Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that's what I thought. Evan, as far as I know, hasn't been with SOI since his Olympic win.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I am a fan of neither Evan or Johnny but I have a feeling in time Johnny will be more remembered than Evan, even with Evans Olympic and World titles. I also think Johnnys future as a show skater is brighter, once Stars on Ice goes under (and it will soon) Evan wont be in demand anywhere. Europe, Asia, and even Canada, dont give a toot about seeing him skate, and he is no draw there.

Me either, but I think Evan is going to be just as popular or in demand as Johnny b/c of his competitive cred. People want to see big name skaters, and though Evan is not at all my favorite skater (far from it b/c I don't care for his style of skating), there are lots of people who like him well enough to buy tickets.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Me either, but I think Evan is going to be just as popular or in demand as Johnny b/c of his competitive cred. People want to see big name skaters, and though Evan is not at all my favorite skater (far from it b/c I don't care for his style of skating), there are lots of people who like him well enough to buy tickets.

Mmm outside the U.S he isnt a name at all. Many outside the U.S probably have already forgotten who won the last mens Olympic Gold.

Gee, Math, I hope you're wrong. That includes Kulik, Yagudin, and Plushenko! I mean, of course non-skating fans will have forgotten, just as I have forgotten all sorts of baseball, basketball, and football champions. But we fans will remember the three champions from 1998, 2002, and 2006 for a long time to come. They're still our faves. I agree that Lysacek won't last as long in our memories. Though I like him just fine and admire his work ethic and perseverance, he's not one of the immortal stars of skating, OGM notwithstanding.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that...

Considering every half serious skating fan in Europe and Asia knows the names Plushenko and Yagudin like the back of their hand still your point would be an epic fail.

Becki

Medalist
Considering every half serious skating fan in Europe and Asia knows the names Plushenko and Yagudin like the back of their hand still your point would be an epic fail.

Let's just say, Evan has less commercial value than both of these former Olympic champions :lol:

Yes. He's more in the Alexei Urmanov range. He did his best work on that one important night, but I doubt that any of his performances are on anyone's "I'll Never Forget" list the way that, for example, Yagudin's Man in the Iron Mask is.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'd agree that Evan or better to say his olympic win won't be as remembered as Yagudins or Plushenkos... but hey, I don't even think that's mainly his fault - if someone says 2010 Olympics, I instantly remember this awesome, awesome ladies event! :love:
Lovely ladies with lovely performanes... the men's event as a whole couldn't stack up at all. In 2010 it was definitly ladies night :yes:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yes. He's more in the Alexei Urmanov range. He did his best work on that one important night, but I doubt that any of his performances are on anyone's "I'll Never Forget" list the way that, for example, Yagudin's Man in the Iron Mask is.

OMG. Everything Yagudin did in the 3 seasons leading up to the Oly was phenomenal. Loved loved loved his programs, jumps, power and artistry.

I'd agree that Evan or better to say his olympic win won't be as remembered as Yagudins or Plushenkos... but hey, I don't even think that's mainly his fault - if someone says 2010 Olympics, I instantly remember this awesome, awesome ladies event! :love:
Lovely ladies with lovely performanes... the men's event as a whole couldn't stack up at all. In 2010 it was definitly ladies night :yes:

ITA. And don't forget the pairs...Shen & Zhao finally getting their OGM... :sniff:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I prefer Evan's Carmen in 2006 and 2007 to Yags' MITIM. I liked Yags' Gladiator more.

I am delighted for the half serious skating fans of Europe and Asia! :yes: As for the U.S., I will try an experiment. I will ask the next 50 people I meet if they can name the last four Olympic gold medalists in men's figure skating. :agree:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am delighted for the half serious skating fans of Europe and Asia! :yes: As for the U.S., I will try an experiment. I will ask the next 50 people I meet if they can name the last four Olympic gold medalists in men's figure skating. :agree:

As the last tour in the U.S, Stars on Ice, is soon to become extinct, the U.S is irrelevant for a professional skater anyway. So who the U.S doesnt know or knows means nothing to ones chances of a touring career.

venlac

On the Ice
mao asada's Triple jump during the last three seasons, rate of success

10-11
3a 1/8 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 6/12 3s 3/4 3t 0/2

11-12
3a 0/4 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 10/12 3s 1/4 3t 2/2

12-13
3a 0 3lo 8/9 3lz 0/3 3f 4/9 3s 1/3 3t 1/3

I think she is really strong in 3LO
rule changed after olympic season,
It is a good thing for her that the basic score of loop is increased (2lo +0.3/3lo +0.2)

and loop is also a only jump that yuna can't

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
here is mao asada's Triple jump during the last three seasons, rate of success

10-11
3a 1/8 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 6/12 3s 3/4 3t 0/2

11-12
3a 0/4 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 10/12 3s 1/4 3t 2/2

12-13
3a 0 3lo 8/9 3lz 0/3 3f 4/9 3s 1/3 3t 1/3

I think she is really strong in 3LO