Davis and White on the Yankee Polka | Golden Skate

Davis and White on the Yankee Polka

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excerpt: Davis and White, both 25, produced an effortless program to Adolph Adam's Giselle, but only earned a level three for both sequences of the Yankee Polka pattern to earn 73.20 (35.15/38.05) points. At the end of last season, the skaters claimed that they liked the choice of a pattern dance for this year's Short Dance, and they still stand by their opinion.

"We got to compete this dance a couple of years ago," said White. "Obviously in a very different way, we all had the same music which kind of gets on your nerves after a while. But generally, I think it was a good dance for us, and we like to take advantage of the quick feet in skating."

More...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Davis & White's Giselle is my favorite SD of the year, and I was so glad to read their comments about it.

Last edited:

kosjenka

On the Ice
Polka was made for a couple like Davis&White!
Is it know what CD will have to be used next year?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Finnstep (which is a kind of quickstep), which should be good for D&W and V&M both, very quick and works nicely with a waltz. It's technically challenging.

KKonas

Medalist
FYI: Waltz is not an option with the Finnstep for seniors - I believe its foxtrot, charleston or swing. Old Quickstep for Juniors as Finnstep is senior pattern dance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You're right, KKonas. From ISU Communication 138:

Senior
Quickstep
or
Quickstep plus one or two of the following Rhythms: Foxtrot, Charleston, Swing.
The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Quickstep Rhythm, in the style of Quickstep. The tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required tempo of the Pattern Dance Finnstep, i.e. 52 measures of two beats or 104 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.

Junior
Quickstep
or
Quickstep plus one of the following Rhythms: Foxtrot, Charleston.
The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Quickstep Rhythm, in the style of the Quickstep. The tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required tempo of the Pattern Dance Quickstep, i.e. 56 measures of two beats or 112 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
Quickstep, Foxtrot, Charleston and Swing are described in the ISU Ice Dance Music Rhythms Booklet 1995 (Note: the

And yes, the Junior Quickstep is the old quickstep and the senior is the Finnstep.

Sounds like just the sort of challenge that will separate our two top couples from everyone else.

KKonas

Medalist
Actually Zoueva argued against the Finnstep for OWG SD. At the 4CC dance meeting last season she brought it up not once, but twice, saying it wasn't difficult enough and wanted the Tango Romantica instead. IDTC Chair Gordon Poltorak pretty much listened but ignored the request saying she felt the Finnstep was difficult enough and that you can't keep doing the same pattern dances over and over again. It was also mentioned by Gordon Poltorak that changes might be made to the entire idea of the pattern dance after Sochi, suggesting certain step sequences to be used instead.

hitchem

Rinkside
Actually Zoueva argued against the Finnstep for OWG SD. At the 4CC dance meeting last season she brought it up not once, but twice, saying it wasn't difficult enough and wanted the Tango Romantica instead. IDTC Chair Gordon Poltorak pretty much listened but ignored the request saying she felt the Finnstep was difficult enough and that you can't keep doing the same pattern dances over and over again. It was also mentioned by Gordon Poltorak that changes might be made to the entire idea of the pattern dance after Sochi, suggesting certain step sequences to be used instead.

I'm surprised she felt it wasn't difficult enough, though it doesn't demand the kind of edgework a CD like the Tango Romantica does. Still, I doubt most couples will find it easy to master.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Very interesting.
The one season the Finnstep was skated, a lot of the seniors found it quite difficult. The Tango Romantica would favor Virtue and Moir, I think, above the other couples, though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Very interesting.
The one season the Finnstep was skated, a lot of the seniors found it quite difficult. The Tango Romantica would favor Virtue and Moir, I think, above the other couples, though.

Probably why she fought for it, then.

I finally watched D/W's SD - wow, first one I've watched (admittedly not many) that felt like it had the spirit of the Yankee Polka CD (which I still miss the music to)!

KKonas

Medalist
Probably why she fought for it, then.

I finally watched D/W's SD - wow, first one I've watched (admittedly not many) that felt like it had the spirit of the Yankee Polka CD (which I still miss the music to)!

This is exactly why D&W are winning the SD. I also like C/L's routine from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers movie score. It has that same joyful feeling and the music is appropriate for a polka.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love D/W's SD, simply the best!!!

By the way, I'm really glad Meryl got rid of the habit of her starting pose pouting/breathing. Now it's so much more natural and lovely.

I'm not a fan of artificial and dramatic set up before the starting pose, like K/S and V/T usually do, especially when some body does it and then break the mood between that and the starting pose, that's even worse. same thing for the ending. I can understand that skaters could still deep in the mood they created, and that could last a little while after the music stops. However if you try to extend that moment too long it become artificial and silly. Sorry I'm a bit off topic but the last one might be of some relevancy, not for the SD, but for the LP.

I really hope D/W get the World title this year. They deserved it, also last year. I loved V/M more before but I started loving D/W since last year, they got me with the Waltz, just brilliant!

Last edited: