Silly question about the medalists | Golden Skate

Silly question about the medalists

swissskate

Rinkside
I'm quite new to this board and non-American so there are things that sound a little bit strange for me. Perhaps the answer or the question has already been posted on the forum but I'm asking it anyway: why are they 4 medalists at the US champs? Anyone knows it? Sounds lil strange to me cause in all sports at every competition there are only 3 medals to take...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The 4th place finisher at Nationals receives a pewter medal and is part of the medal ceremony. I'm a little unclear myself as to why they do this; my theory is that it's a throwback to the 40s and 50s when the US was able to send 4 or 5 entrants to the Worlds and it may have something to do with that.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You're welcome -- but I am hoping someone who has a better grasp of some of the more obscure points of USFSA history has a better answer, because I've always thought it was rather odd to have a 4th medallist out there myself.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Here is an explanation from a rather helpful website:

At the regional and sectional qualifying competitions for US Nationals, there are four skaters on the podium because it's the top four that advance to the next level of competition and it makes sense to honor all of them at the medal ceremony. US Nationals is also considered a "qualifying" competition in the USFSA rulebook, and is governed by the same rules regarding medals and awards.

The medals presented to the fourth-place skaters are made of pewter.

Last edited:
OT -- Did you all know that the difference between bronze and pewter is that bronze is about 90% copper and the rest tin, while pewter is about 90% tin and the rest copper and antimony?

OK, I'm going to stop now.

You can expect silly posts like this from me for a week or so as I ever-so-gradually come down off my Michelle high.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Now Mathman you must keep that Michelle high and build to Worlds, LOL, Besides we love a Mathman that not only has chemistry but can talk chemistry.;) :love: :D

IDLERACER

Medalist
The simple fact of the matter is that a bevy of four beauties is alot more photogenic than a bevy of three. Perhaps a good nickname for the pewter medalist would be "Zeppo." For a good look at this year's Marx sisters, click on the spider web:

"

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
I have wondered why if they are going to give four places out to skating winners why you only see all pics of just the three medalist, nor why we don't see all four on the podium receiving their medals and not just the three? The fourth place finisher gets none of the glory of the other three and very seldom gets mentioned, therefore it does not appear to be a place of honor. I didn't even realize until recently that they gave a place four or a pewter medal to someone in fourth. So, I don't think the original question was dumb. However, with all the talent in skating and so few places would it not be nice to the fourth place finisher get more attention. Afterall, if getting placed in the top 10 is such an honor in this field, should not a fourth place finisher not get more attention? (I always thought Amber should get alittle more attention. She has been at it awhile now);)

Actually, there are pictures of the 4 Finalists. Check out the USFSA web page.

It was nice to see Amber Corwin up there with the 'greats'. She's been around a long time and her 4th place medal must mean a lot to her.

I think the concept of a Pewter Medal is to encourage figure skating in the USA.

Joe

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
The 4th place finisher shows up in pictures, etc. in figure skating magazines and figure skating websites, but not in the general press/public. Before I attended my first nationals in Dallas, I had no idea that they awarded a 4th place medal.

Thanks to Ptichka for the explanation, to Idleracer for the pic (and the hilarious 'Zeppo' :laugh: ), and to Mathman for the interesting chemistry facts.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
The simple fact of the matter is that a bevy of four beauties is alot more photogenic than a bevy of three. Perhaps a good nickname for the pewter medalist would be "Zeppo." For a good look at this year's Marx sisters, click on the spider web:

"

I'd just like to know what these ladies have got against BANGS! I mean, wouldn't they look nice like this::D :D

http://www.scrapbookgift.com/backup2/hair_colors_&_styles.htm

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't know, I personally think having bangs would be kind of annoying on your forehead when you're out there skating. I don't know how some of those floppy-headed guys do it.
Actually, for a classic podium, hair-wise, it's hard to beat the 1968 Olympic podium with Peggy Fleming, Gaby Seyfert, and Hana Maskova. Each of these women had a beehive at least 9 inches high and it must have been quite a chore for the people who were presenting the medals to get them over all that hair and onto their necks!!! No wonder jumping among the Ladies did not really take off until the 70s -- those 'do's were not made for aerodynamics!!:laugh:

Zaphyre

Spectator
USFSA gives four medals because in Regionals and Sectionals the top four qualify for the next level so giving medals to all four makes sense. Giving four medals at Nationals carries the trend through the whole structure.

skatepixie

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:

Actually, for a classic podium, hair-wise, it's hard to beat the 1968 Olympic podium with Peggy Fleming, Gaby Seyfert, and Hana Maskova. Each of these women had a beehive at least 9 inches high and it must have been quite a chore for the people who were presenting the medals to get them over all that hair and onto their necks!!! No wonder jumping among the Ladies did not really take off until the 70s -- those 'do's were not made for aerodynamics!!:laugh:

Must have been a required element. Can anyone show me a pic. I think ive only seen pics of Peggy alone, but I could have sworn that I saw one where she had to bend waaaaay down to allow the official to put the gold over her hair.....