Galindo, Nichol Named to U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Galindo, Nichol Named to U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame

That's an interesting trivia question...has any skater/team/coach/choreographer/whatever been in 2 or more different countries hall of fame?

I don't think any other country besides the United States has a figure skating hall of fame. (?)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Of course, considering her other contributions, she might also end up in the Canadian hall of fame (for Jamie and David among others) and the Chinese hall of fame (for Shen and Zhao). I wouldn't complain!

That's an interesting trivia question...has any skater/team/coach/choreographer/whatever been in 2 or more different countries hall of fame?

I don't think any other country besides the United States has a figure skating hall of fame. (?)

Can't tell whether everyone/anyone clicked on the link in the OP to the full USFSA press release re Galindo and Nichol:
It mentions Skate Canada's own selection of Nichol as a new member of its Hall of Fame. Skate Canada made its announcement last month.

The Skate Canada HOF dates back to 1990.

Last edited:
Bret Hedican had a home in North Carolina when he played for the Carolina Hurricanes (they won the Stanley cup in 2006). I think that was their primary residence while he was there. Besides a house in California, I think they also have, or had, a house in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is Bret's home town.

Trivia: Hedican was once traded (from Vancouver to Florida) in a deal that also involved Brad Ference, Michelle' Kwan's ex-boyfriend. :)

Didn't realize the Hurricanes had won the Stanley Cup. That's some high-achievement household!

Christine

Spectator
Oh, thank you so much for posting that Long Programme from 1996. It always makes me pink away a tear whenever I watch it, and so it did again. It is so beautiful te watch, and has been one of my favourite programmes for many years now. On the same level as that wonderful SP Winter by Alexei Yagudin in 2002!

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
congratulations to rudy Galindo and Lori Nichol, well deserviced, and jamie and david for canadian and shen and zhao for chinese. well deserved honor all.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm very happy for Rudi. I still remember the thrilling and poignant US Nats in San Jose when he won the gold medal. Such a hard luck story and wretched childhood. So nice to see someone find something that pulls them out of the mire. Rudi is such a nice guy and this was well-deserved.

I think Lori is fantastic and I, too, wouldn't care how many HOFs she ended up in. They would all be more than earned. Her contribution to skating has been significant on so many levels.

Yes, Kurt has been inducted into something. (If you ask me, he should be inducted into everything!)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeay!!!!!!!! This is great news....man, this is going to be fun to see live and in color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone wanna bet on a standing ovation? :rofl:
YMCA!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yeay!!!!!!!! This is great news....man, this is going to be fun to see live and in color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone wanna bet on a standing ovation? :rofl:
YMCA!

about darn time-galindo 19956 nationals-one of the gret men's comeback skates. loved it then, still do. YMCA was fab u lous! And Lori-finally-MK would have been so much less without Lori's work. Who whooo!

lulu

Final Flight
Congrats to Rudi & Lori! :)

I'm a bit surprised that Russia, as far as I know, doesn't have a figure skating hall of fame.

jcoates

Medalist
Let's not forget Rudy's success in pairs. They were brilliantly synchronous jumpers and spinners as well as overall very good pair skaters. They had tons of potential as a team trying innovative movements and sbs jumps which did not become common until recently. Sadly, there were just not enough hours in the day for them to pursue both disciplines at the same time. So they split just as they were coming into their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

What's interesting is that for about 6 years the best pairs skater in the country, except perhaps Todd Sand, was sitting on the sidelines of pairs events and struggling to reestablish his singles career. Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals. ...

They had not always "remained" close friends, had they? My recollection is that the end of their partnership caused quite a rift in their personal friendship.
That is why I am so pleased that Yamaguchi chose Galindo as her daughter's coach. Such a huge compliment seems to indicate that any hard feelings of the past now are behind them. :)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! Really enjoyed those....I love that entrance to the death spiral.....
Let's not forget Rudy's success in pairs. They were brilliantly synchronous jumpers and spinners as well as overall very good pair skaters. They had tons of potential as a team trying innovative movements and sbs jumps which did not become common until recently. Sadly, there were just not enough hours in the day for them to pursue both disciplines at the same time. So they split just as they were coming into their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

What's interesting is that for about 6 years the best pairs skater in the country, except perhaps Todd Sand, was sitting on the sidelines of pairs events and struggling to reestablish his singles career. Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals.