Weir Wins!!! Awesome Men's LP | Golden Skate

Weir Wins!!! Awesome Men's LP

Matt

On the Ice
YAY FOR WEIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time he skated well and this is so the place to have done it! What a great moment for him!

Congrats should be given to everyone in the men's field; after the splatfest last year, this was so awesome! The best men's competition in several years. Yay for everyone who skated cleanly: Bradley, Savoie, Jahnke (way to win the bronze again), Lysacek (even though he did fall on his opening 3axel), and especially Weiss (the cleanest I have seen him skate ever; it can be done)

Sidebar, however: no one landed any kind of quad (at least of the men ABC showed). Weiss probably will and I know Johnny has one, but this is an interesting predicament that none of the US men landed a quad at Nats before Worlds

This was so amazing; I can't wait for the ladies (this is going to make them so much better!)

Once again: WEIR WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY FOR WEIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amykaren

On the Ice
For those of you who were unable to watch, let me give you some details-
I came home after Matt Savoie skated so I am not sure how he did. Ryan Bradly was the first I catched-his long program was to some kind of square dance music. Sounds hooky but it was awesome!!! Very good skating to the music, I was stomping along. He really sold it, very entertaining!! He made mistakes, like a single axel and popping another triple. But very good program, the crowd loved it.
Next, Janake skated and I missed that program but he beat Savoie in the free but wasn't able to pull over him from 6th place.
Next, Michael skated. I am no Michael fan but this was a very good skate for him. No quad, but everything landed and great expression to the music. If Weir bombed, I could see him pulling up to 1st, deservidly so.
Next Weir, who looked very deterimined. It had to be hard to go out after Mike laid down a great skate, with the crowd still loud and excited. He skated clean, did all jumps with a terrific turnout on the end, smooth as silk. Perfect skate with a very determined face the whole time. Great spins at the end. Standing O, he started crying and kissed his hand and pressed it to the ice. It was really an incredible moment!!!
After, Mike was interviewed and said Johnny deserved to win, he skated awesome and laid done 2 clean program, great job.
Johnny said he thought of everything but skating until he took the ice so he wouldn't be nervous or distracted. WOW!!!! This was the best men's nationals in a long time!

Fantastic job by Johnny and all the men.

They showed a little clip of Weir's fall in the LP from last year, and for the first time it was clear to me why he could not continue after that injury. His two legs went off to the sides in different directions, for sure a groin pull.

Great skates by all of the men in the top flight, and especially Johnny.

Mathman

I can't say it any better or add anything to what Matt, AmyKaren, and Mathman said. All I can say is this is one of the best men's fiinals at Nationals I've ever seen. I'm so psyched!
Rgirl

Lucy25

Final Flight
I haven't been emotional over a men's skate since Todd Eldredge at '96 Worlds. Weir was fantastic! His jumps were totally smooth and his presentation was so enjoyable. I am mad I didn't tape the men's LPs. I always do and then tape over them because they are usually so bad! I hope all the US guys can skate like they did today at Worlds.

Antilles

Medalist
It was a great redemption over last year. Mike and Johnny were both great. Happy for Matt. I really liked Jahnke's program. I thought it was fabulous. Too bad they can't send four to Worlds.

Lcp88

On the Ice
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Go Johnny!!!! Just watched my tape, and this is the first time ever tears came watching a skaters reaction (I mean, Shae and Vic's was awesome, but this was just...I can't expain :)) to winning a title. Go Johnny Go Johnny Go Johnny! And I was really happy Evan did as well as he did - his hometown is close to mine, and he went to high school (Nequa Valley) with a friend of mine, so that part was cool.
Laura

windspirit

On the Ice
WOW! That was un-freaking-believable! I literally cried. The jumps were wonderful, and the presentation... I so wanted him to win, and he did with two great (and clean as a whistle!) skates!

Johnny, you're DA MAN!

Mathman said:
They showed a little clip of Weir's fall in the LP from last year, and for the first time it was clear to me why he could not continue after that injury. His two legs went off to the sides in different directions, for sure a groin pull.
I noticed that, too. I don't think they showed it from that angle last year. It was painful just to watch it.

What a comeback! :D :D :D

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
He looks like Iggy Pop in that first picture.:eek:

Who thinks he can challenge Plushy at Worlds?

Piel

brenlynn

On the Ice
if he can do the quad and hold his jumps together like he did tonight i think he can definetly give plushy a run for his money! maybe not this year so much, but in the future.... definetly!

WAY TO GO JOHNNY!!!! that was just amazing!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Hey Cygnus and Windspirit...I doubt it's intentional, but check out the thumbnail next to both of those pictures of Johnny...It looks like his occasional off-ice girlfriend and her coach are cheering for him.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What I want to know is, was it REALLY NECESSARY to show Evan Lysacek blowing his nose before taking the ice?? I'm sure if Mr. Lysackek himself sees the tape, he's going to be asking the same question!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
The Men redeemed themselves...

..since the SP's. What a GREAT afternoon of skating!! Johnny was just incredible. World's should be exciting!

That picture where he looks like an old woman is about the most unflattering picture I've ever seen of anyone. Surely they could have come up with a better one than that?????? Could limit his future partners in life since now the "prospects" will know what he will look like 60 years from now.

DG

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Gee, I knew faces distorted during mid-air photos, but that is just unreal. I swear yahoo have photoshopped an old woman's face onto his. I don't even see how it is possible for his face to change that much.

Good grief, I just can't stop looking at it!

I sat next to Johnny's aunt and we were screaming for him to win. the kid is so talented but imo, he needs some special coach to keep him from going wild. I don't know if you saw his SP, but we thing he was wearing a corsage. Nothing wrong with that! but you know how some judges get.

A few years ago when he made his Nationals debut, I wrote a post in GS called: Who is Johnny Weir? I had been so impressed while watching the ususal splatfest among the US Men at Nationals and then this16 year old went out and skated like a pro. I knew then he was destined for gold. Even last year there could have been silver. I'm so happy for him as is his aunt. A quad would make him a gold Worlds contender.

One of the fans in my group asked his mother before he skated if he is staying away from the boards. She replied, he hasn't been near them since the last Nationals.:laugh:

Let's all hope he continues to be a champ with or without corsages.

Joe