Javier Fernandez | Page 109 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
Living in another country away from one's family was of course not easy, especially as he did not speak English well. But I guess it also helped him grow a lot.

There was an icenetwork interview described his move in a amusing but precise way, that Javi moved to an English-speaking country to train with a Russian coach, surrounded by a group of Japanese rink mates :laugh:

honghe

On the Ice
I was curious what Morozov saw special in Javi until I read one of his interviews 5 or 6 years ago where he commented on the skaters he had worked with. He said Yagudin is a very strong skater, who was able to land jumps in competitions even he failed to do so in practice; he further said that Javi resembles Yagudin, though he had yet achieved the accomplishments as Yagudin did. honghe, you may already know that I am a big fan of Yagudin, I had not followed any single skaters' career before him. Well, when I watched Javi's competition live for the first time at 08' worlds, his jumps, spin and stroking resembled Yagudin when he was about the same age, of course the latter had already had superior skills and amazing consistency; plus, they both have strong legs & ankles :biggrin:

That was quite a compliment! Yagudin at that age was already on the Worlds podium, though, while Javi probably did not dream to be there. I personally never made the comparison but I can sort of see where that is coming from. In any case, both you and Morozov have the ability to spot talent:clap:

(Speaking of first time on the Worlds podium, Javi said at Worlds 2013 he and Patrick watched the last couple of skaters, and when he realized that he'd be in the third place, he was so happy that he did not know what to do, whether to jump, to cry, or to hug Patrick. I remember this because it's so adorable. :laugh:)

It seems that Javi is collaborating with Henry Mendez, could be something for his shows? He will be the headliner for two shows in August, one in Madrid, another in Andorra

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHnhuXtjZ2d/?taken-by=henrymendez07

Shouldn't he still be resting??? (Well judging by the photo, he probably wasn't skating so maybe I shouldn't be too worried.)
I am curious what this is for. I'd guess something for his shows, too. It's pretty amazing that we are talking about what Morozov could possibly see in the teenage Javi and now Javi is headlining his own shows.

evergreen

On the Ice
That was quite a compliment! Yagudin at that age was already on the Worlds podium, though, while Javi probably did not dream to be there. I personally never made the comparison but I can sort of see where that is coming from. In any case, both you and Morozov have the ability to spot talent

I am flattered :biggrin: Perhaps I prefer to skaters whose presence on ice are dynamic & powerful with natural charisma and musicality; i.e. Mishkutionok/Dmitriev, Davis/White, etc.

Shouldn't he still be resting??? (Well judging by the photo, he probably wasn't skating so maybe I shouldn't be too worried.)
I am curious what this is for. I'd guess something for his shows, too .

I assume he is not jumping but doesn't stay still either; he is probably more busier in Spain than he was touring in Japan.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
I am flattered :biggrin: Perhaps I prefer to skaters whose presence on ice are dynamic & powerful with natural charisma and musicality; i.e. Mishkutionok/Dmitriev, Davis/White, etc.

I like skaters with strong presence on ice & natural feel for the music, too. :biggrin:
In addition, I also prefer performers with a natural ability to communicate with the audience through their performances, and it doesn't limit to just skaters.

Going completely off topic, did he cut his hair? I like that style on him :biggrin:

It does look like his hair is shorter.
Also going off topic, maybe he has had the chance to enjoy some sunshine? He seems to have gained a tan, too.
(Lol the things we talk about during offseason:laugh:)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The Spanish reports on his operation (incl. the one from the hospital itself) said quite explicitly 10 days of rest and then rehab/physio for some time. The "rest" probably meant that he did not skate and/train in other ways in the past two weeks... That would have been a perfect time for a summer vacation. Tan = beach?

In the last shows in Japan, his hair looked quite longer on the sides and back, but when the plaque was set up in Madrid, he had had a hair cut...

In April during the UCAM presentation he was asked what he would like to study (it is after all a university!) after his competetive career was over and if I remember correctly he talked about sports management or some such thing. I would assume that he finished his secondary school as it is compulsory in Spain and lasts until you're 16 years old?

E

honghe

On the Ice
He really loves beach so I hope he could have some relaxing and fun time there!

I think his hair in the recent two years or so has usually been good to OK, whether it's a bit shorter or longer. Hope whatever they choose for his hairstyle in the new season will be good, too.

tzazu

Medalist
Maybe Javi will shave his head for the LP after each SP competition this coming season? :think:

In the GP assignments (CoR and TEB) it will be quite difficult, because he's only one week between them. Maybe in Euros and Worlds?:confused:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In the GP assignments (CoR and TEB) it will be quite difficult, because he's only one week between them. Maybe in Euros and Worlds?:confused:

It was a feat that he managed respectable facial hair growth for each competition last season. :clap:

honghe

On the Ice
:noshake:I don't like Javi with hair that is too short so I don't want him to shave his head...
But if he continues to have the goatee for his SP, I hope he continues to shave his facial hair after SP at each competition:yes:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:noshake:I don't like Javi with hair that is too short so I don't want him to shave his head...
But if he continues to have the goatee for his SP, I hope he continues to shave his facial hair after SP at each competition:yes:

But is he keeping the SP?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Then you need to hope he does not portray a character with a fuller beard in the LP. :)

honghe

On the Ice
Then you need to hope he does not portray a character with a fuller beard in the LP. :)

They are using Elvis songs for the FS this coming season. So I guess it is possible that it won't be a character piece, or they might perhaps draw some inspiration from Elvis' style. Whatever it might be, I doubt it will call for a fuller beard. At least I hope he can shave his goatee for the FS. ;)

Spiral

Final Flight
Maybe Javi will shave his head for the LP after each SP competition this coming season? :think:

At first I was confused, since Elvis Presley wasn't known for a bald look, but then I realized that you probably meant that he might shave his face before the LP. TBH, I hope he won't bother growing facial hair again in the first place.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
At first I was confused, since Elvis Presley wasn't known for a bald look, but then I realized that you probably meant that he might shave his face before the LP. TBH, I hope he won't bother growing facial hair again in the first place.

I was just making a silly joke.

The SP beard is likely to reappear though. Let's see what a week's worth will be.

Sol

Rinkside

They are in Almeria i believe.

I thought education is obligatory until a child is 16 or 17 in Spain? I know from following soccer that the young players in those big clubs' youth systems go to high school, no matter how good they are at their sport.

I remember reading in some interview that Javi had to drop out high school to go training with Morozov but he wasnt a very good student anyways. Here in Spain education is obligatory until 16, you finish secondary education at 16 usually(if you dont fail too much subjects and have to repeat a year) at that age you can start working or do some vocational training or stay at school and do two more years(Bachillerato) and then University.

Last edited: