Pairs LP | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

Spark

Rinkside
*sigh*

I was really hoping Annabelle and Patrice would come in and deliver this year. For some reason, they seem to have a harder time at nationals than they do at international competitions.

I was pleasantly surprised by Marcoux and Buntin. Valerie's presentation has come a long way since she skated with Marcotte. Wow!

Think Canada has a chance at qualifying three pairs again for the 2005 worlds? I believe the magic number is 13, right? So if Langlois and Archetto repeat their fifth place finish, Marcoux and Buntin just need to finish in the top eight. Or if one pair finishes sixth and the other seventh, that could do it. Long shot or not?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was really hoping Annabelle and Patrice would come in and deliver this year. For some reason, they seem to have a harder time at nationals than they do at international competitions.

Jamie and David did too, IIRC...

I'm just so bummed for Bella and Patch :(

Antilles

Medalist
Jamie and David had one really lousy Canadians-their last, but their others were ok. I just hope that L&A got their "bad" performance behind them, and that they will really shine at Worlds.

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, that was not the night of skating I was hoping for. I agreed with the commentators - Langlois and Archetto didn't come out to go for it - they came out not to lose and it didn't work. Like other posters here I'm kinda surprised that this team - which could be top three in the world - seems to have more trouble skating at home than in international competitions. Oh well.

I was really impressed with Marcoux and Buntin. That was one of the best skates I've ever seen from them. I hope they don't get stage fright at worlds. If they skate like they did here they could potentially be a top 5 pair in the world as well. Their elements are great.

Putnam and Wirtz - obviously not their night. I also think that while their coach might want to highlight the purity of their skating, they do need to add more difficulty if they want to really compete with the top pairs.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
L&A did not do well? I missed the pairs. Oh well, let's hope they "pull up their skating boots" for next year!!

shine

Record Breaker
Very, very happy for M/B! I love their SP and their LP isn't too shabby either!

Now, I simply can't understand Debbie Wilke's obsession with Putnam/Wirtz. They are new, they are nice to watch and that's all I find in them. And just how many times did she have to tell us how their throw was "just as technically brilliant as the Chinese, but done with much more beauty"? :rolleye: We get that, Debbie. It makes me think that she's still got some unresolved issues against the Chinese that have lasted since the days of Sale/Pelletier. Seriously, I don't get what's so wonderful about P/W's "lines". Yes, they are both lean with her being particularly tall, but her posture is just bearable to watch, with the raised shoulders. Not to mention the lack of extension in their arms and feet. If that's lines, I can't imagine what she'd call Tiffany Stiegler if she happens to see her skate. And their choreo needs major working before I can ever link the work magical with them.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
The pairs were pretty disappointing this time. The team that won were good, but I could not believe how unprepared the other top teams were. They all looked like they were on a practice session.

Last edited:

Spark

Rinkside
Yes, Jamie and David only had one performance at nationals that I'd call subpar, and that was the year of the Olympics. They also had problems at the 2000 worlds after skating almost perfectly at nationals that year.

Shine, I'm with you on Putnam and Wirtz. They are pretty to watch, but I prefer skaters to have a lot of personality or feeling in their skating, and they don't have as much as L&A or M&B. I also don't agree with Debbi's comment about their throws. Their throws look like they achieve about the same height as Shen & Zhao, but they don't travel as far across the ice.

Antilles

Medalist
I also thought it odd to call P&W's throw better. Zhao used to almost hurl himself in the air during throws, but he fixed that a while ago. No one does a throw better than S&Z. I just don't get P&W. They don't do anything for me.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Antilles:

P&W did not skate well this time, but they definitely are a good team and have a lot of chemistry. I think that is what Debbi was trying to get across. S&Z (chinese team) do have good throws, but they still lack chemistry.

It's a shame P&W did not show what they are capable of. They just did not seem prepared to me and lacked energy. I hope they are not being pushed too fast by Skate Canada - this sometimes does the opposite effect. A pairs team needs time to develop. Oh well, there is next season ahead for them.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Antilles: S&Z (chinese team) do have good throws, but they still lack chemistry.

WHAAAAAAT? S&Z are the most exciting pairs team to come along in AGES! Both pairs of Oly gold medalists PALE by comparison. S&Z totally OOZE chemistry! I had tears in my eyes at last year's Worlds because their performance was so highly charged with the emotion between them!

Foxy

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
WHAAAAAAT? S&Z are the most exciting pairs team to come along in AGES! Both pairs of Oly gold medalists PALE by comparison. S&Z totally OOZE chemistry! I had tears in my eyes at last year's Worlds because their performance was so highly charged with the emotion between them!

I have to agree with you. S & Z are also my favorites. I had goosebumps watching them at worlds last year and have this performance on tape. They have improved so much and are definitely the best in the world at the moment. I can hardly wait for worlds!

I always root for Canadians to do their best but, in my opinion, there's no Canadian pairs team at the moment near the quality of this Chinese team. They have been together for awhile now (are they a couple off ice?) and they skate with lots of passion, emotion, speed and athleticism, which makes them very exciting to watch. Sometimes I find myself holding my breath, especially on those throws. They have continued to improve in so many ways, (presentation especially. Go S & Z!!

rain

Record Breaker
I actually have to agree with Ladskater - at the risk of being jumped on.... I find the Chinese pair still lack in the presentation/artistry section as well. I'm well aware that just about everyone in the world disagrees with me, LOL, but I just don't find they relate much to each other on the ice and there are times when he's yanking at her or dropping her to the ice instead of placing her. I find the hype about them to be completely over the top.

That's not to say I don't appreciate their tremendous elements because I do. I think they are more than likely going to easily win Worlds this year - and rightfully so. However I don't in any way think they are untouchable. I would still watch B/S or S/P over them any day. I think the current Canadian pairs still have a few things to work on - particularly the triple twist in which almost all of them are weak - but other than that I think they are quite comparable to the Chinese.

shine

Record Breaker
S/Z are not my favorites and never will be. I agree with those who say they still lack the most refined presentation of the Oly gold medalists. I just think they are forced and not natural performers. And B/S certainly don't pale in comparison to them. The tension and speed that they skate with are way exciting. I actually agreed with Debbie when she preasied P/W's throw the first time. But the second? The third? Especially when they were skating so lousily. Seems like Debbie was desperate trying to make matters look better.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
RealtorGal:

Sorry, I disagree. Their presentation skills have improved greatly - especially hers - but still as a pairs team, their chemistry between them does not come across. They skate more like a brother and sister team would.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think that it's problem to look like a siblings team and I can't stand they way Debbie keeps emphasizing "chemistry" as though being romantic is the only correct style for any pair out there. The real problem preventing me from loving S/Z is the lack of refinement and delicacy in their skating. They also have little musical sensitivity IMO. I enjoy their high throws, fast lifts and all, but in between the elements there's little that keeps me mesmerized.