Takahashi and Tran Split | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Takahashi and Tran Split

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, it can be a mistake for people in a close relationship to skate as pairs. Sometimes it does work (Menno/Sand, Gordeeva/Grinkov) but often it doesn't and that can mean the end of the personal relationship (Sale/Pelletier, Bechke/Petrov, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze) or the end of the partnership and the relationship (Marcoux/Buntin).

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think the best suggestion , so far, has been Natasha Purich .. because she's the tiniest (so far) and she really is very light and graceful and already an experienced pair skater. But who knows what Gauthier and Marcotte can pull out of their hats ? I mean , they conjured Mervyn out of nowhere.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Tran tweeted that he was looking for a pairs lady with two consistent triples (though he doesn't like the loop). If that means that Tran has a consistent lutz and flip, whoa. I really hope he finds a talented girl and makes a run at the Sochi team and beyond.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Tran meant a girl with salchow and toe loop or one of those with 2a. IMO, the loop comment was meant as a hint that Amelie Lacoste need not apply....

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
IMO it is a huge mistake on her part. She was just barely good enough to be able to partner him as the clearly weaker of the two, and for them to have success together. I doubt she can even find a male skater up to her level in Japan which has a dearth of mens pair skaters, let alone up to Mervin's level. I suspect her career is now going to be over, unless she wants to switch to singles, and LOL at the idea of her doing anything in singles in Japan, she wouldnt even be better than an old Fumie who cant even get out of Divisional competition. Maybe she just wants to find some partner to get to the Olympics by default, and experience it even with a dead last place finish. Who knows.

I think he can do better than her anyway, and hopefully will find a partner that suits him and that is an even better pairs skater than her (easily doable in Canada, there are a number better than her IMO) and get back to being a contender in a new partnership.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm a lady with two different triples - good luck isn't that what all pairs teams want? Amelie wouldn't be so bad if they could transfer the passion for each other onto the ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
File under: "Adding insult to injury" (Tran edition)

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
7:00am. Door rings. "Who rings at this ungodly hour?" Ignore buzz. Rings again. Answer door. "ISU doping for Mervin of team JPN"... Really?
4:39 AM - 15 Jan 13​

I feel even worse for Tran because he has made unrelated comments more than once in the past that his least favorite thing about competing is the surprise doping checks that can come at any time and any place.
A respite from the unannounced visits would have been a very tiny silver lining to the end of his partnership with Takahashi. But no such luck. :(

File under: "Adding insult to injury" (Tran edition)

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
7:00am. Door rings. "Who rings at this ungodly hour?" Ignore buzz. Rings again. Answer door. "ISU doping for Mervin of team JPN"... Really?
4:39 AM - 15 Jan 13​

I feel even worse for Tran because he has made unrelated comments more than once in the past that his least favorite thing about competing is the surprise doping checks that can come at any time and any place.
A respite from the unannounced visits would have been a very tiny silver lining to the end of his partnership with Takahashi. But no such luck. :(

No kidding? Bummer. Haven't the ISU folks gotten the news?

Well, maybe it's a good omen. He's still in the mix as a pairs skater, so all he need now (all!) is a partner. If he keeps his honor clean, he'll be ready to go as soon as Ms. Right glides into the picture. Here's hoping.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yesterday I thought of another possible partner for Mervin. What about Lyubov Iliushechkina? (If she's still available.)

Pros:

--Lyubov is 5'0", three inches taller than Narumi, but she is absolutely tiny, and at 21 unlikely to grow further
--She has very nice line, posture, musicality & artistry--probably better than Narumi
--Unlike Natasha Purich and the other Canadian girl mentioned, she is Mervin's equal in terms of international experience and level of competition
--She could probably hit the ground running and get the partnership off to a fast start

Cons

--The most obvious: Citizenship. Would the Russian federation be willing to release her to compete for Canada? If so, how long would it take to be Olympics-eligible?
--Her jumps are the weakest part of her skating (like Narumi). Not sure if Mervin would want to deal with that again.

Just a thought--I know it probably wouldn't work out for political reasons--but they could be an interesting pair.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
France tried to get Lyubov, but the Russians refused to release her. I doubt Canada would have better luck.

I still think Natasha Purich would be the ideal partner for Mervin Tran.

NMURA

Medalist
Takahashi and Tran just had such chemistry between them, I think it will be difficult for her to re-create that with a new partner.

T-T can't participate the Olympics. That simple fact could kill all the chemistry. I think their split would be a blessing for the JSF. What they need now is a team which is good enough to avoid embarrassment at Sochi. Anything better than that is a bonus.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I for one hope that this tweet today from Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo will put to rest all the speculation about potential partners from the U.S.:

Good job skaters at this year's Nationals. Quality level of performances were the best in years for all events; good time to return home.
10:26 AM - 20 Jan 13 ·​

deedee1

Record Breaker
Link to article in japanese: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130116/fig13011617590000-n1.html
According to that, Takahashi is doing try-outs and there's the possibility of announcing a new partnership by the end of January.

Any possibility it might be Ryuichi Kiraka? I was surprised to see him at the recent Nats, where he seems to have gained good amont of muscle, especially in his upper body. He has been struggling with mastering 3A; indeed a critical issue for him as a single skater, considering such depth of talented J-boys, you know... He's 20 y.o and pretty tall as a Japanese male skater; 174cm. Pretty good match for Narumi who has just turned 21 and 146cm.

Ryuichi, his most recent appearance at 2012 Nats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnPep-ENhg

Ryuichi at 2011 Jr Worlds, where he appeared more slender/less muscular:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtfphMuI3Gg

I for one hope that this tweet today from Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo will put to rest all the speculation about potential partners from the U.S.:

Good job skaters at this year's Nationals. Quality level of performances were the best in years for all events; good time to return home.
10:26 AM - 20 Jan 13 ·​

Thanks a lot, golden! :) Very glad to know he sounds positive. I sincerely wish Tran best of luck in the new seasons!!! :yes:

Am still devastated by their split as a team, though...:cry:

figuristka

Medalist
A few of us have mentioned Ryuichi Kihara. Must be a good candidate if we saw something in him. I also thought of Kento NAKAMURA but he has been more successful in singles.