US Ladies Who Might Retire After 2014? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

US Ladies Who Might Retire After 2014?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Only tuktamisheva is a possibility and that's if she gets like 70 TES. Kostner and asada don't even really need jumps! Yu-na combines both jumps and the rest of Tes and pcs but right now jumps are the least important element in ladies skating.

This is true, but no one is landing them. Those that are, like Liza, give up too many points on PCS. I can see Yu Na winning worlds by 20+ points this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seriously!
Wagner will need the top girls to zamboni a few spots and she will have to be perfect to come near the podium. She will need to watch her back for Akiko as well. I think she might have 2-3 points advantage over Akiko for being US #1 but not enough a spread to guarantee a higher placement.

Other girls like Kiira, and one of the Russians could give her a good run as well.

Wagner is second tier, and always is. The sudden rise is reminiscent of Evan running up to the Olympics. Really inexplicable stuff.

Ashely has already beaten many of the contenders in the last 12 months including this season alone. But she's already beaten Mao at Japan Open, Akiko at Japan Open and GPF, Kiira at GPF, Alena and Adelina at Skate America, Liza at TEB. Just about the only people she hasn't beaten is Carolina and Yuna.

I don't see someone who won both her GP events and got a silver medal at GPF as being second tier at all. And I think while she needs that 3-3, she in the meanwhile has improved greatly in other aspects of her skating. She's not just being given better scores, she's skating better period.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashely has already beaten many of the contenders in the last 12 months including this season alone. But she's already beaten Mao at Japan Open, Akiko at Japan Open and GPF, Kiira at GPF, Alena and Adelina at Skate America, Liza at TEB. Just about the only people she hasn't beaten is Carolina and Yuna.

I don't see someone who won both her GP events and got a silver medal at GPF as being second tier at all. And I think while she needs that 3-3, she in the meanwhile has improved greatly in other aspects of her skating. She's not just being given better scores, she's skating better period.

Ashley beat them when they are really terrible. Mao only needs 5 clean triple in the LP to beat Ashley with 6 clean triples. Mao can beat her in the SP.
Ashley has some points advantage over Akiko, so if both are clean, she would come out ahead.
Ashley can definitely beat Kiira, but not that easy.

Honestly, do you think that a clean Ashley will place anywhere near a clean Mao, Yuna, Carolina? She's second tier. She has to count on others to make mistakes, and she has to be at her best for her to break through. That is second tier.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Honestly, do you think that a clean Ashley will place anywhere near a clean Mao, Yuna, Carolina? She's second tier. She has to count on others to make mistakes, and she has to be at her best for her to break through. That is second tier.

She's been top tier all season among this group of competitors. That top tier consisted of Ashley, Mao and Akiko. BUT with Yu-Na and Carolina in the mix, Ashley drops down to second tier along with Akiko.

A lot of cards would have to fall into place for Ashley to win worlds this year but it's not impossible...just very improbable. I think just making it to the podium this year would be an accomplishment.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Mao doesn't need 5 clean triples. That's too many. Like 2 or 3.

No, I seriously doubt 3 triples will hold her up at worlds. The reason she got away with it so far this season is b/c of the skaters she was up against. Lipniskaya is a newcomer and the rest of her skating doesn't measure up to Mao's; plus she didn't skate all that cleanly at COC herself. The judges gave Mao the win and I agreed with that. For whatever reason the judges don't seem to like to give Akiko her due so at NHK (home field advantage) the #1 Japanese lady was held up to win. The GPF was a bit of a splatfest with both Ashley and Akiko falling twice. Mao didn't have a lot of ratified triples but she was the clear winner that night.

But against Yu-Na and Carolina she won't be able to get by with so few triple jumps. If Ashley has a stellar performance she'll beat Mao as well. The level of competition will be much higher at worlds so Mao will have to deliver in order to win or place well.

fairly4

Medalist
personnally i would see from the u.s.
ashley if she medals at worlds, olympics,
alissa,
the others mirai, caroline, gracie, agnes, will probably stay in. unless money problems for caroline zhang out. helped agnes with money problems getting assignments and such, gracie, i don't know why no one bothered to state anything about usfsa helping caroline zhang with money problems.
rachel, and christina on the fence due to them being in college, might want to finish college and than come back.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
But against Yu-Na and Carolina she won't be able to get by with so few triple jumps. If Ashley has a stellar performance she'll beat Mao as well. The level of competition will be much higher at worlds so Mao will have to deliver in order to win or place well.

To be fair to Mao, Yuna and Carolina don't consistently turn out 6 triples LP. I think most likely both girls will have 5 triples.
If Mao wants to win, she will need to out jump these two. PCS are close between the three. The cleanest will win. Don't think Yuna will run away with PCS like in Vancouver again.

Ashley, Akiko, Liza can do 3 triples SP, 7 triples LP and won't place on the podium if any of the top girls are remotely clean. They are always second tier skaters. Just like a bunch of hyenas laughing hysterically thinking they are top dogs when no lionesses are around.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Mao doesn't need 5 clean triples. That's too many. Like 2 or 3.

To beat an even decent Yu Na Kim, Mao will need atleast 6 triples. However if Yu Na Kim kills the SP and takes a big lead like usual, she might need 7 and the triple axel and or a triple-triple.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No, I seriously doubt 3 triples will hold her up at worlds. The reason she got away with it so far this season is b/c of the skaters she was up against. Lipniskaya is a newcomer and the rest of her skating doesn't measure up to Mao's; plus she didn't skate all that cleanly at COC herself. The judges gave Mao the win and I agreed with that. For whatever reason the judges don't seem to like to give Akiko her due so at NHK (home field advantage) the #1 Japanese lady was held up to win. The GPF was a bit of a splatfest with both Ashley and Akiko falling twice. Mao didn't have a lot of ratified triples but she was the clear winner that night.

This. Plus the judges had no issue placing Mao 6th at Worlds the past two years, and in 2011 she even skated a decent FS, not great, but not a meltdown or pop-fest like like year or NHK. So I agree that Mao will have to step it up at Worlds if she hopes to medal/win. PCS will hold her up but only to maybe 5th or 6th place, if she wants to go higher than that, she'll need the jumps. Not the 3a or a 3-3 necessarily, but get full credit for all her jumps in the SP if she keeps her current layout, and keep the URs/doubles to 1 or maybe 2 in the FS. Any more mistakes than that I don't think will cut it at Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Czisny is surely done by the end of 2014
I could see Zhang and Flatt retire early soon as the new younger girls will be harder for them to compete with

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Ashley, Akiko, Liza can do 3 triples SP, 7 triples LP and won't place on the podium if any of the top girls are remotely clean. They are always second tier skaters. Just like a bunch of hyenas laughing hysterically thinking they are top dogs when no lionesses are around.

For the most part I agree (not with the hyena part you cheeky little devil, you ;) ) but the part about no one getting close to the top three ladies.

However, I think of that group Ashley does have a shot if she's clean. She's got the judges and momentum on her side this season. I honestly feel like a squeaky clean Ashley (a la TEB but maybe with an extra triple, 2a-3t) will beat a lackluster Mao, Carolina or even possibly Yu-Na. If Miki could beat a shaky Yu-Na, I know Ashley can if only narrowly.

Where Ashley places will be determined by how well the others skate. The law of averages almost guarantees someone will have an off night at worlds. If that happens and Ashley skates the way she's been skating, I could see the judges rewarding her for a clean performance. She has complete programs that have been well received by the judges all season long.

Her program has 6 triples and if she adds a 7th, even better. All those triples combined with the strength of the program and Ashley's delivery should be enough to get her by the top names if they are flawed. Against all three ladies clean? The best she can hope for is 4th. But with mistakes...Ashley definitely has a chance.

The overall best skate of the night should win. Reputation scoring has been running rampant this season and I really don't want to see it at worlds this year...it might be asking for too much but...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also think Ashley can break through. She has done great this season and is viewed as a top tier skater internationally. Yes, the top 3 have to make mistakes for her to medal, but the fact is they do make mistakes. It could be a silly fall that throws off part of a program like Yuna did at her Nationals, or a few pops and URs that we have seen from Mao, or falls that we could see from Caro, especially considering that she appears to be attempting more difficult content. All three won't happen, but I'd be surprised if at least one doesn't. If that happens, Ashley still has to deliver her best to claim a medal but she has been as consistent as anyone out there so she can do it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL Yu Na how she skated at her Nationals would crush Ashley. She would need to make alot more problems than that for Ashley to touch her.