Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yu Na Kim Will Compete at Korean Nationals

SXTN

Final Flight
After seeing Kim and Kostner at Nationals, I think Mao will be lucky to finish in third place at Worlds.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Hi guys. I'm Ben. I have been reading this forum for months but only now decided to register. I'm sooo happy with Yuna' s result! The queen is sooo back! I'm both a Yuna and a Caro fan believe it or not. I' ve been following these girls since I saw them at worlds in 2007. What I love most about them is their mature artistry and passion with which they both skate. Having said that, what do you think about theyr pcs scores at nationals both in sp and fs. It is the highest that females ever recieved under the new score system. Yuna: 35+, 75+ and Caro: 36+, 76+. Aren' t they too high? Would they be scored this high at worlds if they would skate clean? Just want an honest opinion from you guys. Thanks.
Welcome! :) And, my answer to your question: no, they wouldn't. At Nationals like Italian/Korean the judges don't have a comparison: there is one (sometimes two) excellent skater, the others are pretty normal, so they usually overscore that skater because he/she is clearly head and shoulders above all the rest; in Japan, for example, they have a lot of very good ladies so the scores aren't too inflated. But I believe that, when Kostner wouldn't receive 10 or 9.75 in international competitions, Yu-Na wasn't really a lot overscored: the technical score was correct, maybe the PCS would be 2-3 points lower, but not a lot I think...

Nadia01

Final Flight
Welcome! :) And, my answer to your question: no, they wouldn't. At Nationals like Italian/Korean the judges don't have a comparison: there is one (sometimes two) excellent skater, the others are pretty normal, so they usually overscore that skater because he/she is clearly head and shoulders above all the rest; in Japan, for example, they have a lot of very good ladies so the scores aren't too inflated. But I believe that, when Kostner wouldn't receive 10 or 9.75 in international competitions, Yu-Na wasn't really a lot overscored: the technical score was correct, maybe the PCS would be 2-3 points lower, but not a lot I think...

I don't think CaroK is going to get 10 at worlds either, but Yuna, if she skates clean, will likely get the similar TES and slightly lower PCS like you said.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They really should consider using dashes for the ignored judge in PCS as well. Either that or judge 7 was really harsh.

prettykeys

Medalist
(then the interviewer started explaining that if Yuna gets silver or gold, Korea gets 3 spots, and Yuna sort of swayed back and forth a lil , like she's feeling the pressure, while the crowd cheered lol.)

- Let's give loud cheering for Yuna so she can earn THREE!

(cheering)
I hate them!!!

Nadia01

Final Flight
I hate them!!!

I dont' think the crowd was doing it to be mean. They were going along w/ the interviewer/MC to maintain the good atmosphere. I just wish the MC hadn't pressured Yuna so much in front of everyone. Let the girl bask in happiness for a bit before she worries about worlds.

jiggs

On the Ice
Hi guys. I'm Ben. I have been reading this forum for months but only now decided to register. I'm sooo happy with Yuna' s result! The queen is sooo back! I'm both a Yuna and a Caro fan believe it or not. I' ve been following these girls since I saw them at worlds in 2007. What I love most about them is their mature artistry and passion with which they both skate. Having said that, what do you think about theyr pcs scores at nationals both in sp and fs. It is the highest that females ever recieved under the new score system. Yuna: 35+, 75+ and Caro: 36+, 76+. Aren' t they too high? Would they be scored this high at worlds if they would skate clean? Just want an honest opinion from you guys. Thanks.

No, they probably won't receive those PCS in international competition. But I do believe their PCS should be in the mid 9s. They are both exceptional skaters, have great SS and interpretation. I never understood why in all other disciplines, judges hand out high 9s, even 10s for the best skaters but the ladies are still stuck in the mid 8s. I believe Caro and Yuna, as well as Mao when she's on, deserve those high PCS.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
No, they probably won't receive those PCS in international competition. But I do believe their PCS should be in the mid 9s. They are both exceptional skaters, have great SS and interpretation. I never understood why in all other disciplines, judges hand out high 9s, even 10s for the best skaters but the ladies are still stuck in the mid 8s. I believe Caro and Yuna, as well as Mao when she's on, deserve those high PCS.

If the likes of P/B, S/S, V/T can get 9+ on PCS, these girls should get 9+.
Even Meryl and Tessa are no match when it comes to SS compare to Carolina.

jaylee

Medalist
Why Yuna doesn't perform her 2A-3T? Or 3F-3T? In the first case she could then add a 2L to the 3S-2T and in the second she would abandon the 2T after 3S. I know she doesn't need it in order to win but she's definitely capable of doin so. Her 2A-3T was solid as a rock everytime she performed it and we've seen she still can do 3F-3T. Is it because of stamina? Or she just doesn't want to do what's not necessary? Do you have any idea?

In addition to what others have said, I want to point out that after adjusting to the new rules, Yu-Na could've opted to keep her 2A/3T in the FS over the 3Lz/3T and wouldn't have sacrificed anything in base value. She could've changed her 3Lz/3T to a 3Lz/2t/2lo and replaced her current 2A/2t/2lo with a 2A/3T.

That's what a number of ladies who have a 3/3 in the SP do in the FS--they go for the 2A/3T because it gets them the same points but without the added pressure of going for a harder combo with no actual point reward.

So I find it extremely impressive that Yu-Na continues to go for the 3/3 in both the SP (where it gives a point advantage) and in the FS (where it doesn't). The rule changes meant that she likely had to lose one combo, but she opted to remove the easier of her two combos and keep her harder combo even though it didn't give her a point advantage.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Absolutely breathtaking and moving. I, admittedly not a judge, would have given her a few tens in the PCS scores.

Hyperbole. Technically, she's very strong. It just proves that low-profile Korean coaches are doing a better job than those big names. However, there is very little transition/choreography in those programs. Artistically, it's definitely a step-back.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
In addition to what others have said, I want to point out that after adjusting to the new rules, Yu-Na could've opted to keep her 2A/3T in the FS over the 3Lz/3T and wouldn't have sacrificed anything in base value. She could've changed her 3Lz/3T to a 3Lz/2t/2lo and replaced her current 2A/2t/2lo with a 2A/3T.

That's what a number of ladies who have a 3/3 in the SP do in the FS--they go for the 2A/3T because it gets them the same points but without the added pressure of going for a harder combo with no actual point reward.

So I find it extremely impressive that Yu-Na continues to go for the 3/3 in both the SP (where it gives a point advantage) and in the FS (where it doesn't). The rule changes meant that she likely had to lose one combo, but she opted to remove the easier of her two combos and keep her harder combo even though it didn't give her a point advantage.

It's due to the jump rules where a skater can't repeat more than two triple types. If she does a 3F+3T or 2A+3T, she'll have repeated two Lutzes, two Salchows, and two Toes (or two Flips). She now also can't repeat the 2A three times as she has done in the past.

The most practical way she can get around this is by replacing the 3S with a 3Lo, though it's her weakest jump. She's then free to do the 2A+3T, thereby increasing her base value by about 3 points in total (.8 for the change to a 3Lo, and 2.4 for the change from a 2T to a 3T):

3Lz+3T, 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo, 3S, 2A+2T+2Lo, 2A+3T (in whatever order)

However, the 3Lo tends to be her nemesis, and for her it's worth having a clean program with high positive GOEs then risk going for the 3Lo.

(BTW, it still boggles me that doing a "3F, 2A+3T" has the same base value as a "3F+3T, 2A". Yuna can perform two triple-triples if she wants, but the system doesn't intrinsically reward it at all. In fact, doing the easier 2A+3T in the start of the second half of the program actually makes the "3F, 2A+3T" a better choice...)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That was great! :clap: And she really didn't have to go clean either-- what a treat for the crowd---the applause was deafening.

Count me in the crowd that misses her 2A-3T. Her 2A-3T was such a beauty, with height AND distance.

jaylee

Medalist
Hyperbole. Technically, she's very strong. It just proves that low-profile Korean coaches are doing a better job than those big names. However, there is very little transition/choreography in those programs. Artistically, it's definitely a step-back.

Hmm, no. :slink: You don't have to like the choreography (and obviously you don't), but there are plenty of transitions and choreographed moments spread throughout the program.

Transitions: steps before the 3F, back spiral before the 3Lz (and an interesting exit), spread eagle into the 2A/2T/2Lo, Ina Bauer into the final 2A. Part of having good transitions is also by not having lots of set-up for elements, and the 3S right into the footwork sequence is an excellent example.

Her choreographed spiral sequence also is a mini-footwork sequence--more moves packed in there than a lot of ladies.

(BTW, it still boggles me that doing a "3F, 2A+3T" has the same base value as a "3F+3T, 2A". Yuna can perform two triple-triples if she wants, but the system doesn't intrinsically reward it at all. In fact, doing the easier 2A+3T in the start of the second half of the program actually makes the "3F, 2A+3T" a better choice...)

I agree with you on the mind-boggling. They floated around the idea of a combination bonus after the 2010 Olympic season, but they didn't pass it. They really should have, IMO.

That's why for the ladies, you see so many 3T/3Ts in the SP but so many 2A/3Ts in the FS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
it's wrong
Kim Yuna- 64.97, with 1Lu and triple flip+triple toe

both of you, Welcome to Golden Skate! We hope you post long & often.