Chan Says Stage Fright Saps Joy of Skating | Golden Skate

Chan Says Stage Fright Saps Joy of Skating

SGrand

Final Flight
Came across this article, I really feel for athletes in this position, must be tough. But I really do hope that he gets his mind in check and gets whatever help he needs to boost his confidence and make him a little more fearless again. It's just such a different mindset he seems to have this year and his game plan is definitely not his usual either. I know there have been major upsets with him since worlds, and he has said that he knows this season will be different and one of growth......I just don't know if he was really prepared for the reality of it and how it would affect him. Just my thoughts......

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20121209/634949398.html

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Stage fright is a problem that affects many skaters. I hope all that suffer, including Patrick, solve it for themselves.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I find the use of the term Stage Fright interesting though I'm not sure if it came from Chan or the writer. Usually Chan and other skaters talk about competition nerves or jitters but "stage fright" appropriately reflects Chan's current emphasis on performance and artistry.

starryxskies

On the Ice
It's just because doesn't have Kristy there to boost his confidence anymore. It's all on him. Kind of reminds me how Dai had always said Morozov was his confidence booster and when they separated, he was in charge of his own confidence.

I believe Patrick will be able to do it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I believe the most effective method to reduce and overcome stage fright is to prepare better. Obviously Patrick has gotten ill influence and advice to make such dumb decision. He is not as confident as he was last year when he had had a strong team support. So he has started to have stage fright, and various weird problems in the competitions this year. Bad bad choice for his coaching decision! I just hope that he won't continue to defend his coaching choice any more. And most importantly, don't take Kathy Johnson by your side alone next year, Patrick!!! Sorry, Kathy! But please, please back off!

Last edited:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
IA. And it's always harder to be the "hunted" rather than the "hunter". As 2-time World Champ, PC has the added pressure of the field closing in on him, trying to knock him off the podium so yes, he needs a very supportive team at this stage - technical & artistic. So many talented skaters don't rise to their potential (think Jeremy Abbott thus far) because of "nerves" or "stage fright".

skatinginbc

Medalist
"Chan Says Stage Fright Saps Joy of Skating", "Hanyu a bit nervous in SP at GPF"...I think the pressure is on Dai now, whose nerves will be tested at the next major event (perhaps 4CC, a mini-World championship).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
All the Japanese men & ladies will be severely tested at Japanese Nationals.

That would be to me the most terrifying competition of the year, if I were a Japanese skater

A number of American skaters, too, have said that Nationals in the most nerve-racking competition.

Nadia01

Final Flight
All the Japanese men & ladies will be severely tested at Japanese Nationals.

That would be to me the most terrifying competition of the year, if I were a Japanese skater

Why do you say that?

I already know who's going to be on the worlds team.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't say about Japan, but Johnny Weir was left off the USA team when he had won a bronze medal at Worlds (his best finish) the previous season, after he caught a debilitating illness prior to Nationals, and skated when he had not fully recovered. Also, Jeremy Abbott was left off the World team when he skated a bad LP, and Bradley, Dornbush & Miner did a better job than he did. So yes, for sure US skaters always say they are most nervous about nationals.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I can't say about Japan, but Johnny Weir was left off the USA team when he had won a bronze medal at Worlds (his best finish) the previous season, after he caught a debilitating illness prior to Nationals, and skated when he had not fully recovered. Also, Jeremy Abbott was left off the World team when he skated a bad LP, and Bradley, Dornbush & Miner did a better job than he did. So yes, for sure US skaters always say they are most nervous about nationals.

No matter what happens, Japan's going to send Mao, Taka & Hanyu to the worlds. That's what I meant by people knowing who's going. Akiko & Kozuka are most likely to go.