Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

Great name -- the Nestle's Hot Chocolate Cup. :yes:

Skaters get lots of free Nestle sugary cereal. So appropriate for athletes. ;P

The competition in Poland is NOT the only competition available. There is the New Years Cup this weekend and the Volvo Cup on the 10th of January---the same day as the Mentor Nestle Nesquick Cup in Poland. But New Years and Volvo are SENIOR competitions.

New Years Cup was probably too soon but yeah she could have gone to Volvo Cup instead. I know that for ISU ranking points you need to have at least 4 skaters from 3 different countries (if not more in singles?) but minimum scores should count even if they are less skaters competing? If that rule applies to minimum scores as well that could explain choosing Nesquick over Volvo.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nesquick is a JUNIOR competition for ladies. Skaters don't get any ISU ranking points for Junior events. Gosviani has no ISU rating so (if she earns the minimum scores at Torun) she would be in the earliest group to skate at Euros. That won't help her SP score.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
ITA with you. Im glad they are sending Gosviani to euros, as others said she had an opportunity at the russian championships and she took it , good for her :) Im glad the russian fed didnt send leonova based on past results, she has been awful all season and makarova has been sliding since 2010

I'm hoping this will wake Leonova up to the fact that she can't be automatically sent no matter how she skates.. she really has been without enthusiasm this whole season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I had to skate the programs Morozov created for Leonova, I'd be miserable, too. Somber, boring programs don't allow Leonova to display her bubbly personality, which is her greatest asset. She needs to change coaches ASAP.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If I had to skate the programs Morozov created for Leonova, I'd be miserable, too. Somber, boring programs don't allow Leonova to display her bubbly personality, which is her greatest asset. She needs to change coaches ASAP.

Yes! I miss the old 'Chicago' program.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Witches of eastwick was her best and that was not like Chicago at all. I don't understand what changing coaches is supposed to achieve when all her problems are technical and she can do all the jumps but is not doing them now. It's all choreography related? I don't think so! Lol!

Gosviani beat her by a point. She landed all the jumps but watching that performance I thought she would get a lot of underrotations or negative goe at euros or worlds if she could even qualify. She has done so poorly for so long she was nowhere for two years and isn't likely at all to go to Sochi or even euros or even gp events.

noidont

Final Flight
Nikol's jumps are small, but it looks to me she rotates them ok, not much GOE, but at least she doesn't fall apart like Leonova has been this season. Her SP really is wonderful and gosh she is such a beautiful girl. I have never seen her before and was pleasantly surprised. She presented herself well, like a mature skater.

And if Julia L. does well next year, neither Nikol nor Leonova are going to Sochi anyway...Better put some faith in the youngster.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes! :agree: When I heard the new music at Nationals, I thought: "Maybe they have improved her FS, tried something new", but I watched it again and the choreography is almost the same she had for the Flamenco, even the StSq! I really hope she changes coach and goes back to something like the Witches of Eastwick, that was the real Alena...

russell30

Final Flight
The Russian federation will probably only send Liza and adelina, best for Leonova to evaluate and get herself ready for worlds, the fed will send her there. There best bet would be to send makarova if nikol fails to get minimum TES.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Makarova's jumps were deemed UR even by the Russian tech panel. In the FS, she landed only 4 triples, and she singled the final axel. She messed up the SP as well: 3t+3t<↓, 2lo, 2a. I don't see her as an improvement over Leonova.

LRK

Record Breaker
But how have they done previously in the season? - if they don't only keep in mind what they did now at Russian Nationals? This is an actual question, as I now can't recollect - all I remember is that neither did that great during the GP, the finer details escape me. So based on the overall season - Leonova versus Makarova?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think makarova actually placed in a top 3 in a sp once this season in a gp event.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Has Makarova achieved the minimum FS score for Worlds yet? IIRC, she had only achieved it in the SP thus far.

Leonova and Makarova both had very poor seasons so far so it's definitely the right decision to send Gosvianni.

I guess we can expect Kovtun to be officially replaced with Menshov soon now that the politicians stepped in. :p

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Has Makarova achieved the minimum FS score for Worlds yet? IIRC, she had only achieved it in the SP thus far.
No, she hasn't, so, unless they send her to Euros in order to achieve the TES instead of Gosviani, she has to compete in another Senior B... And, watching her weak layout and usual UR jumps, looks very difficult to accomplish... So sad! At this point, I guess that Leonova will be surely the 3rd Russian lady at Worlds (unless Gosviani surprises everyone and skates wonderfully at Euros like Polina did last year and the Fed sends her to Worlds...)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Korobeynikova finished 19th at Worlds 2012. I don't think the Russian Fed wants another repeat.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know... I think the real pressure to perform will be on Liza and Adelina - the third lady is just a bonus chance; if she performs: great; if not... shrug.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It's funny how the things are right now for the Russian Fed: half of her top skaters (Lipnitskaya, radionova, Sakanovich, pogorilaya) are not age-eligible, the only two good skaters, Liza and Adelina, are there, but they don't have a good skater to send as the 3rd lady, because the best at the moment of the not-so-good, age-eligible skaters (in my opinion), Makarova, doesn't have the minimum TES, the World Silver Medalist has had a disastrous season and Korobeneykova is really not ready for the ISU Championships, so they have to choose an almost unknown skater like Gosviani who still has to obtain the minimum TES! They have the best field in the world (with japan, I think), but they don't have a decent 3rd lady to send to Euros! :p