2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

starryxskies

On the Ice
I think if the win was memorable to you, you'll remember. People tend to block out things they don't want to remember anyway. I'm sure down the road in 10 years, I'll be remembering who I wanted to win (if it was really that controversial) rather than the actual champions anyway haha.

2002 SLC Pairs will be remembered for years to come.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dance back to 1976, with no trouble (when it started in the Olympics)
Men back to 1976 (then I missed Nepala in 1972 and couldn't remember which of the JEnkins brothers came first)
Ladies-I surprised myself. I got back to Barbara Ann Scott in 1948 with a miss in 1952 where I forget Alwegg.
Pairs...what pairs? Only back to 2002.

skatinginbc

Medalist
To me, he seems to try and project confidence.
To me, those comments sound like a defense mechanism, namely, rationalization (e.g., GPF is not an important event; Rules are too complicated) to protect one's hurt ego. Nothing wrong with that except that it doesn't agree with what people expect to hear from a "professional".

let`s talk

Match Penalty
To me, those comments sound like a defense mechanism, namely, rationalization (e.g., GPF is not an important event; Rules are too complicated) to protect one's hurt ego. Nothing wrong with that except that it doesn't agree with what people expect to hear from a "professional".

:agree:

lakeside

On the Ice
I’ve been busy recently and just watched the videos today. I don’t get all the judges-don’t-love-Patrick-anymore talk. He lost because he zayaked, not because the judges are phasing him out, and he won’t zayak the jumps next time. Patrick’s capable of scoring 100 in TES and 95 in PCS when he skates super cleanly. I wish that will happen at the Olympics though. :agree:

90 PCS for this program? THIS is a scandal! :disapp:
Yes, it is! I guess Morozov's vodka did the trick again. :disapp:Hanyu should have won, IMO.
:disapp:, my baby prince indeed was the rightful gold medalist
I was surprised that Takahashi won with that messy skate. He was so overscored in Russia maybe because of Morozov’s politicking. He was overscored in so many aspects, not just the PCS, but also overscored in GOE and he under-rotated so many jumps but was not called. Even Takahashi himself looked a bit surprised at his score. I have to agree with some posters here and on FSU that Yuzru was indeed robbed. He should have won.

In general, I believe scoring should be fair, but that’s not what we saw this season. Some skaters like Takahashi and Kozuka routinely under-rotate some of their jumps but sometimes were not called. Takahashi also got gifted in GOEs at both NHK and GPF. Plus, some skaters like Kozuka and Fernandez had no steps preceding 4t or break between the steps and 4t in the SP but did not get -3 or -1 GOE. I mean how can Kozuka continuously be overscored and get away with it in his SP? This is unfair to other skaters like Patrick who are challenging themselves technically, as we know it’s harder to fully rotate the jumps and having steps before the jumps makes it more difficult to land your jumps. Skaters who violate the rule should be punished and skaters who execute elements well should be rewarded, otherwise there’s no fair play.

Dance back to 1976, with no trouble (when it started in the Olympics)
Men back to 1976 (then I missed Nepala in 1972 and couldn't remember which of the JEnkins brothers came first)
Ladies-I surprised myself. I got back to Barbara Ann Scott in 1948 with a miss in 1952 where I forget Alwegg.
Pairs...what pairs? Only back to 2002.

I should know everyone back to 1976, the first Olympics I watched, and men's and ladies back to the War (though I haven't tried it yet). Men's...hmm. I know that Hayes came before David in the Jenkins brothers but can never remember whether Emmerich Danzer was 1964 or 1968. Was Patrick Pera 1968? Eeek! This is great brain gym. Pairs get kind of easy for a few Olympiads around 1972: Rodnina...Rodnina...Rodnina. Let me think on this.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, I tested myself to see how many Olympic gold medalists I could remember, counting back from 2010. (OK, so I am not Imaginary Pogue). I got ladies and men back to 1984, pairs back to 2010 (sorry Totmianina and Marinen), and dance back to 2002.

Have you tested yourself how many GPF gold medalists you could count back to? (no cheating!:biggrin:) And how many GPF gold medalists a casual fan could remember?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
GPF Gold medallists-I can do 4 years of dance ;) (2009)D&W, (2010)D&W, (2011)D&W, (2012)D&W, (2008)Delobel & Schoenfelder, beyond that, no. GPF dance is not well covered in the US.
I believe Denkova & Staviyski won in 2006-2007 and Domnina & Shabalin in 2007-2008.
And N&K won in 2005-2006, 2004-2005, & 2003-2004.
I know B&K won in 2001-2002season, which is why there was so much heart aching.
And I believe K&O won 1998-1999
Otherwise? Clueless.

Have you tested yourself how many GPF gold medalists you could count back to? (no cheating!:biggrin:)

That's easy: Michelle Kwan won the Championship Series Final in 1995. She never won another, since it was renamed the Grand Prix.

I think sports is an in-the-moment kind of experience. I don't care what you did yesterday, what are you going to do for me today? I can't remember who won the last World Cup, the last World Series, Super Bowl, Master's Golf Championship, or Wimbledon either -- although I watched them all and rooted for one side or the other.

I suppose that says more about my memory than about the nature of sports. ;)