Question on Ashley Wagner score at GPF | Golden Skate

Question on Ashley Wagner score at GPF

MasterB

Final Flight
I rarely look at the protocols but, now that I did I have a question on Ashley Wagner's score. This question is regarding her triple loop into double axel sequence. A double axel is worth 3.30 and a triple loop is worth around 5.60. Combined, that sequence should earn you 8.90 but, she only earned 7.39 at both of her GP events. At the GPF she earned a total of 3.46 for the entire sequence. I know she fell on the axel and taking that one jump out should have left her with only the triple loop score which she landed really well and should have received a 5.60 for it but, instead got a 3.46. So what gives? Any thoughts on this?

mskater93

Record Breaker
BV for the seqeunce is 7.39 in the second half ((5.1+3.3)*1.1*0.8) if fully rotated at 0 GOE. The 2A got a << which means the BV of the sequence was (5.1+1.1)*1.1*0.8) and because of the multiple issues with it, it got a -3 GOE

gkelly

Record Breaker
I rarely look at the protocols but, now that I did I have a question on Ashley Wagner's score. This question is regarding her triple loop into double axel sequence. A double axel is worth 3.30 and a triple loop is worth around 5.60. Combined, that sequence should earn you 8.90 but, she only earned 7.39 at both of her GP events. At the GPF she earned a total of 3.46 for the entire sequence. I know she fell on the axel and taking that one jump out should have left her with only the triple loop score which she landed really well and should have received a 5.60 for it but, instead got a 3.46. So what gives? Any thoughts on this?

If fully rotated, the base mark for a double axel is indeed 3.3, and for a triple loop it's 5.1.

If they were performed together in combination (2A+3Lo), the base mark for the combination would be the sum of the base marks for the two jumps, 3.3+5.1 = 8.4. Then the GOE would make the final score for the element higher or lower.

However, when two jumps are performed together as a sequence rather than a combination, including an axel following any other jump, then the base mark for the element is only 80% of the sum of the base marks for the two jumps. So the base mark for a 3Lo+2A+SEQ would be 6.72. Adding in the 10% bonus for jumps executed in the second half of the program, the base mark ends up as 7.39. (Then there would be additional adjustments up or down based on the GOEs; and the final score for the element is shown in the far right column.)

At the GPF, her double axel was downgraded (<< symbol) because it didn't rotate more than 2 revolutions in the air, so the base mark was only that of a single axel, 1.1. Triple loop 5.1 plus + double axel 1.1 = 4.96. Add the 10% second-half bonus, and you end up with 5.46, which what shows in the base mark column for this element at the GPF. Then subtract the negative GOEs and she ends up with a final score of 3.46 for the element. (And an additional 1.0 off the total score for the fall.)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1213/gpf1213_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

wallylutz

Medalist
I will also add that despite only receiving 80% of the BV in a sequence, some skaters, mostly ladies, choose to include 2A in their jumping passes with another Triple because they would otherwise not be able to do the 2A stand alone jump or repeat it twice as allowed by the rules. Therefore, the sequence actually allows them to add more content into their FS program, which they otherwise wouldn't have enough room for under the CoP.