that he should have got 10 and Dai 7, or what? The only one who has the right to complian here is Javi and his fans. He was the one who was robbed by PCS scam for Chan who shouldn't be on the podium at all.

It is tragic that the judges prefer this to Blues for Klook.....sadly this will probably compel Daisuke to stay with Morozov.
I agree with you on this one. But look at it with the skater's eyes. The judges were dumb enough not to get Blues, one of the best masterpieces ever in Men skating. And they were surely more open for some cliches that their "intelligence" could comprehend. I somehow would understand the skater in such situation. :bang:

I guess that the change of that terrible costume has helped a lot.
;) At first I was partly disappointed that I won't see his perfect torso that that coloful stuff highlighted greatly. But that blacky black outfit made him look almost demonic, more like a ballet than opera. The mesmerized audience was terribly quiet watching him and started shouting only at the end. :cool:

Asahi showed a backstage video after the final, Yuzu kneeled with congratulatiosn for Dai in a traditional manner while Dai was sitting on the chair doing his boots stuff.

GREAT DAY for Team Japan! I hope this ice will be lucky for you a year later too!!!!!! :yay:

giulia95

Medalist
Asahi showed a backstage video after the final, Yuzu kneeled with congratulatiosn for Dai in a traditional manner while Dai was sitting on the chair doing his boots stuff.

GREAT DAY for Team Japan! I hope this ice will be lucky for you a year later too!!!!!! :yay:

please, please, I want to see the backstage video!!!!:laugh:

Dai is fantastic in black!;)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many many congrats to Daisuke Takahashi for winning the very first GPF by a Japanese male skater! :yay::party2:

To be honest, I thought he lost the chance for the gold upon his mistake on the second 3A in a combo...Judges are a bit generous to Dai about GOEs this time, e.g. not straight -3 on the fall on 4T, two 3A with lesser -GOEs, ect. But he only placed 3rd in the Free and won overall thanks to the lead from SP, it's okay with me. My guess is Dai himself and his team wished he could have won overall with a much cleaner Free skate, though. :yes:

And :points: to his new costume!!! I am so glad he dumped distracting gloves, finally. He looks gorgeous in that black costume.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the medal ceremony.

I will be very pleased if this is the exact same podium order as the next major ISU event in Sochi next year :)