2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Javi only gets the PCS he does because he is so good at quads. Kozuka is a much better skater. Javi's TES is great and his jumps are allowing him to close the gap on PCS, but don't you guys remember just a couple seasons ago, before Javi started landings all these quads, how his PCS scores were in the 6s? His skating has improved but not that much and the FS in particular is not that great. If anyone was robbed it was Kozuka, the scores, PCS and TSS, were all very generous for Tak, Hanyu, and Chan considering what they did. Javi wasn't robbed and doesn't deserve higher PCS, more like the top 3 were held up and deserve lower.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I missed the event and haven't watched the videos yet but I have to congratulate Daisuke for winning this event and for being the first Japanese to do so. He is indeed a pioneer Japanese male skater with all his accomplishments!

And congrats too to Yuzuru, Patrick, and Fernandez.

I hope Patrick will exorcise Oda out of himself. :)

ForeverFish

Medalist
:confused: I think Yuzuru was just as if not more 'clean' than the other skaters today. Have any of these men skated a totally clean FS yet this season? These top guys have so much content and difficulty in their programs, it'd be pretty amazing if they did go 100% clean.

Yes--Yuzuru did, at the Finlandia Trophy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice skate by Fernandez and the Prince and Tak. Chan is in big trouble. PCS and TES -boy he needs to get those elements done - nothing is as smooth - maybe he should give in and get a coach and we all know who. Kathy Johnson hasn't helped his PCS enough to compensate for TES.

If anything, his PCS has dropped. Even when he's had multiple falls, his PCS scores were nearly all in the 9s, and mid 9s at that. Now they're mostly in the low 9s with some high 8s. He needs a technical coach, and fast.

As for Kathy Johnson, I thought his purpose in bringing her on was to increase his connection with the audience (which is the hallmark of a great skater). He's still skating pretty much for himself, and dancy moves have replaced some of his usual transitions.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you've been winning (almost) everything in sight for the past two years, wouldn't you? ;)

Maybe he'll realize he won't be handed World gold or Olympic gold on a silver platter! Karmic payback for his disrespectful statements re Plushenko ("36 or 37 year old landing quads" - arrogant!)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan's worst thing was the zayak then the quad problem but I think the ice was fine because why wasn't Fernandez affected? Takahashi finally won, his loss to lambiel was so narrow!

starryxskies

On the Ice
If you've been winning (almost) everything in sight for the past two years, wouldn't you? ;)

This would mean he truly thought he deserved every single win of his :laugh:
I have no doubt he'll come back stronger than ever after today but he needs this reality check.

If Evan Lysacek was watching this event by any chance one can bet good money he will put his comeback thoughts on ice for good now, lol! He will get embarassed against these guys, even if he regained his 2010 level.

Although...its not clear what Lysacek would be most afraid of, Hanyu's 2S, Takahashi's 4T(fall), Chan's 4T(fall) Kozuka's 4T(fall) or Machida's 4T<<. ;)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Although...its not clear what Lysacek would be most afraid of, Hanyu's 2S, Takahashi's 4T(fall), Chan's 4T(fall) Kozuka's 4T(fall) or Machida's 4T<<. ;)

:rofl:

(on a more serious note, BASE VALUES. I'm not convinced Lysacek can do a quad right now when his last successful attempt at one took place 5 years ago)

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
I have a feeling Chan will be gradually phased out by judges, which is good for the sport. Judges seem to have found a new pet in men's skating.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Lysacek would probably beat them all with his superior arm-flailing anyway.

Kelly

On the Ice
Except for Machida, at least all of them have one successful quad and 3A in the FS.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This should not be just a wakeup call for Chan, it should be a wakeup sledgehammer: hie thee hence to a real tech coach as fast as your clever feet can take you.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have a feeling Chan will be gradually phased out by judges, which is good for the sport. Judges seem to have found a new pet in men's skating.

Chan received the highest PCS despite skating quite poorly. Frankly, his new programs are great and the judges are rewarding him well for it. The real problem is that Chan has not been landing his jumps; Zayakking and getting the +SEQ penalty on quads will kill anyone's score.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick looked very displeased with that bronze during the ceremony
I haven't watched the programs yet, but apparently Patrick's didn't go very well. Are you putting him down for being disappointed? I don't get the impression that Patrick feels "entitled" to get a certain placement if he doesn't skate well. Ultimately, results are out of the skaters' hands anyway. I think it's more like he's disappointed with the skate (i.e. he didn't meet whatever goals he set for that FS).