The Podium (Or Lack Thereof) | Golden Skate

The Podium (Or Lack Thereof)

IDLERACER

Medalist
How come they never show the medal ceremonies after competitions anymore? I would've much rather seen that than Button, Fleming and Gannon's redundant yacking about Sasha's lack of focus. Anyhow, if anyone is curious, click on the happy face for a picture of Michelle and Sasha waving to the crowds.
J

Bijoux

Match Penalty
hello Idle

what happened to the bronze gal, Jenny? Was she gone home with the flu??

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Idle, I think because it's live and the medal ceremonies would take too much air time away from ABC. I think the last time I remember them showing the podium after the competition was Worlds 2000 when it was pre-recorded in Nice for the ladies. I could be wrong though.

Hopefully we'll get to see it tommorrow during the exhibitions.

Casper

Rinkside
First the broadcast was already off the air on the east coast by the time the medal ceremony actually took place. They give out the Chevy Scholars first.

Second the medal ceremony is a long deal. The winner gets four different items: a gold medal, flowers, pin, and platter. The other girls get three. As each is presented by a different person who offers congrats and hugs/kisses, it gets really long.

Pati

On the Ice
MAybe they'll show it at the exhibitions today. I thought they always did. Let us hope...!

Jhar55

Medalist
Jenny was holding her side when they were showing her scores.
Look to me that she was getting sick.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
at least they still show us the podium at the olympics. they did show it in 2000 when MK won and in 1994 when Yuka Sato won and also maybe in 1997 (Tara Lipinski). I cant remember if they showed any others.

Jhar55 said:
Jenny was holding her side when they were showing her scores.
Look to me that she was getting sick.
Today's paper (the Detroit free Press) says that she was very sick indeed, with "flu-like symptoms," and that she rushed offstage and vomited right after the scores were posted.

The article says that she told Richard Callaghan earlier in the day that she was not feeling well, and he encouraged her to get through the program on "muscle memory."

"'I don't think people realize what kind of fighter she is,' said Richard Callaghan, her coach at the Onyx."

It also says that Jenny was kind of in awe of Michelle:

"For nearly 10 minutes, it was just the two of them, the champion and the bronze medalist.

"Michelle Kwan, the champion, did most of the talking. Jenny Kirk, the bronze medalist, did most of the listening -- and she was hanging on every word.

"An empty seat reserved for runner-up Sasha Cohen was between them at the post-competition press conference. But as Kirk knows, the distance between Kwan and everyone else in ladies figure skating remains as far apart as ever."

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/skate12_20040112.htm

Mathman

Last edited:
ITA with Casper - The contest when it is LIVE doesn't have time to show a LIVE podium awards. What one sees at the Olys and in some Worlds, and Nats, are taped versions of the events which include the awards ceremonies.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Does anyone know if Sasha chewed gum during the medal ceremony? When they showed her after Kwan had skated, she had gum in her mouth .

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I knew it! That article confirms what I suspected. After her scores came up in the LP, she dashed frantically to get through the curtain. I looked at my brother and said "Oh boy, she looks like she's gonna hurl!"

mission99

Spectator
They also showed the award ceremonies in all 4 disicplines at the 2001 world championships in Vancouver.