Plushenko wins tenth title at Russian Nationals | Golden Skate

Plushenko wins tenth title at Russian Nationals

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgeni Plushenko won his tenth title at the 2013 Russian National Figure Skating Championships in Sochi. Sergei Voronov came in second, 12 points behind Plushenko, while Konstantin Menshov pulled up from sixth place to win the bronze.

More on the Men's Long Program from Russian Nationals

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This doesn't really surprise me - not that I think he in anyway does not deserve it. I don't think Plush would compete if he wasn't ready to lay it down.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I love Plushenko but I think he can no longer compete with the top tier of men (Chan, Dai, Hanyu). The quality of his jumps, his choreography, and his transitions are nowhere near the top 3. I think that, because Sochi is in Russia, he could get PCS on par with those skaters with the home country scoring. However, he is going to lose a lot of ground to those guys on GOE of the jumps and spins.

lilywang

Rinkside
Congratulations !

Really nice double New Year 's gift, being Russian champion for the 10th times, and being named Athlete of the year by poll again, beating soccer and tennis stars.

Hope he will skate as long as he likes!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No surprise, but I am a little disapointed he won't skate at world's. It's like he knows he has been passed by three Japanese men, Fernadez and a Canadian named Chan

yaya124

On the Ice
Congrats to Plushy's win!! 10th national title and 60th gold medal overall!!

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
No surprise, but I am a little disapointed he won't skate at world's. It's like he knows he has been passed by three Japanese men, Fernadez and a Canadian named Chan
He will face Fernandez at Euros anyway and the third Japanese man wont even go to Worlds(Kozuka:cry: ), unless you mean he is passed by Mura. For now he has the 4th personal total score and thats from Sheffield where his sp score sth like low 84 so maybe he is not top three but still quite competitive for Worlds.

Thank you for the article!!!:love:

LRK

Record Breaker
For my part, I certainly think Plushy knows what he's about - after all, he says:

“Overall I am happy, but there is still a lot of work to be done,” Plushenko summed up. “Obviously, I know that such a performance is unlikely to be competitive at the European Championships, so I need a miracle now. I need to recover, to heal my injuries. The most important thing is to be healthy. Healthy, I can go on for a long time.”

If people keep writing him off, he might end up being the underdog. I think he might enjoy the change of pace. :)

And congratulations to the King indeed! Once King of Ice - always King of Ice! (curtseys deeply)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
another interview:
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/7385.html

"We have several options of the long program, and in one of them 70% of jumps are in the second half. Naturally, in the championship of Russia, I did not skate it. Still it looks more interesting, and I hope to skate it in the Europeans. And, of course, there is a second quad in it (smiles)! Without this, it will be difficult to win."

Last edited:
Evgeni Plushenko won his tenth title at the 2013 Russian National Figure Skating Championships in Sochi. Sergei Voronov came in second, 12 points behind Plushenko, while Konstantin Menshov pulled up from sixth place to win the bronze.

More on the Men's Long Program from Russian Nationals

Well, of course he wins! Good going, Plushenko.

I don't know whether at this point he's in contention for an international medal, but he's going to give it everything he has for as long as he can, and that alone should make for a memorable showing wherever he decides to compete. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Sochi. Hope he gets healthy for it so we can see him at his best!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well, of course he wins! Good going, Plushenko.

I don't know whether at this point he's in contention for an international medal, but he's going to give it everything he has for as long as he can

He won Euros just a year ago and he is no worse now, I think his chances for a Euro medal are high.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great article, thank you! I assume the top three medal finishers will go to Europeans. Who will get
Russia's one spot for Worlds, it sure is a nail-biter.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I love Plushenko but I think he can no longer compete with the top tier of men (Chan, Dai, Hanyu). The quality of his jumps, his choreography, and his transitions are nowhere near the top 3. I think that, because Sochi is in Russia, he could get PCS on par with those skaters with the home country scoring. However, he is going to lose a lot of ground to those guys on GOE of the jumps and spins.

Even with Olympics in Sochi he is not going to get 9s in PCS like Chan and Takahashi are easily capable of, or probably even high 8s like Hanyu is capable of. Not a chance.

lilywang

Rinkside
Plushenko has competed as no-name new comer, the underdog, or the-one-to-beat. Doesn't matter how others view his chances, when he steps on ice, he will be the one and the only Plushenko. That's what many people are paying to see:)

Champions come and go, Plushenko stays.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes Olympia, I m going:popcorn:, it was not sure but i knew many people will go and i got jealous so I booked my ticket a month ago and I got all around ticket, so I ll be watching from pairs short:biggrin:

my statistics so far are that every time I go to a competition Plushy wins:p

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yes Olympia, I m going:popcorn:, it was not sure but i knew many people will go and i got jealous so I booked my ticket a month ago and I got all around ticket, so I ll be watching from pairs short:biggrin:

my statistics so far are that every time I go to a competition Plushy wins:p

I am glad that you are going seniorita, your reports are always so informative.

You are Plushy's Good Luck Charm, maybe I will take you with me to Dai's competitions and see if
your charms work for him. :biggrin: