Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt in Omaha to promote US Nationals | Golden Skate

Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt in Omaha to promote US Nationals

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LynnK LoganGS ‏@lynn_logan_usa
On our way to Omaha for an early visit of the #CenturyLinkCenter. Media promotion for @usfigureskating all day tomorrow!
5:13 PM - 17 Dec 12​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Cool! I love them to pieces. They've been the redheaded step children of US dance for years, laboring in (relative) obscurity. :)slink: all of US ice dance is obscure outside of a few fans).

Their programs:
Short Dance, to Ring of Fire & I Can't Help Falling In Love With You from Ice Challenge, which they won, but the Skate America performance was much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqd5W2DoWqM

Free Dance to Adele, Turning Tables & Rumor Has it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4

icellist

On the Ice
they were my choice for the 3rd spot at worlds last year and still are for this year. Love their acrobats and spunk

they need more exposure on the international stage

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video (6:12 in length) of one of Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt's interviews in Omaha on Tuesday:

Asked about what she has been studying, Kriengkrairut said her concentration at U Mich is/was "biopsychology, cognition, and neuroscience."
Impressive. And her last college final ever was on Wednesday, so congratulations to her are in order.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I agree completely. They are two of the skaters I send support to. Saw them at Spokane 2007 in juniors and saw them first in seniors at Sectionals in Phoenix, Nov 2008 where they won by a whisker. Hey wait a minute.....isnt Emily a red head? I wonder if she is a stepchild too? At SA-Kent Yasa and Yuri told me she was checking out colleges and doing a bit of coaching for them....
Cool! I love them to pieces. They've been the redheaded step children of US dance for years, laboring in (relative) obscurity. :)slink: all of US ice dance is obscure outside of a few fans).

Their programs:
Short Dance, to Ring of Fire & I Can't Help Falling In Love With You from Ice Challenge, which they won, but the Skate America performance was much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqd5W2DoWqM

Free Dance to Adele, Turning Tables & Rumor Has it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTbcVf6eR4

Short Dance, to Ring of Fire & I Can't Help Falling In Love With You...

:clap: :clap: :clap: Was that first pattern a Polka? Is there any requirement as to what constitutes Polka music. The music seemed a little too four-beat and not enough two-beat.

Question number 2. Why didn't they use Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley? That way, they would have picked up extra points for all-time great music. :) Do you have to pay more to use the iconic versions compared to later (and weaker) covers?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, the first pattern was a Yanke Polka-and the requirements on the music for the YP is a 2/4 time signature and a rhythm of 120 beats per minute.

Yes, it's typical for dancers & skaters to use stuff that is in the common domain (Beethoven, for example) or to use cover versions. It is less expensive, generally.

Also, if you have to slow down or speed up the music (necessary for the YP) or add a drum machine to it to get a beat going (required in dance), I would think it would be harder to get approval for the Elvis & Johnny Cash heirs than from somebody doing cover songs.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, Im just sayin'. There is a famous ISU guy whose name escapes me but he is one of the few that went to the ISU 54th Ordinary Congress - Kuala Lumpur this last June to decide technical rules. He is the guy on the ear bug at Olympics and at US Nats on the tech channel. He takes texted questions from the audience. He says the USFSA pays for the music our skaters use at nats. He said there are basically four companies that control most of the music and they get paid. Is that not true?

Yes, the first pattern was a Yanke Polka-and the requirements on the music for the YP is a 2/4 time signature and a rhythm of 120 beats per minute.

Yes, it's typical for dancers & skaters to use stuff that is in the common domain (Beethoven, for example) or to use cover versions. It is less expensive, generally.

Also, if you have to slow down or speed up the music (necessary for the YP) or add a drum machine to it to get a beat going (required in dance), I would think it would be harder to get approval for the Elvis & Johnny Cash heirs than from somebody doing cover songs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's certainly true that there are 4 companies that control most of the music. The question is whether a really big star/star's family has signed up with one of them. For the longest time, Yoko Ono hadn't, and I'm not sure she has yet, for example.

If USFS pays, it would make sense that the cheapest songs would be used...I don't know their exact policy.

Not every federation pays, either.

If all 4 companies' standard contract involves selling the right to have your song butchered by 3rd parties (as for skating), I can see where very big stars might hesitate to sign.

Yes, the first pattern was a Yanke Polka-and the requirements on the music for the YP is a 2/4 time signature...

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I guess the ISU doesn't enforce this rule very strictly.

Beer Barrel Polka (2/4): http://www.8notes.com/school/scores/accordion/beer_barrel1.gif

Ring of Fire (4/4): http://www.musicnotes.com/images/productimages/mtd/MN0097070.gif

"It's a simple dance, the Polka," (says Anna to the King of Siam) "it's just one-two-three-and." Isn't it actually one-and-two-and? ;)

blue eyed birds

Spectator
On the music issue, while I haven't cared for most of these cover versions that appear, either, they also don't usually seem to have been created just for skating. Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt are skating to covers that Chris Isaak recorded for an album a year ago. Emily Samuelson and Todd Gilles skated to a rendition of "Stairway to Heaven" by Mary J. Blige. Crone and Poirier's "Eleanor Rigby" was, I think, a cover by violinist Joshua Bell. The covers might be cheaper than the originals (and sometimes skaters do still use originals, like Virtue and Moir using real Pink Floyd), but I don't think it would be quite as cut-rate as getting a generic cover by a professional studio singer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True. Although studio versions are sometimes done too.

Davis & White's Charleston OD had some studio footage included for "Happy Feet", AFAIR. Virtue & Moir's SD for the Golden waltz did too, AFAIR.

BTW, some artists market their own stuff from their own websites (and/or selling DVD's at concerts)
Dealing with one of those was how Domnina & Shabalin got in trouble with a British musician for using her stuff (found on youtube) without her permission for their Aborigine OD...she was self-managed, AFAIR.