I hate onions | Golden Skate

I hate onions

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Making "spaghetti sauce" from scratch, had to chop up a whole onion. I'm very sensitive (eyes wise) to the brutes anyway, but this one was killer. It's been chopped, cooked, and covered for over an hour and my eyes are still red and swollen and hurt. It's like a bad allergic reaction. Normally I have someone cut it for me and I stay as far away as possible... but I was by myself this afternoon...

Why do onions have to be so mean?! I hate them. :cry:

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
If you put an onion in the refrigerator for a little while before you chop it, it won't burn your eyes so bad.

There's an onion called a Vidalia onion that doesn't sting your eyes so much.

And frankly, I can imagine a perfectly yummy spaghetti sauce without onions. If they're going to be that way to you, dis-invite them!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:confused: ketchup :laugh:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060901082259AA2PWLm

The above poster tried all the folklore methods for peeling and slicing onions, and some of them were fairly funny.

For all them, a very sharp knife sprays less onion juice.

She didn't like the solution to wear a swim mask or safety goggles while dicing onions. That sounded simple and easy to me :)

The method she preferred was:

Place the cutting board next to a gas range and turn on a burner or two.
The heat and flames draw in the onion mist, burn it, and send it up with the rest of the flame exhaust. In the heat the chemical changes such that it no longer irritates the eyes. One could also use the hood exhaust fan while the burners are on. The only drawback with this solution is that some unlucky fools aren't cooking with gas. They could try an electric range on high, but it doesn't really work (better to use several candles instead.) A poor stove arrangement might make it difficult or force you to cut left handed, but it can usually be worked out (and you don't have to stand very close to the flame). As with the fan, you want the flame to pull the onion fumes away from your face. And as pertains to all methods, you want to keep your face as far away from the hacking and hewing action at the cutting board as you can. I have a range with four burners: two on the left and two on the right with a big space between them where I put the cutting board. I turn on the two right burners, stand a bit to the left, and cut with my right hand.

She started with the "burn a candle" method, which worked somewhat, and apparently thought, "heck I have a gas stove..."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah this was a super juicy onion, so that may have been a lot of the problem?

I tried several of the techniques that one of my best friends swears by (the non-chef one lol) but it just didn't work (or if it did, I can't imagine the pain that would've been had I not done those things!!!)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's why the super sharp knife is the smartest starting point. A dull knife just squirts juice all over the place.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's why the super sharp knife is the smartest starting point. A dull knife just squirts juice all over the place.

it was a sharp knife (my dad's a bit OCD about knives and sharpening them) but it liquified in the electric chopper lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:confused: I'm not sure how - it's an article on debunking the link that's gone around lately about the magical powers of the onion. I never bought into that link. All I want is to be able to chop the dang things without causing myself so much pain!