Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge | Golden Skate

Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sandhu, the former Olympian and three-time Canadian men's figure skating champion, hasn't competed on the ice in nearly four years. However, he still demands an audience. He had one here at the Skate Canada Challenge, which wrapped up Sunday.

Read more:

Sandhu was always an utterly unique talent. I suppose it's wishful thinking to imagine that he could be a factor for the Nationals podium, but it will be cool to see him performing again.

I always loved his skating. He did have at least one quad jump, and he was so musically expressive. Now if he's just managed to defeat his nerves....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think this should be "warm" on the comeback trail but the fact that this time he actually skated - kudos to him. Still he probably should have started earlier but to get a skating routine together in a week or so not bad not bad at all. I wonder if he has a coach - hopefully not Joanne McLeod. She seems to be the kiss of death.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
These comebacks are getting darn ridiculous. What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!

Icey

Record Breaker
He does not have a coach now. I wonder if he will get one to prepare for nationals. Actually, from an article I read I think he probably doesn't have the funds for one.

Nadia01

Final Flight
What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!

Given that Miki couldn't even get a coach to make her comeback this season, I doubt Fumie could get one, much less enough funds to get one. I don't see the federation backing her in any way, shape or form.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
These comebacks are getting darn ridiculous. What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!
Did you read what Sandhu had to say? It doesn't sound like he has any unrealistic expectations:
I just really missed being on the ice and competing and preparing for competitions... I think my last performance was in 2007 or 2008 and I was absolutely miserable then. I was not liking it at all. I was putting way too much pressure on myself. That was just not the way I intended to leave the sport.
It was really coming back in for the purest of reasons because I love to skate. Even if I do a somersault out of my jump by accident, I'm going to get up with a smile on my face and carry on. That's how I want to leave the sport... No matter what happens, I just want to leave with a positive feeling in my heart.
It's ridiculous to complain about skaters who want to compete. So long as they are able to do so, why not? Sandhu qualified easily for Nationals, I don't see how anyone can claim he doesn't belong there.

Last edited:
Yes, if he wants to compete, he has the same chance as anyone else. If he's not any good, he won't get anywhere, and if he is still good, we will get to enjoy seeing him skate.

Yes, if he wants to compete, he has the same chance as anyone else. If he's not any good, he won't get anywhere, and if he is still good, we will get to enjoy seeing him skate.

Hopefully!

But I remember he tried his comeback before, last year was it?, but it didn't work out very well. Hopefully, this time his has his luck and ability to get wherever he wants to be! I just love his personality on ice:love:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You simply cannot argue with his long lovely lines! More power to him for trying.

Binthere

On the Ice
Any videos/youtubes? Would love to see. A unique skater with dancer qualities for sure. Memorable. Can't say that about most of the men competing now frankly/unfortunately IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sandu maybe not this year but if Canada gets three spots could sneak in for Oly glory (to compete). If he can take his maturity and better attitude, find a decent coach which does mean funding and play it smarter he could even who knows be competitivve on the world scene. First, he needs to work hard and condition. Second regain the triple axel and quad and ensure all jumps are consistent. Third choose smarter programs - if he was avante garde do that in the short and then exploit his ballent and lines in the long; tone down the make up and release the passion - use those eyes and communicate with the fans Fourth, skate for and with lots of joy. Many felt he had the potential to be a Chan or Buttle PC wise - he needs to get the speed up. Interestingly if he could skate with top quality he could make the canadian team without a 3A or quad - a 7 triple clean artistic routine in Canada could earn you a spot if there were 3 spots on the world/Oly team. As mentioned earlier, Buttle even today with his programs would be competitive in Canada and top 10 in the world. But he just needs to skate is best, enjoy and go from there. SAdly skating is an expensive skate as Suguri has discovered. One wonders what they do at over 30 and not a top star like Plushenko and probably put on hold school how they support themselves. Like what does Sandu do for a living? There aren't that many shows and he wouldn't be a huge draw - even in Canada Buttle, Chan, Browning and Stoijko are far bigger draws - maybe even gary beacom would be a bigger draw than the enigmatic Sandu. But maybe he can do?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'd rather watch Sandhu skate than Reynolds or Rogozine.

ITA and it isn't proper or nice but for some reason I find Reynolds look very unaesthetically pleasing and at times disturbing. He looks kind of like Pippy Longstocking whose hair went through a blender. On the other hand he might be perfect for the new Pippi longstocking story on ice.

I'd rather watch Sandhu skate than Reynolds or Rogozine.

Me too, in an instant!

Skater Boy, I too wonder about what the skaters do who devoted not just their teenage years but their twenties to skating. They put off their schooling, and they probably used all their savings for training fees and so forth, without having any source of income during these years. It can't be easy to give up their quest for the top step on the podium, and then to shift gears to another way of life. I imagine it's even harder in a structured society like Japan, where people's career paths are set at an early age.

Icey

Record Breaker
No matter how he does at Canadians, he still has the hurdle of establishing minimum fs and sp scores at an international event.