Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette | Golden Skate

Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette

starryxskies

On the Ice
Joannie stopped competing since 2010 Olympics but I remember reading news about her saying how she's contemplating returning to competition for Sochi. As a Canadian, I support her!!! I'd much rather see her represent Canada vs Osmond. Joannie should try for the team event at Sochi, she'll have a good shot at the Gold afterall. And her last Olympic experience should be a happy one, y'know with everything that happened with her mother in 2010.

Miki, I heard she wanted to come back this season but couldn't get a coach?
Although it blows my mind that she can't get a coach. JSF don't got her back? Are coaches reluctant to take on world champions?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Rochette said she'd decide about next season in January. The only reason she'd come back is the team event. I suspect that she'd do the team event and withdraw from the singles if it came down to it, but I don't think she's coming back.

Ando will likely compete within Japan at a major event - Japan Open, Nationals but I don't think she'll do much beyond that. MAYBE attempt a Worlds competition at home (a la her first title.) if she's at that level.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Something tells me there was more to it than Miki couldn't find a coach. I find it implausible that no decent coach would want to work with her. I suspect her heart wasn't in it because she has already achieved more in her career than many people expected. I think she knows it is highly improbable that she would win the OGM in 2014 so all the hard work she will put in won't do much to improve her already stellar competitive record.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ditto plus one, dmd...I think you have it. I love her and wish the best for her....if she is in burn out mode, she may yet come back but look at the Japanese field she would have to skate against.
Something tells me there was more to it than Miki couldn't find a coach. I find it implausible that no decent coach would want to work with her. I suspect her heart wasn't in it because she has already achieved more in her career than many people expected. I think she knows it is highly improbable that she would win the OGM in 2014 so all the hard work she will put in won't do much to improve her already stellar competitive record.

icellist

On the Ice
Miki Ando should hire Fumie Suguri for a coach. She needs the money and can still be involved in skating XD

ks777

Record Breaker
Miki Ando should hire Fumie Suguri for a coach. She needs the money and can still be involved in skating XD
No way. They don't even like each other so that won't work. I think Miki should hire Shizuka as her coach. Shizuka and Miki are good friends and Miki looks up to Shizuka. But honestly, Shizuka should make a come back instead of these two. I still think Shizuka could challenge Yuna for Gold at Sochi Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No way. They don't even like each other so that won't work. I think Miki should hire Shizuka as her coach. Shizuka and Miki are good friends and Miki looks up to Shizuka. But honestly, Shizuka should make a come back instead of these two. I still think Shizuka could challenge Yuna for Gold at Sochi Olympics.

Being a champion skater doesn't mean you will be a good coach. Also someone who is a recent competitor turning to coach hsi or her competitors usually has many problems including respect. It doesn't work when someone graduates usually and then teaches at the college they just graduated especially if they are teaching their peers who they used to hang with just a few months ago. It's hard to have that respect when you have been playing around, hanging with them. You need that professional distance and age and experience helps.

I do suspect there is something funny about Miki's stall returned. As for Joannie I doubt she will return with Osmond and the rule she has to skate singles. But with two spots I wish Joannie would go to the Olympics (If Osmond can get Canda two spots) she is capable still of a top ten placement.

but returns to skating though people won't say it publically is very difficult. They won't express their doubts and fear but we have seen that a lot of comebacks don't work or suspciously get stalled (if not for age and increased injujries). Even Boitano's return got crushed after he looked like he would win a second OGM for a while, then we see Weir and Evan with their injuries, Sasha had the same problem with injuries, Petrenko never regained the form, Sandu has sputtered along with his so called returns, Josee Chouinard;s return ended in heartbreak, Lambiel again couldn't recapture the magic nor did Torvill and Dean who just seemed like they were from another era.

Some champion skaters do make good coaches like Brian Orser but he competed like 24 years ago.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I doubt you will see either back. Joannie should have skated at Worlds in 2011, she would have won easily if trained and ready, darn her.

russell30

Final Flight
Miki is scheduled for Japanese nationals, but I think she will miss this season out and will make a decision in the spring of next year for Sochi.

Joannie not sure, she will make a statement in the new year but I think she is happy as a pro skater at this time, but she may surprise us, she is still training the triples and her pcs are one of the best out there, so we will have to wait for the press conference.

russell30

Final Flight
We may add Lepisto to this thread too, although Laura officially called it a day, the Finns are struggling with just Kiira, Kiira should get 2 spots for next year if she takes part in worlds, that might tempt Laura to comeback maybe?? For another crack at Olympics, I thought she looked great artistically at MWO.

anthologyz

Rinkside
i'd be thrilled by rochette's return! her skating is sublime when she's on. wouldn't it be something if gold, silver, and bronze medalists from vancouver returned for sochi? when was the last time that happened?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have nothing personally against Lepisto or Korpi or Finland but I am not sold they are all that great. They seem to be very lucky because while other skaters might have their pcs lowered fornot trying the bigger tricks it doesn't seem to hurt Korpi. I just think her pcs are alittle high for what she does. I looked at Josee Chouinard's skate and though it wasn't COP wow her programs were jammed pack with transitions; i think Joannie is the same but not really fully recognized. It would be nice to get a proper farewell for her. As for Miki I hope she is happy but I do think she should leave on top and let it be. She is one of those skaters who I think has gone beyond her abilities. She shouldn't push it tough many do.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i'd be thrilled by rochette's return! her skating is sublime when she's on. wouldn't it be something if gold, silver, and bronze medalists from vancouver returned for sochi? when was the last time that happened?

I for one don't want that to happen. I like how a new crop of girls come along and are the ones to beat in the next Olympics. I really don't want to see skaters in there third Olympics quite frankly.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like how a new crop of girls come along and are the ones to beat in the next Olympics.

Well that hasnt happened and clearly isnt going to happen with the so called "new crop" which at this point pretty much stink, so forget that idea. Best now they improve their skating and get it up to the standard they are atleast ready to lead post Sochi when nearly all the veterans likely retire. Better legend Kim, legend Asada, and Wagner (sort of new), battling it out, then Kostner with 80s jump content, 30 year old Suzuki, and semi retired 2004 Worlds contender Ando. Atleast be happy with the lesser of the 2 evils, since the latter is what you will be left with if Kim, Asada, and possibly Rochette dont return, not what you are hoping for with 16 year olds on top. None of Kim, Asada, Wagner, or even Suzuki would be in their 3rd Olympics btw.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not so much that the new kids stink but they simply won't have enough experience by the time of Sochi. Remember Kim and Mao had been to the previous 3 Worlds before the 2010 Olympics. Tuk and Adelina for instance have been to young to compete at Worlds until this season and Osmond and Gold have only just recently improved enough to have a chance to make it to Worlds this season. Yes none of those skaters are where Mao and Kim were at in terms of their skating in 2007 but all those skaters i just mentioned will most likely peak after Sochi.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I still think there's time for one or two of the Russian ladies to emerge as a medal threat. The Russian Fed will be lobbying hard for their skaters, and since the games are in Sochi the home skaters are likely to get a bump in the marks.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's not so much that the new kids stink but they simply won't have enough experience by the time of Sochi. Remember Kim and Mao had been to the previous 3 Worlds before the 2010 Olympics. Tuk and Adelina for instance have been to young to compete at Worlds until this season and Osmond and Gold have only just recently improved enough to have a chance to make it to Worlds this season. Yes none of those skaters are where Mao and Kim were at in terms of their skating in 2007 but all those skaters i just mentioned will most likely peak after Sochi.

None of those skaters will ever be as good as Kim and Asada at their best were anyway, even though some will likely reach the top after Sochi yes. We should appreciate the chance of seeing all time greats Kim and Asada battle it out for gold one last time and savor it, if that is what happens. Anyway Kim has a real chance to cement herself the best skater ever if she wins the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, that is what most will consider her. That alone is reason enough for excitement, moreso than another 16 year old with little jumps and immature style being pushed to the top.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Anyway Kim has a real chance to cement herself the best skater ever if she wins the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, that is what most will consider her. That alone is reason enough for excitement, moreso than another 16 year old with little jumps and immature style being pushed to the top.

That still wouldn't match Witt's accomplishments (4 WTs, 2 OGMs). Yes, Witt's technical level is behind that of current top ladies but YuNa's will be one day as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just wish SOMEONE would fix the misspelled name "ROACHETTE" on the title of this thread. Joannie is not a mini-insect.