Javier Fernandez | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

honghe

On the Ice
Honghe: Barcelona is the one he does/did with the Yoshida Brothers.

e

Barcelona is the program he collaborated with Yoshida Brothers in the first half of the shows.

Thanks! I somehow thought the Barcelona program meant something he did at GPF and was confused, thinking: "Didn't he do the same programs there as in other competitions?":palmf:

And yes, I think even audience members are more relaxed at shows than at competitions, and mistakes could sometimes be amusing instead of nerve-wrecking or even devastating.

I think it's still too early to guess whether Javi will add a new jump to his program at some point in the future. I can understand his reasoning in the interview, as adding a new jump to an already complicated program is different than doing a jump in practice, and requires a lot of work. He also needs to preserve his body and stay as healthy as possible. Given how carefully his two quad SP was approached, I wouldn't be surprised if Javi does not upgrade his elements for now.

At the end of the show, we were allowed to come to the rink side, Stephen landed an almost perfect quad toe right in front of me, then here came Javi, he skated around the rink in a full circle before taking off, fans screamed loudly when he landed the jump, he and Stephen then had a big hug. :luv17:

Stephane:luv17: So in addition to two wonderful shows, you also saw two of your (our) favorite skaters share a big hug. Lucky you!

While we wait for the GP assignments to be decided and announced in a few days, I guess Javi can finally have some much needed rest.

Happy 2000 replies to everyone here! You are all awesome!

evergreen

On the Ice
Further report of the FaOI shows in Nagano on 24 June (Day 1) & 25 June (Day 2)

As you may know, Big Hat, an indoor arena hosted ice hockey games during 1998 Olympics, is the venue for FaOI Nagano’s shows. The organizer placed an array of gift boxes for each skater at the front of the entrance, so as fans can leave their gifts/notes to their favourite skaters in the respective boxes.

Javier Fernandez

Opening-costume: Metallic Gold T-shirt with red panel, black pant, he was in the centre of the opening on both Day 1 & 2.

Day 1: it appears Javi (no facial hair) had rested well during the weekend and he was relaxed, in a playful mood with smile, opening with 3 Axel at up right corner of the rink, leaning forward;

Day 2: Javi did not shave overnight and did not sleep well? I was sitting very close to the up left corner of the rink in the first row, close enough to see big dark cycles under his eyes; his hair was short with small curly; he opened with the same jump at the same corner, cleanly landed.

He was warmly greeted by the crowd at the both of shows, since it was almost a full house in Day 2, the applause were louder.

Group Number- collaborating with Yoshida Brothers, along with Jeffery, Oda and Ilia, Javi had a good time with his buddies and his stroking were right on the beat of the music.

Barcelona-collaborating with Yoshida Brothers, the final program of the 1st half. Costume: black pant, white shirt, gray 5-button vest black satin full back, loved the red carnation boutonniere, an extra touch of style and knowing that anything patriotic always pleases Javi, as red carnation is the Spanish national flower. However, what I have to criticize the costume is that the vest was not tailored well, I doubt whether it was specially made for skating, when Javi jumped or did arm movements, the vest tended to be pulled up, revealing his lower back, which I didn’t like at all.

Day 1: except 3 lutz, his jumps were off in the first half, problems of landing for every jump, 3 Axel, stepped out or turned (couldn’t recall exactly), spread eagle to 3 loop, double-footed, 3 Sal, hand down, because he had problems with jumps here and there, he was a little behind the music; despite the mistakes, the audience loved him and gave him a half-standing ovation when he took his final pose.

Day 2: a much better performance, all the jumps were cleanly landed, what impressed me the most, however, was his upright spin with a lot of variations, it was fast, expressive, the arm movements fitted the music perfectly and the audience began clapping & screaming in the middle of the spin; and I was wondering whether he took some lesson from Stephen during the tour. I also loved the section in slow tempo, where Javi created some romantic touching moments, which were lovely. I have more confidence in his free skate next season, as I am pretty sure some of Elvis' famous romantic melody will be included and Javi can certainly handle it well. Overall, it was a brilliant performance, great ending for the 1st half. Standing ovation!

Malaguena- Costume: his usual beaded black velvet vest, red satin shirt & black pant, Javi looks stunning in this outfit as always:love:

Day 1: his jumps were back in the 2nd half, except he stepped out his 3 toe when he did his 3 sal-3 toe, he landed his 3 Axel and 3 flip cleanly; the costume, the music and the red lighting effects made us feel like sitting in a cabana in Spain, enchanted by Javi, the handsome & charming dancer, with his sexy, passionate and powerful flamenco. Oh, man, I can watch him dancing flamenco the whole night, fans were in awe when he did choreographic dance move before the final spin, his final intrinsic footwork endeared him to all of us. Simply stunning! Standing ovation from the entire crowd!

Day 2: his jumps were crisp clean, totally round! The spin, the dance movement, the footwork were all splendid, when we were ready to roar before he took his final pose, he tripped over as he came too close to the rink side and caught by his edges, what an amusing ending, we did not expect this, so did Javi, he was a little bit embarrassed, making bows to the crowd in a hurry, but what a great, great performance, even the fall was joyful, especially since Miki also tripped over when she took the final pose a few minutes ago, what a couple they are :laugh:! SO again !

Finale-Costume: black blazer, black tight pant, black shirt shiny silver glitter on black bow tie, a huge white chiffon bow on the left shoulder. OK, the white chiffon bow for the male skaters were a little bit ridiculously funny, but when Javi was moving in a spread eagle from up center to the up left corner with a beautiful smile and then turned into a 3 loop in front of me, I was deeply moved. This was how he reached out to the spectators sitting at up far levels; I was sitting in the first row at the balcony facing the up left corner of the rink on Day 1, but I can saw him smiling at me, when he landed his 3 loop with such a great flow, his arm reached out to us, like he was dedicating this jump specially for us. Upon the landing, he kept on gliding to the center of the up front, holding the right hand of Tatiana who was standing in the middle, Maxim on her left side, taking a final bow to the crowd.

Quad Battle-Day 1, 4 toe, cleanly landed, Day 2, 4 loop, I guess he was a little bit ashamed of the fall he took earlier and decided to try something new, here we go the 4 loop, totally unexpected but well applauded by the fans.

he took his blazer off when went for the quad. he looks very slim & petite in black.

Final greeting-we all came to the rink side when the skaters skated around the rink waving to the fans, on day 2, Javi reached out to the fans in big smile and shake hands with them, fans were so exciting and screamed a lot, Stephen followed him and got hugs by the fans. Boy, they were greeted by fans like they are Princes.

On a side note, Javi and Jeffery were the two skaters who placed their jumps/skating movements, ina bauer, spread eagle in the four different corners of the rink, which were very thoughtful, since Javi always jumped his 3 Axel of Barcelona program at the up left corner, so I could clearly watch his tiny body quickly rotating 3 and 1/2 turn in the air, what an awesome treat!

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I think it's still too early to guess whether Javi will add a new jump to his program at some point in the future. I can understand his reasoning in the interview, as adding a new jump to an already complicated program is different than doing a jump in practice, and requires a lot of work. He also needs to preserve his body and stay as healthy as possible. Given how carefully his two quad SP was approached, I wouldn't be surprised if Javi does not upgrade his elements for now.

Yes, we can see now when he needs a new jump, i.e. 3rd different quad, he could make it; he is probably fine with the current layout for his free skate unless Yuzuru upgrades his munitions. What pleased me the most after watching his two shows last weekend is that the quality of his spin has improved, and he put a lot of emotion to the element; he is really attacking his weakness :agree:

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Thank you evergreen for the very detailed report! Your report makes me look forward to next season's revised Malaguena even more! It's a program with a lot of potential and it seems that Javi is on the right track to realize it to the fullest.

I am also curious about the Elvis FS. At first I was a little unsure about the idea, as I was kind of imagining it as an SP instead of FS. But I believe that Javi can convey romantic feelings well on ice. I guess it could be an intriguing program.

I love your description of Javi's connection to the audience. It seems that he has such a natural ability to communicate with people while on ice.:luv17:

What pleased me the most after watching his two shows last weekend is that the quality of his spin has improved, and he put a lot of emotion to the element; he is really attacking his weakness :agree:

That's very encouraging to hear! :clap:

evergreen

On the Ice
Thank you evergreen for the very detailed report! Your report makes me look forward to next season's revised Malaguena even more! It's a program with a lot of potential and it seems that Javi is on the right track to realize it to the fullest.

You are very welcome, honghe, I have to be honest with you, before Malaguena, I had never thought Javi was capable of dancing like that, I guess Flamenco is in his blood, :biggrin:

Now, the shows were over, and Javi can finally take his long-awaited vacation at home with his family :laugh:

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
You are very welcome, honghe, I have to be honest with you, before Malaguena, I had never thought Javi was capable of dancing like that, I guess Flamenco is in his blood, :biggrin:

Well to be honest with you, I did not really expect it, either. I also didn't expect him to be able to skate to Ram Jam so well.
Now that I've thought about it, I am pretty impressed with his ability to make changes to the way he moves, his postures, etc. according to the program. The way he carries himself on ice is different in Malaguena from in Guys and Dolls, for example.
I guess like Brian said in an interview last season, we learn more about Javi's potential every season:)

Now, the shows were over, and Javi can finally take his long-awaited vacation at home with his family :laugh:

I hope he enjoy a nice vacation with his loved ones! (And I also hope that the Spanish football team's loss at Euro 2016 did not make him too sad...)

evergreen

On the Ice
Well to be honest with you, I did not really expect it, either. I also didn't expect him to be able to skate to Ram Jam so well.
Now that I've thought about it, I am pretty impressed with his ability to make changes to the way he moves, his postures, etc. according to the program. The way he carries himself on ice is different in Malaguena from in Guys and Dolls, for example.
I guess like Brian said in an interview last season, we learn more about Javi's potential every season:)

Totally agreed! everything he does is so natural and refreshing, nothing forced or over the top, he is so genuine on and off ice :love:

I hope he enjoy a nice vacation with his loved ones! (And I also hope that the Spanish football team's loss at Euro 2016 did not make him too sad...)

At least he could spend more time with Miki instead of sticking in front of TV for football matches :laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
No idea. Perhaps something related to his injury at Worlds? He said it was just something minor...

Wasn't a bursa on the heel of his right foot caused by boot friction? He did have some inflammation of pelvic fascia when prepared for the worlds in February. Whatever the injury was, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Yeah he seems to be just fine, seems like the surgery took place the day before the placque was revealed. That they basically just injected an antiinflamatory. It's so nice to see him getting so much support from his neighbors :yes: