TV Alert- Late but GPF NBC NOW (December 9) | Golden Skate

TV Alert- Late but GPF NBC NOW (December 9)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
1-3 ESt on NBC. I missed the ladies!!!! Now men's long.

News note: Kim YuNA landed 6 triples to easily win in Dortmund at the Senior B event. There is a thread so I'll say no more.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
javier did 3 quads and finished where???? So unappreciated. Just like Akiko. Very nice Chaplin program from Javier Fernandez. First man they said to do three quads since Brian Joubert in 2006. What do thee judges want from these guys? Everything I guess.

funnniest thing at this comp is 2 time Olympic silver medalist Brian carrying around Winnie the Pooh for his "kid" Yuzu. It makes me smile. Why Winninie the Pooh? How old is YUZU? He must be very superstitious. BTW No skating on TV listed til Jan 19th? Slim pickings...

Last edited:
Yipes! I expected it to start at two, not at one. Drat.

But I won't miss Takahashi's long program, thank goodness. And I got to see Kozuka and will see Hanyu. Kozuka is very musical, I realize.

Great to hear about YuNa. I'm glad she won in such decisive style. We are so lucky to have her back.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Age means nothing when it comes to collections, hobbies, etc... I collect "children" stuff and I don't have kids.

Ashley's fall wasn't *as* bad as it seemed to be when I read comments all day yesterday, but dang knowing how much she's injured now - how'd she keep going and hit everything?! OW!

I missed the ladies. I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed or relieved, considering the force of Ashley's fall.

I have to say, in this program I'm a bit cool about Patrick's arms. They seem to undulate in a really repetitive way. His fluidity is remarkable, though. Something else I like about his program is is costume. It's very subtle, simple in the best sense, not overly theatrical. It looks like real-people clothes, which I think is a good reflection of what the character of Rodolfo, the starving artist in the opera La Boheme, would wear.

Daisuke's costume is more theatrical, of course, it being Daisuke. But it's also simple, although in a more dramatic way than Chan's. I'm glad Dai didn't try for some clown costume, which I've seen skaters use for Pagliacci. I love his spins in this. They are original but graceful and also seem to suit the music and the character. It seems to me that he's getting more lift in his jumps this year--is that my imagination, or does anyone else think that too?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Age means nothing when it comes to collections, hobbies, etc... I collect "children" stuff and I don't have kids.

Ashley's fall wasn't *as* bad as it seemed to be when I read comments all day yesterday, but dang knowing how much she's injured now - how'd she keep going and hit everything?!

OW!

It's ok with me, but one never sees it. Only time I saw this was when Tara would bring her patron saint statuen St Therese to the rink, some rinks tho I did not see her in nagano. She got a clear sign from the saint involving roses, which Catholics here would know-she is called "The little Rose." Fine by me Toni. I doubt you are very suspicious about say, Disney snowglobes. You just enjoy them. Some people let go of their child hood possessions. I know a couple who have every game they evr got, toys etc and they are 40's 50's. All mine is long gone. My mother is a cleaner-we have not the space to keep so much. I have good stuff I need to sell I never got to use.

As for Ashley, I am now alarmed at your post!!! What is her injury please? Thanks....I am anxious and now could use Winnie myself!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I missed the ladies. I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed or relieved, considering the force of Ashley's fall.

I have to say, in this program I'm a bit cool about Patrick's arms. They seem to undulate in a really repetitive way. His fluidity is remarkable, though. Something else I like about his program is is costume. It's very subtle, simple in the best sense, not overly theatrical. It looks like real-people clothes, which I think is a good reflection of what the character of Rodolfo, the starving artist in the opera La Boheme, would wear.

Daisuke's costume is more theatrical, of course, it being Daisuke. But it's also simple, although in a more dramatic way than Chan's. I'm glad Dai didn't try for some clown costume, which I've seen skaters use for Pagliacci. I love his spins in this. They are original but graceful and also seem to suit the music and the character. It seems to me that he's getting more lift in his jumps this year--is that my imagination, or does anyone else think that too?

I pretty much agree. I love Dai's SP which made him the winner I guess. I find Chan growing on me. I cannot get over how speed comes out of nowhere. His SP is beautiful. His LP when clean in good but not my favorite. I loved his Phantom. I do not know why Javi was not on that podium. The top 3 had falls and mistakes. I guess I need to read the protocols in the GPF mens folder. I am disappointed for Javier. All we hear is the Quad and his does 3-first guy in a zillion comps since 2006. I guess maybe they were not all ratified? Gotta go look unless someone explains Javi's 5th place here.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Daisuke's costume is more theatrical, of course, it being Daisuke. But it's also simple, although in a more dramatic way than Chan's. I'm glad Dai didn't try for some clown costume, which I've seen skaters use for Pagliacci.
Oh trust me, he tried that clown costume at JO, COC and NHK. But it didn't work and I'm glad that's done and over with now.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call it a clown costume. It was conservative by European standards of ice dance. I liked it, but like this even more. Seems everyone goes with Black as it is a safe thing for men and doesn't get dinged. To me Dai is the "Prince" (the artist formerly know as I mean) of FS and his rock and roll red jacket was simple. Think what it could have been if morozov were his designer!

evangeline

Record Breaker
I guess I need to read the protocols in the GPF mens folder. I am disappointed for Javier. All we hear is the Quad and his does 3-first guy in a zillion comps since 2006. I guess maybe they were not all ratified? Gotta go look unless someone explains Javi's 5th place here.

Javi placed 4th overall, actually, but he was 1st in the LP.

The reason why Javi didn't make the podium was because he skated a poor SP that put him 7 points behind Yuzuru, 9 points behind Patrick and 12 points behind Daisuke going into the LP. He had a big deficit to make up and he missed making the podium by just a fraction of a point.

To be honest, I thought Javi deserved the bronze at least over Patrick but...well...obviously the judges didn't quite agree.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, he deserved to be on that podium. Patrick's LP was off, not a good skate, too many errors. Easily Javier could have ben helped. Awesome skate of the day.

Will Javier miraculously beat a couple Japanese to get on WC? I hope so. Two good programs. I like his SP Zorro and if he projected more-was more flamenco in his apprach. Tracy Wilson needs to bring out the dancer in Javi...he is a decent performer-mens is so stacked with Japanese and Chan. Wish Worlds were in a month. Sochi looks darn nice! Akiko and Javi-underdogs who need a break.