Patrick Chan's Coaching Choice, Is It Wise? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan's Coaching Choice, Is It Wise?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems to me people see problems according to expectations and preconceptions in this case.

Could the expectation be too high because Patrick has been winning just about every competition handily the last two years, such that his podium finishes at every ISU event so far this season is deemed a great failure and regression? Wouldn't a retreat of his trajectory more to be reasonably expected than a continued unprecedented winning streak of every event in sight?

There is a preconception and disapproval that his current coach, Kathy Johnson, is unqualified and totally unsuitable for a world champion and OGM aspirant because of her unconventional credentials. In addition, Patrick's dating her daughter automatically creates assumptions of his mental state regarding his coaching situation. I don't presume to know the facts but I remember when Patrick switched to Christy Krall, an unknown part-time specialty coach, he immediately had a "disastrous" Olympic showing, followed by the infamous 4 falls per competition "scandals". There were a lot of "discussions" of his problems but no outrage and focus on bad coaching and stupid decisions by Patrick.

Again, I don't pretend to know the problems and solutions. Maybe I don't see as big a problem as most do but a necessary learning curve/progress and a natural sequence of drawing back before a possible leap or the launching of a new cycle. If indeed he proceeds from here to greater success, then I see a pattern repeated as set in 2010/11. If Patrick realizes himself what doesn't work and what else he needs, then I believe he will get himself the help he needs. He is surrounded by people he trusts who know and care about him so he will get proper counsel. I will wait to observe what will unfold. However, I do believe a person has to know himself and follow his heart and passion to be great.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Patrick is dating Kathy's daughter, Tess. Though he does say that he started dating her after taking Kathy as his coach. So his reason for taking Kathy as a coach is genuine for improving his artistry but he is most likely (in my opinion) reluctant to do anything to change his coaching relationship due to his personal relationships with her daughter. So again, I do think he just needs to sit down during the holidays and reevaluate his decision by prioritizing his goals and what he wants out of his skating career. Now that we are half way through the season, he's seen what his competitors are bringing to the table and he needs to see what he can do to move forward and not let others surpass him. I do agree that the big factor is others are playing catch up to him at a very fast speed and if he is continuing like this, it's only a matter of time before the positions are switched and he's the one playing catch up.

I think this is pretty much what he needs to do at this point.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1278803--for-canada-s-patrick-chan-breaking-up-is-easy-to-do-dimanno

Last edited:

starryxskies

On the Ice
There is a preconception and disapproval that his current coach, Kathy Johnson, is unqualified and totally unsuitable for a world champion and OGM aspirant because of her unconventional credentials. In addition, Patrick's dating her daughter automatically creates assumptions of his mental state regarding his coaching situation. I don't presume to know the facts but I remember when Patrick switched to Christy Krall, an unknown part-time specialty coach, he immediately had a "disastrous" Olympic showing, followed by the infamous 4 falls per competition "scandals". There were a lot of "discussions" of his problems but no outrage and focus on bad coaching and stupid decisions by Patrick.
I think the difference is that with Christy, we can at least see that he had a good training team behind him. We can't say he's not reaching his potential because he has a good team backing him up, doing the best they can to improve his abilities.

With Kathy, he's lacking the complete team package and here's where the fans are pointing fingers because he's not reaching the potential he could be reaching. Here's where the "what ifs" apply. ie. If he had a better and more experienced coach, he could be progressing and pushing his limits with his abilities.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
It seems to me people see problems according to expectations and preconceptions in this case.

Could the expectation be too high because Patrick has been winning just about every competition handily the last two years, such that his podium finishes at every ISU event so far this season is deemed a great failure and regression? Wouldn't a retreat of his trajectory more to be reasonably expected than a continued unprecedented winning streak of every event in sight?

Again, I don't pretend to know the problems and solutions. Maybe I don't see as big a problem as most do but a necessary learning curve/progress and a natural sequence of drawing back before a possible leap or the launching of a new cycle. If indeed he proceeds from here to greater success, then I see a pattern repeated as set in 2010/11. If Patrick realizes himself what doesn't work and what else he needs, then I believe he will get himself the help he needs. He is surrounded by people he trusts who know and care about him so he will get proper counsel. I will wait to observe what will unfold. However, I do believe a person has to know himself and follow his heart and passion to be great.
I agree with this post. I know Patrick has been winning everything for the last two seasons, but I wouldn't call medaling at both GP events and the GPF this season a failure or a disaster. I am a huge fan of Patrick's skating, but part of me hopes he doesn't win worlds this year, just to take a bit of the pressure off for Sochi. Most other skaters would consider a gold, silver, and bronze in the GP a respectable showing. It's just that because Patrick has been so dominant, we're disappointed when he comes back to earth. My view is that Patrick can do whatever he chooses about his coaching situation and the results will fall where they may. Besides, he can't control how other skaters will skate or what the judges' marks will be, so his road to the OGM is only partially in his control anyway. I'm just grateful to have been able to watch his skating over the years.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the difference is that with Christy, we can at least see that he had a good training team behind him. We can't say he's not reaching his potential because he has a good team backing him up, doing the best they can to improve his abilities.

With Kathy, he's lacking the complete team package and here's where the fans are pointing fingers because he's not reaching the potential he could be reaching. Here's where the "what ifs" apply. ie. If he had a better and more experienced coach, he could be progressing and pushing his limits with his abilities.

That's what I mean by preconception. In each case, we were/are not seeing the eventual result or the potential reached yet. Because of the preconception/judgement, people are pointing fingers and not looking at other possible causes, development or eventuality. This is like police focusing on convicting a particular suspect that they overlook other possibilities.

I think we should simply take Patrick at his word. He made a conscious decision this year to put technical improvements on the back burner and work on elevating his artistic expression. This he has done.

Next year we will see if he can put it all together and zoom out in front of the pack again. Will his career turn out to be a parabola peaking in 2010-2011, or an amplified sine wave dipping in season only to soar to ever loftier heights? :)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Next year we will see if he can put it all together and zoom out in front of the pack again. Will his career turn out to be a parabola peaking in 2010-2011, or an amplified sine wave dipping in season only to soar to ever loftier heights? :)

appropriate references :thumbsup:

heyhey

On the Ice
Good discussion. Of course, as fans we don't know the entire support team that works behind the scenes. Patrick is an exceptional skater and I think we all enjoy his skating. Obviously it always easier to criticize and Chan has his fair share of detractors. As a fan of athletics, I think it would be naive to say that basically one year away from the Olympics that Chan would not evaluate his progress to date. If he's happy with his progression then I am fine with it. I just don't believe at this point that a 21 year old athlete gets the entire picture. And what you want to establish is consistency and confidence.

ETA: In addition, it will be interesting if Chan keeps the same LP for next year....

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It depends on what perspective you're asking from.

If Chan learns and grows as a skater and human being; gains new commitment to a sport he excels at and enjoys the process he's undertaking, I don't think we can say it was the wrong decision. We don't have to live in his shoes. Remember, he was having major issues about his time in the sport - he was thinking retirement before Vancouver (after the season) and before Nice he was again contemplating his future in the sport (both he and Krall have said this). If working with Johnson as his lead coach provides this, then I can't fault it.

As a fan who actually preferred Aranjuez to Boheme and Exilados to Elegy, I don't find him more artistic this year at all, though I do see him putting more effort into being more artistic.

As someone rooting for him to win Worlds 2013 and Olympics 2014, I think I'm gonna stay worried until he does so. In many respects, Patrick is doing the opposite of what the field did when he improved in the 10/11 season. When they guy who doesn't need a quad to win has a quad, you'd better have one too. Now those guys are going for two quads and two triple axels, or three quads and a triple axel. They're just as COP saavy in terms of jump layout. They've added the transitions. Level four steps are easy now (seriously, we went from three men a competition to something junior pairs can do.) Someone like Fernandez can out level Chan on spins (and Fernandez is not a strong spinner). I think he's giving up a lot.

SGrand

Final Flight
It depends on what perspective you're asking from.

If Chan learns and grows as a skater and human being; gains new commitment to a sport he excels at and enjoys the process he's undertaking, I don't think we can say it was the wrong decision. We don't have to live in his shoes. Remember, he was having major issues about his time in the sport - he was thinking retirement before Vancouver (after the season) and before Nice he was again contemplating his future in the sport (both he and Krall have said this). If working with Johnson as his lead coach provides this, then I can't fault it.

^ This! I was thinking about Patrick and Krall's statements regarding his having a rough few months prior to World's where he was almost contemplating quitting. They didn't elaborate, but he seemed really really down (and maybe even bored....?). If this is what it took to keep him in the game, then so be it, I'm glad he stuck it out. Maybe we won't see the benefits he reaps from this decision until next year.......or maybe he'll add a full time technical coach as well if he decides. I wish him all the best and hope that he can continue to grow and improve on his way to Sochi.

Last edited by a moderator:

starryxskies

On the Ice
That's true, I think from what we've seen to date, it's not hard to play the blame game on his coaching/Kathy especially when we compare his progress to his top peers who all have adequate coaches and training facilities. To be fair, I'll wait until the end of the season to write my final conclusion.

Knowing what you guys said about his thoughts of retiring after Vancouver, I think he definitely needed this period of full training control just to get it out of his system anyway.

ETA: In addition, it will be interesting if Chan keeps the same LP for next year....

I think it'll be likely that he keeps one of his programs for next year. That seems to be the trend with him; but LP, not so sure. He only kept his SP for Olympic season last time. I think he should create all new programs though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just asking, as an outsider, seriously:

Canadian posters have told us Rosie Dimanno is not a believable source for what skaters say or do in other threads. They say she is often uninformed and is always to be trusted to take a tabloidish perspective...is she a believable source for who Patrick is dating, and how that affects his coaching decisions?

emdee

Final Flight
Rosie writes for Rosie and for effect.... the facts are usually correct but the interpretation can be skewed in the way she wants.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Yeah she definitely wouldn't risk anything by providing false quotes. It's also pretty well known among Patrick's followers that he's dating, by spotting them at competitions and such.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
There is no question on whom Patrick is dating. Patrick himself has confirmed it a couple of times. As of how it has affected his coaching decisions, there were many analysis. Patrick himself has denied it in an interview. I do not pretend to know whether or not it has truly affected his decision. I just think that the result and the effect of this decision are quite obvious.

I think Dimanno is a reporter who dislikes (hate might be too strong a word, but I don't know) Patrick Chan for sure. She often twists the facts but she won't make up the facts. Snarky, sharp, negative, always looking for cracks and holes are her writing style. She might use misinformed info because of her limited understanding on figure skating. Her writings, like any writers, are full of her own views and judgement. But to me, it is one source of info and opinion. I won't deny it. Take it with grains of salt, and use your own judgement on her writing.