Stars On Ice 2012-13 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice 2012-13

anya_angie

Final Flight
Hey guys,
I was just wondering why there are so few stops for SOI 2012-2013. Is it just too early for them to have listed all of them, or are they really only doing these few cities? Since Ilia's going to be in it, and Dorothy is making a return, and Kurt is saying goodbye after this, I really want to see it in Pittsburgh... So far, though, I only see like 5-6 shows for SOI...

This is what happens when, for the very first time, I had money for tickets a month before the stops were announced... If I had no money, I bet they'd be coming to Pittsburgh LOL.

Teenes

On the Ice
No, six cities are the complete tour, so I wouldn't wait for them to list more. The tour has been shrinking every year for various economic reasons, the biggest of which is that they haven't had a primary sponsor since two years ago, and the sponsor brings in the bulk of the money for the tour. I'm not sure how close Hershey is to you, and if you already have New Year's Eve plans, but you may want to consider traveling there to see the show.

I have heard that they may do a considerably longer tour next year post-Olympics. I'm guessing that cast will be pretty different since they'll be trying to grab as many of the current Olympics-bound stars as they can then. And it's anyone's guess which cities that tour will include.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my computer took 15 minutes to post an answer, so Teenes beat me to it... so I editted it out so I wouldn't be repetitive.

Riemann

Rinkside
Wow. Six shows for the entire tour? I knew they weren't doing well, but that is worse than I thought.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
THe stops aren't even big cities or in major metropolitan areas. SOI used to be at Madison Square Garden. THen it transitioned to the now Izod Center in northern NJ and the Nassau Collesium in LI. THen it was LI, Trenton and Philly. Now, it's not even in the NYC area, at all.

I think it's essentially down to less expensive venues - similar to when the tour 1st started.

I agree that it might have more stops after the Olympics, but likely only if North American people win medals ( at least for the US tour.)

Riemann

Rinkside
Man, that is such a bummer..

In a way, it is, but it is also hard to say that the wounds weren't at least partially self-inflicted. It never evolved with the times. Adding more flavor might have alienated a few of the old-fashioned types, but it also would have helped it appeal to the new generations, which is necessary for long-term survival. [Of course, the same can be said for figure skating in general (especially in NA) but SOI in particular has a Lawrence Welk feel to it.]

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Last year was the first year I missed the tour since the tour started. I could drive to Hersey but it is two hours, it is New Years Eve in an area that could see snow this time of the year. Sadly, I don't think the tour is going to last. It's a shame because I really enjoyed it and the cast this year is great. Guess the money just isn't there. Wish they would find a sponsor and bring the show to bigger cities. I guess I'll have to satisfy my need for live shows with the concert tickets I bought for next year!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going to Hershey, but will be staying over. We don't want to come home on New Year's Eve & have to worry about crazy drivers.

Smuckers, where are you (as a sponsor) when a tour like SOI really needs you?

We're going to Hershey, but will be staying over. We don't want to come home on New Year's Eve & have to worry about crazy drivers.

Smuckers, where are you (as a sponsor) when a tour like SOI really needs you?

I'm so glad you're going, Iluvtodd. You're smart to stay off the roads on 12/31. Can't wait to hear your report. Enjoy every minute of the show! Will there be any opportunity to see the skaters close-up?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The show was fabulous! Give me a few days to get caught up with things. The tribute to Kurt with his iconic "Singin' in the Rain" was definitely a highlight. I am also SO impressed with Shawn Sawyer, whom I've always enjoyed watching competitively on TV. This was the first time we saw him live, and he is spectacular - in terms of flexibility - he is the male version of Sasha (and I mean that in a totally complimentary way). A very cute encounter. At the end of the group's "Come Together" program (The Beatles - beginning of Act 2), I waved my Canadian flag. Kurt saw it, came over to our center ice seats, "borrowed" it, waved it, and pretended to stick it in his pants pocket (they are probably pleather pants with no pockets)! :laugh: :biggrin:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thank you for the report! Cute story about Kurt he is such a jokster.

herios

Medalist
The show was fabulous! Give me a few days to get caught up with things. The tribute to Kurt with his iconic "Singin' in the Rain" was definitely a highlight. I am also SO impressed with Shawn Sawyer, whom I've always enjoyed watching competitively on TV. This was the first time we saw him live, and he is spectacular - in terms of flexibility - he is the male version of Sasha (and I mean that in a totally complimentary way). A very cute encounter. At the end of the group's "Come Together" program (The Beatles - beginning of Act 2), I waved my Canadian flag. Kurt saw it, came over to our center ice seats, "borrowed" it, waved it, and pretended to stick it in his pants pocket (they are probably pleather pants with no pockets)! :laugh: :biggrin:

To reiterate what Iluvtodd was stating, here is Shawn's skate from LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1--dPITX8

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link, herios! How wonderful to relive Shawn's performance!