Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown | Golden Skate

Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

cooper

Medalist
oh boyy... and the drama begins in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2..............

skateluvr

Record Breaker

Who can beat YUNA technically? If she has the jump content she did in Vancouver, skates relatively clean, she would win. I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters. Jumps return to ladies via ms Kim. Jump fans should be thrilled she is back.

Who can beat YUNA technically? If she has the jump content she did in Vancouver, skates relatively clean, she would win. I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters. Jumps return to ladies via ms Kim. Jump fans should be thrilled she is back.

Yuna is certainly not all about jumps.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I think Yunas strong part is pcs than tes. Whenever I watch her scheherazade program, I cant find anyone whose more artistic than Yuna is. But for the topic, I hope Mao an Yuna can bring a great performances to the audience !

Nadia01

Final Flight
I think Yunas strong part is pcs than tes. Whenever I watch her scheherazade program, I cant find anyone whose more artistic than Yuna is. But for the topic, I hope Mao an Yuna can bring a great performances to the audience !

This is actually incorrect if you mean to say that her PCS is higher than her TES in general. Her TES is generally higher than PCS.

Refer to the chart below (somebody thoughtfully compiled it)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/scheherazade777/yunastes-pcs-1.jpg

(Per the person who compiled the chart, the highlighted comps show 2 cases where she lost despite high TES b/c she couldn't get enough PCS.)

Not that this means she's not artistic, etc. but it shows that she rarely gets propped up w/ PCS. (World 2011 is where her PCS was greater than TES)

Another thing to note is that Yuna used to get very high level (3 on step & 4 on spins & spiral), so I don't think that it's going to be all jumps for her this time either. I don't see any reason for it to be that way.

Anyway, it's good that she's back. Hopefully it'll get more ladies to attempt more difficult jumps this season & next.

sather

Rinkside
This is actually incorrect if you mean to say that her PCS is higher than her TES in general. Her TES is generally higher than PCS.

On that point, I've always been thinking that she deserves higher PCS than what she received. I don't get why. :frown:
I agree that her comeback would make other ladies bring more difficult technical components and it's a good thing. While Yuna's been away it seemed like ladies brought less challenging jumps.

MiRé

Match Penalty

Refer to the chart below (somebody thoughtfully compiled it)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/scheherazade777/yunastes-pcs-1.jpg

(Per the person who compiled the chart, the highlighted comps show 2 cases where she lost despite high TES b/c she couldn't get enough PCS.)

Not that this means she's not artistic, etc. but it shows that she rarely gets propped up w/ PCS. (World 2011 is where her PCS was greater than TES)

Another thing to note is that Yuna used to get very high level (3 on step & 4 on spins & spiral), so I don't think that it's going to be all jumps for her this time either. I don't see any reason for it to be that way.

Anyway, it's good that she's back. Hopefully it'll get more ladies to attempt more difficult jumps this season & next.

I totally agree with you. What i meant was her artistic abilities are stronger than any other skaters, and thats something everyone should know. I shouldve elaborated more to not confuse anyone.

And her tes is high too, but thats something we cant assume since it really depends on how she executes her elements. But as far as pcs, her artistry on ice and the transitions she had always been at the top so its easy to assume she'll receive a high score on that part

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
:disapp: I have never liked Jack Gallagher as the writer and his articles with The Japan Times.

Me either. I remember reading one of his articles a few years ago, in which he insisted that top foreign coaches should move to Japan to train Mao Asada, not the other way around, b/c that's how soccer and baseball do it. I was totally like WUT? I think he just writes whatever to fill up the space.

Nadia01

Final Flight
On that point, I've always been thinking that she deserves higher PCS than what she received. I don't get why. :frown:
I agree that her comeback would make other ladies bring more difficult technical components and it's a good thing. While Yuna's been away it seemed like ladies brought less challenging jumps.

Yes. I was surprised that her PCS was almost always lower than her TES. Given the outcries of overscoring, I thought her PCS was almost always higher (if not equal) to her TES.

I totally agree with you. What i meant was her artistic abilities are stronger than any other skaters, and thats something everyone should know. I shouldve elaborated more to not confuse anyone.

And her tes is high too, but thats something we cant assume since it really depends on how she executes her elements. But as far as pcs, her artistry on ice and the transitions she had always been at the top so its easy to assume she'll receive a high score on that part

Thanks for clarification. :)

russell30

Final Flight
Interesting.....

I would not have expected another YuNa v Mao battle at Sochi, we were unsure of YuNa's return and the past 2 seasons for Mao were sub par but Mao seems to have turned it around and YuNa surprised us all at NRW showing little rust and posting the best SP score this season. We all thought the russian young babes would be the contenders (they still might) but they seem to be having puberty issues (along with pressure from federation to succeed).

So yes more likely the same battle as in Vancouver.

My estimation is that Kostner will be in the medal equation too, she has been strong the past couple of seasons and it be great for her to get that olympic monkey off her back.

But anything can happen, we still have a long wait before Sochi....

Kinga

Medalist
What i meant was her (Yuna's) artistic abilities are stronger than any other skaters, and thats something everyone should know.

Hmmmm:scratch: . I sort of don't share that opinion with you and Im sure that not EVERYONE will, even if you say that this is something everyone should know. ;)

Personally, I would prefer that Sochi ladies event does not come down to another Mao/Yuna battle. I would prefer other skaters to mix in.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Kostner on a really special earth-moon-star-apollo 13 aligned day.
7 triples without edge/UR call, with level 4 steps and spins will blow everyone out of the water, including Yuna in Vancouver.

The problem is this girl can't skate a clean program. But she can. Hypothetically speaking, of course. I would cry like a baby the day Kostner delivers this kind of program.

bebevia

On the Ice
I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters.
Not trying to sound so Yunamaniac, but I gotta disagree. Yuna is a reason I fell in love with skating again - and it was one of her programs where she fell. She gets the subtlety and depth of expression that I've always longed for in skating, which is different from broadway-esque American figure. It's not even about nationality, since I didn't know she was Korean. After the 2007 Worlds, the JAPANESE media advertised her as the artistic skater vs Mao of 3A.

And yes... I do enjoy her undisputable jumps, too.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't imagine this would be the showdown for gold because Mao is so far off her 2010 form and she hasn't been able to regain it since. Yes she has had personal obstacles but even her better jumps, like the 3F, are UR'ed. I think the only possible threat for YuNa will be Adelina. She is the only one who can match YuNa's jumps and score well enough on PCS to keep it close. Adelina is far off her best right now but hopefully in another year she will be better prepared. Perhaps Liza could compete if she had a complete overhaul like Kwan in 1995-96. Outside of the two young Russians I think everyone else gives up too many points on TES or PCS to catch YuNa.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
drivingmissdaisy said:
I think the only possible threat for YuNa will be Adelina. She is the only one who can match YuNa's jumps and score well enough on PCS to keep it close. Adelina is far off her best right now but hopefully in another year she will be better prepared. Perhaps Liza could compete if she had a complete overhaul like Kwan in 1995-96. Outside of the two young Russians I think everyone else gives up too many points on TES or PCS to catch YuNa.

I didn't want to bring her up, but I agree about Adelina. If, huge if, she could get herself together and skate clean, she should score extremly well. Adelina flutzes, but she goes for 7 triples, and her jumps are just as huge and powerful as YuNas. She's is a very good spinner too.
Liza is tough, because I'm not sure she can work on her SS enough to be a thread for YuNa.

Anyway, I think Mao and Caro are very well still in the game. Both need to step it up technically, but both are on their way to do so. Honestly, I think if Caro manages a clean 7-triple FS, she's the winner of the night. The main question still is who's going to deliver.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kostner on a really special earth-moon-star-apollo 13 aligned day.
7 triples without edge/UR call, with level 4 steps and spins will blow everyone out of the water, including Yuna in Vancouver.

LOL no skater in history would beat, let alone blow away the Yu Na in Vancouver.