Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

spikydurian

Medalist
Osmond is talented. If she keeps improving, she will get there some day. Maybe post Sochi. I wouldn't count this delightful lady out.

hohoho

On the Ice
Canadian ladies do not get the hype of the big 3 - Japan, Russia, and US. For the majority, if a ladies skater is not from these three they do not deserve good PCS or there is something wrong with their skating. What will posters come up with if Osmonddoes well at 4CC? I am sure they will try to link SC somehow other than accepting that osmond deserve the scores

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Canadian ladies do not get the hype of the big 3 - Japan, Russia, and US. For the majority, if a ladies skater is not from these three they do not deserve good PCS or there is something wrong with their skating. What will posters come up with if Osmonddoes well at 4CC? I am sure they will try to link SC somehow other than accepting that osmond deserve the scores

Yu-na Kim certainly hit it off the gate in 2006-2007 when she won GPF and finished first at the SP during Worlds that season. And nobody thought there was anything wrong with that. Nobody was questioning Elene G. when she was in the final group at the 2006 Olympics. They were both 16, just like Osmond (or close to it at least).

anthologyz

Rinkside
at this stage of her development, her skating is still young and coltish, in need of further refinement, much like the young sarah hughes or kimmie meissner. that can of course be improved over time. the athletic ability is already there but the landings, again, need better line and stretch. no one can predict what's going to happen on the ice, but i'd say she's a good top 12 skater who will surely win canadian nationals against the likes of lacoste.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Another thing about Kaetlyn's skating is that nothing really stands out--good enough, but not outstanding. She completed a lot of jumps but none of them has a wow effect like Oda's (soft knee), Yuna's (distance), Plueshenko's (height) and so on. Her busy pawing arms, though surely deserving credits for her effort, reminded me of a cat fight. Any move that involved a catch foot was done awkwardly (Perhaps her weakness in extension?). Her footwork, regardless of the difficulty level she achieved, made me feel like wanting to oil her blades or smooth the ice for her. I think Kaetlyn is talented and has lots of potentials. But if she pulls a Kimmie Meissner at this World Championship, I'm afraid it will dramatically cut short her skating career. Winning is not necessarily a blessing for one who is not ready.

Really? I thought her triple-triple was astonishing - the steps leading into it, the height she gets, the control on the landing (she high kicks out of it). Both programs are so jampacked with transitions and choreography that the sheer fact that she can skate them clean is pretty remarkable. The way she's able to quickly center a spin and not lose momentum as she changes position (check out her first program spin from the SC SP) is better than World Class skaters like Suzuki, I'd argue. That stated, if she won worlds, she'd probably be the champion with the worst skating skills in decades. She's not refined whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Yu-na Kim certainly hit it off the gate in 2006-2007 when she won GPF and finished first at the SP during Worlds that season. And nobody thought there was anything wrong with that. Nobody was questioning Elene G. when she was in the final group at the 2006 Olympics. They were both 16, just like Osmond (or close to it at least).
Yuna Kim was a World Junior champion and before that was a silver medalist. What was Osmond's last Junior result? I think even Elene Gedevanishvili had a better Junior result than Osmond did. Nobody questioning Elene G because no one was hyping her to win the gold. And as predicted, Elene fell off the standing to 10 after the long.

but the landings, again, need better line and stretch.
Yes, her landings bug me a lot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim was a World Junior champion and before that was a silver medalist. What was Osmond's last Junior result? I think even Elene Gedevanishvili had a better Junior result than Osmond did. Nobody questioning Elene G because no one was hyping her to win the gold. And as predicted, Elene fell off the standing to 10 after the long.

I was responding to the poster's assertion that if a skater isn't from the top three (USA/Russia/Japan), then that their scores/results would be questioned. I'm saying that I question the score on its merit, not because she's from Canada.

Last edited:

suzukifan27

Match Penalty

Yes, her landings bug me a lot.

Zijun Li from China at age of 16 landed 2 types of 3+3(3t+3t, 3f+3t) at the NHK with similar scores(176). How many of 'fans' even know this? Osmond is just another desperately manufactured 'Canadian star' with highly inflated pcs. World champion? Really? I'm sure her pcs will go up further at 2013 worlds.

Last edited:

anthologyz

Rinkside
Zijun Li from China at age of 16 landed 2 types of 3+3(3t+3t, 3f+3t) at the NHK with similar scores(176). How many of 'fans' even know this? Osmond is just another desperately manufactured 'Canadian star' with highly inflated pcs. World champion? Really? I'm sure her pcs will go up further at 2013 worlds.

i wouldn't necessarily say she's a desperately manufactured canadian star, but i do think given the state of women's skating there with rochette's absence, it's easy to see why a talented skater who can land more than 2-3 triples a skate is exciting. again, only time will tell.

skatinginbc

Medalist
(check out her first program spin from the SC SP)
I wrote a response and deleted it because I suddenly realized you were talking about SC, not the challenge last week. So I dug out the footage, watched it and was surprised to see that she actually did OK with her catch foot at SC. Her spin was better as you described and her 3-3 looked better as well. No wow effect for me though. She jumped but I could feel the gravity, especially the second triple (Nothing wrong with it, just not superb). And I dug out the judges score sheet and I think they agreed with me: Good but not outstanding.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
i wouldn't necessarily say she's a desperately manufactured canadian star, but i do think given the state of women's skating there with rochette's absence, it's easy to see why a talented skater who can land more than 2-3 triples a skate is exciting. again, only time will tell.

Why would Canada always want to 'manufacture' a top-tier lady if they don't have one? She barely cracked top 10 at last year's Jr. worlds with mediocre pcs. This year she suddently won a Sr. GP event in Canada with pcs matching world medalists. Some Canadians are already starting the propaganda campaign in order to 'crown' her. It seems to me any Canadian lady who can land 5 triples in a LP is automatically considered a world-class skater while talented ladies from smaller federations always get the short end of the stick.

rvi5

On the Ice
Osmond's performances during Juniors may have been affected by her going through puberty. Better for it to happen in Juniors than after moving into Seniors (like some of the Russian girls). According to interviews, she also had to deal with injuries...broken ankle, sprained the same ankle, hip and back problems. She said everything began to come together in the past year, which happens to corresponds with her move into seniors. I am sure hard work was also involved in her sudden improvements since Juniors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Ouch. Don't hold back that pent up anger or hatred.

Riemann

Rinkside
I am one who firmly believes that politics plays a significant role in this sport. That having been said, I have never seen anything close to what it would take to get Osmond the gold. The question should be whether there's a chance she could get bronze.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I am one who firmly believes that politics plays a significant role in this sport. That having been said, I have never seen anything close to what it would take to get Osmond the gold. The question should be whether there's a chance she could get bronze.
For her this year, it takes mental strength to be in the top 5, luck to be on the podium and politics and bribery to be the champion.

I don't think she's in the running for gold, but it's good to see a promising Canadian lady, and I'm hopeful that she will turn out to possess stability and remain a contender. I think that's enough burden to put on her shoulders.