Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian Team for 2013 Euros and Worlds

haribobo

On the Ice
I would not count gosviani among the "little sprites" because that's who leonova was booted for and who has to seek eligibility for euros! She could not even get a jr gp.

Emily Hughes, among others, made her international debut at Junior Worlds without getting the JGP that season and did quite well. Nikol hasn't competed at Nationals since 2009, when she was 6th at Junior Nationals. I'm not sure why there was such a long layoff, but she seems to be promising. I'm very interested to see how her competition this week goes.

Country
Russia
http://fsrussia.ru/news/383_byuro-f...lya-peresmotra-resheniya-ispolkoma-federacii/ (Russian)
My translation:

FFKKR bureau didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation

FFKKR bureau at meeting on Thursday didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation on structure of Russian national team which will compete at the European championship in Zagreb. Into team entered: Pairs – Tatyana Volosozhar – Maxim Trankov, Yuko Kavaguti – Alexander Smirnov and Vera Bazarova – Yury Larionov; Men – Evgeny Plushenko, Sergey Voronov and Maxim Kovtun; Ice Dancee – Ekaterina Bobrova – Dmitry Solovyev, Elena Ilyinykh – Nikita Katsalapov, Ekaterina Ryazanov – Ilya Tkachenko; Ladies – Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova and Nicol Gosviani.

The list of athletes recommended by Coach Council and approved by Executive committee of federation, remained without changes.

"Our decision is based on the accurate principles of selection stated in the Charter of FFKKR. Athletes or couples who have taken two first places in the championship of Russia, are selected in the national team automatically, the third numbers – according to the decision of Coach Council and FFKKR Executive committee. When forming national team these rules weren't violated.

Recommendations about personalities were stated by the Coach Council consisting of professionals. The management has no federation the slightest occasion to doubt competence of the Russian experts. So, I consider that this subject with formation of the national team is settled and the question is closed. Athletes should have the chance to prepare quietly for the forthcoming championship", - the president of federation Alexander Gorshkov declared after bureau meeting.

Olga YERMOLIN, press attache of FFKKR

haribobo

On the Ice
I would not count gosviani among the "little sprites" because that's who leonova was booted for and who has to seek eligibility for euros! She could not even get a jr gp.

Now this girl who "couldn't even get a Jr. GP" just scored 29.50 in TES in the SP at Nesquik with PCS in high 5's. That TES score would have her 4th in the SP at JGPF this year and 5th in the SP at GPF (above Tuktamysheva and Gao). We'll see how the FS goes, but so far so great for Gosviani! :yay:

Country
Russia
Now this girl who "couldn't even get a Jr. GP" just scored 29.50 in TES in the SP at Nesquik with PCS in high 5's. That TES score would have her 4th in the SP at JGPF this year and 5th in the SP at GPF (above Tuktamysheva and Gao). We'll see how the FS goes, but so far so great for Gosviani! :yay:

Gosviani's problem is (was?) FS, not SP.
Her SP TES at Open Moscow and 1st Event of Russian Cup (other her competitions were too late with respect to JGP Events) - 30.95 and 34.21, even higher than at Mentor Nestle Nesquik Torun Cup 2013.
But at FS she had two(!) triples with one fall at Open Moscow and four triples (including one downgraded) with two falls at 1st Event of Russian Cup.

Gosviani was not in Team Russia, i.e. had not good results of previous season.

Could USFS or Japanese Federation send to JGP a girl with these results? Federation of Russia did not.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but not 2 spots, typically. In a similar case, Gracie Gold, who had bombed in the previous Junior Ladies National championship, was given a spot at the last JGP event of the season, based on her performance in summer & fall competitions in country, and on the previous event of the JGP season and physical condition of other skaters who had only one JGP event to that point.

Country
Russia
Yes, but not 2 spots, typically. In a similar case, Gracie Gold, who had bombed in the previous Junior Ladies National championship, was given a spot at the last JGP event of the season, based on her performance in summer & fall competitions in country, and on the previous event of the JGP season and physical condition of other skaters who had only one JGP event to that point.
Gracie was not at Nationals-2011, she bombed at Midwestern Sectional Championships.

Gracie had very good results just before JGP Events, Nikol no. It's a difference.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for the correction-what I was getting at is that it is possible for a US skater to do badly in a preceding season and get a JGP berth, at least one.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
http://fsrussia.ru/news/383_byuro-f...lya-peresmotra-resheniya-ispolkoma-federacii/ (Russian)
My translation:

FFKKR bureau didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation

FFKKR bureau at meeting on Thursday didn't find the bases for revision of the decision of Executive committee of federation on structure of Russian national team which will compete at the European championship in Zagreb. Into team entered: Pairs – Tatyana Volosozhar – Maxim Trankov, Yuko Kavaguti – Alexander Smirnov and Vera Bazarova – Yury Larionov; Men – Evgeny Plushenko, Sergey Voronov and Maxim Kovtun; Ice Dancee – Ekaterina Bobrova – Dmitry Solovyev, Elena Ilyinykh – Nikita Katsalapov, Ekaterina Ryazanov – Ilya Tkachenko; Ladies – Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova and Nicol Gosviani.

The list of athletes recommended by Coach Council and approved by Executive committee of federation, remained without changes.

Mmmm. So it is now official that Nicol Gosviani has got into the team for Europeans.

I have to admit, I was impressed by Nicol’s performance at the Russian Nationals. But, not to the extent to put her in the Russian team.

You have to ask – in the year before hosting the Olympics, is it wise for Russia to send a team of THREE ROOKIES to the Europeans and/or the Worlds?! You would have thought they would have had at least one skater on the team that had experience of a major tournament.

As I said before, I would have picked Korobeynikova. OK, so Polina is not much older than Adelina and Liza, and she is not as good as Alena and Ksenia are when they are at their best. But, at least she has one year of experience at both tournaments under her belt (as opposed to Adelina, Liza and Nicol, who have none), and she is on the upward curve (whereas Alena and Ksenia are on the downward curve).

But, good luck to Nicol. I hope she surprises all the doubters! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

haribobo

On the Ice
Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have had 2 years of experience on senior GP and tons of junior experience as well. I cannot fathom how someone could have any doubts about their experience at this point. And they medaled at Nationals, so it would be crazy not to send them to Euros and Worlds. Now, Gosviani has very little experience, but so far she's already made the World SP minimum on her first try. If she makes the FS minimum at this comp, (which of course is not a given, but we'll see), she will have done in one try what Makarova and Lacoste haven't been able to do in many, many tries. If she does so, that should put to rest any questions about her worthiness, at least until Euros. If she bombs at Euros, then fine, send Leonova to Worlds. But if Nikol goes top 6 at Euros, I would keep her on the World team.

Also, I take issue with the statement that Korobeinikova is on an upward curve. She's a very nice skater but her trajectory this season is down from last season, if anything. She wasn't among the top 5 age-eligible skaters at Nationals, so its very hard to imagine her making another team, despite her talents.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Mmmm. So it is now official that Nicol Gosviani has got into the team for Europeans.

I have to admit, I was impressed by Nicol’s performance at the Russian Nationals. But, not to the extent to put her in the Russian team.

You have to ask – in the year before hosting the Olympics, is it wise for Russia to send a team of THREE ROOKIES to the Europeans and/or the Worlds?! You would have thought they would have had at least one skater on the team that had experience of a major tournament.

As I said before, I would have picked Korobeynikova. OK, so Polina is not much older than Adelina and Liza, and she is not as good as Alena and Ksenia are when they are at their best. But, at least she has one year of experience at both tournaments under her belt (as opposed to Adelina, Liza and Nicol, who have none), and she is on the upward curve (whereas Alena and Ksenia are on the downward curve).

CaroLiza_fan

That would be even more funny decision. As much as I love Polina K, the argument that she is more experienced that Adelina and Liza will not hold. The bottom line is that she was born the same year as Adelina, Liza and Nicol, so not only that she would be that much older than them (just a few months), but if your reason for adding her on the team is her experience, I would say that Adelina and Liza are as experienced as Polina K is. It is true that Polina K skated at one Euros and Worlds, but then again Liza and Adelina did senior GP events last season which Polina K didn't and they both have experience at winning medals at junior worlds which Polina K doesn't. Polina K's best result would be bronze at JGP and 4th at Europeans. So I think their experience would be very comparable.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have had 2 years of experience on senior GP and tons of junior experience as well. I cannot fathom how someone could have any doubts about their experience at this point. And they medaled at Nationals, so it would be crazy not to send them to Euros and Worlds. Now, Gosviani has very little experience, but so far she's already made the World SP minimum on her first try. If she makes the FS minimum at this comp, (which of course is not a given, but we'll see), she will have done in one try what Makarova and Lacoste haven't been able to do in many, many tries. If she does so, that should put to rest any questions about her worthiness, at least until Euros. If she bombs at Euros, then fine, send Leonova to Worlds. But if Nikol goes top 6 at Euros, I would keep her on the World team.

Also, I take issue with the statement that Korobeinikova is on an upward curve. She's a very nice skater but her trajectory this season is down from last season, if anything. She wasn't among the top 5 age-eligible skaters at Nationals, so its very hard to imagine her making another team, despite her talents.

That would be even more funny decision. As much as I love Polina K, the argument that she is more experienced that Adelina and Liza will not hold. The bottom line is that she was born the same year as Adelina, Liza and Nicol, so not only that she would be that much older than them (just a few months), but if your reason for adding her on the team is her experience, I would say that Adelina and Liza are as experienced as Polina K is. It is true that Polina K skated at one Euros and Worlds, but then again Liza and Adelina did senior GP events last season which Polina K didn't and they both have experience at winning medals at junior worlds which Polina K doesn't. Polina K's best result would be bronze at JGP and 4th at Europeans. So I think their experience would be very comparable.

Erm, could you please read my last comment again, but this time in more detail.

I did not say that Adelina and Liza lacked experience. For goodness sake, they have both been immensely successful in recent years at both Junior and Senior level. What I said was that they lacked experience in MAJOR TOURNAMENTS. There is a difference.

Yes, Adelina and Liza now have a couple of years of the Senior GP Series under their belt. And they have been very successful both years. But, however much I like the Grands Prix, you can’t possibly put them in the same bracket as the European or World Championship. Hence, why I said “experience of a major tournament” in my previous comment.

Similarly, Adelina and Liza have both had been on the podium in the Junior versions of the major tournaments (Junior Europeans, Junior Worlds and the Youth Olympics). But, although these tournaments are important to fans like us, casual viewers who come in just for the major tournaments don’t pay any attention to them.

And I certainly did not say to NOT pick Adelina and Liza. They were my first 2 choices to get onto the 2013 team right from the 2011 GP Series. It was just a matter of who was going to join them. And I still think Korobeynikova was the best bet, given the problems Leonova and Makarova are having.

Yes, Polina finished lower than Alena and Ksenia on both the GP rankings and at Russian Nationals. But, at the GP’s, all 3 skaters got the same positions in their 2 appearances (a 6th and a 7th), and on each of the tie-breaks, there was one score well ahead and 2 very similar ( http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpsladies.htm ). But it was not the same girl each time.

As for Russian Nationals, yes Polina only finished in 10th overall, whereas Alena finished 7th and Ksenia finished 8th. But, just remember how the results looked after the Short Program: Polina was 4th, Alena was 6th and Ksenia was 12th.

It was a very disappointing Free Skate (including a fall) that was what dropped Polina down the order. But, Alena and Ksenia were not that impressive in their FS either (Alena had 2 falls). So, although Polina lost ground to them by coming 11th in the FS, Alena could only manage 8th and Ksenia 7th in the FS.

In summary, when you look at the programme results as separate entities, Polina had 1 very good routine and 1 bad routine. Alena and Ksenia both had 2 average routines.

So, given the lack of form so far this year from Alena and Ksenia, and the fact that Polina did better than both of them at last year’s Europeans (with 4th, as opposed to 7th for Alena and 6th for Ksenia), that is why I was picking her as the 3rd skater for the team.

And, although I didn’t say it in either of my previous comments, I was leaving the team open for revision between the Europeans and the Worlds. After all, the normal scenario from the past few years is that Alena doesn’t do well at Europeans, but then does very well at World’s.

So, if Polina had been disappointing at Europeans, I would have had no problem with considering dropping her and letting Alena go to the Worlds instead. And the same now applies for Nicol.

So, before you start giving off about something that you think somebody has said, it might be a good idea to check that they have actually said what you are objecting to.

CaroLiza_fan

haribobo

On the Ice
That's all fine and acceptable, and I fully understood your point, but where we fundamentally disagree is that Liza and Adelina are considered rookies on the world stage. Although they've never been to a Euros or Worlds, they've been to everything else but, and done very well in general. Nobody so far has said Nikol is going to Worlds, not that I'd have a problem with it if she does well at Euros. And here's the thing- as soon as Euros happens and potentially 2 Russians end up on the podium, suddenly they aren't such rookies anymore. So they wouldn't be sending a bunch of no-names to Worlds, even if Gosviani was on the team. And at least one of Tut or Sot would've made it to Euros and maybe Worlds *last* year had they been old enough. So one of the purposes of Euros 2013 for Russia is a resume builder. All 3 of them need this- and have earned it with good placements at Nationals. I just don't get the point of digging down to 10th place at Nationals when there's a perfectly good Nikol right there ready to make a splash. I'm really dismayed at the way posters seem to be bending over backwards to find someone else mediocre to put on the team in her place, and I'm not just referring to CaroLiza_fan. We're all entitled to our opinions, that's fine, I just personally don't get this reasoning that skaters should be made to wait their turn even if they are beating the older ones. It's not how other sports work, and this isn't China. I personally think Russia will do just fine with their "three rookies," but maybe I'm just more of a gambler that way. I always like to see the underdog get a shot when they earn it. Furthermore, Alena, Ksenia, Polina, and Sofia all appear to need time to sort themselves out. They proved at Nationals that they aren't in Euros shape. I surmise that a test skate might be held for Alena before Worlds to see if she's skating any better than Nationals.

Last edited:
I did not say that Adelina and Liza lacked experience. For goodness sake, they have both been immensely successful in recent years at both Junior and Senior level. What I said was that they lacked experience in MAJOR TOURNAMENTS. There is a difference.

Huh? JGP, JGPF, Junior Worlds, GP, GPF. Lots of international competitions in general.

Oh so they didn't do Euros. But they did everything else and are very experienced at this point.

And I still think Korobeynikova was the best bet, given the problems Leonova and Makarova are having.

She has tanked Worlds and hasn't been skating well this season and placed below both Leonova and Makarova at Nationals.

Yes she is younger, has time to develop, etc. But that's all theoretical. She hasn't earned her spot this season.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
http://fskating.com/2013/01/nikolai-morozov-they-just-ruined-menshovs-life.html
I think it's the first time that I agree with Morozov! :laugh: This is especially correct:
“He should go to the junior Worlds and develop his skating. Where are we in such a hurry? And I’m not the only one who thinks so. Top coaches such as Alexei Mishin and Viktor Kudryavtsev voted against it (note: against the decision of coaching council). Maxim Kovtun nothing gained but Konstantin Menshov may have lost everything …”

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Morozov has his own interests in this story and not necessary sportish ones. Kovtun is a tough guy for a coach and Morozov failed him. So Max was moved to CSKA where at first Buyanova and later TAT becamse his coaches. TAT is officially his coach, not some advisor. The situation changed and Max won GPF. Probably Morozov simply feels jealous. Second reason- Euros in Men can be quite lousy. Besides Plu and maybe Javi, all others can deliver quite meh skating. In this case Kovtun, if he skates clean (and angry, which he has the full reason to be after everything what happened), gets a chance for a bronze. That is not in the interest of both Morozov's pupils- Vornov and Amodio. As for his declamation of 'ruined life', he did the same thing to Miki's sport career just recently.

Menshov gave a very tochy interview to rsport.ru where he said that he feels pain and thinks that the whole story was really unfair to him. He said he had been having probably the best season in his career and was ready to medal in Zagreb. He expressed his gratitute to fellow skaters for the support and said he was happily surprised with their reaction. He didn't say anything specific about his future plans, just mentioned that now they (RusFed) want him to skate at Cup of Russia in Tver, but he did it a lot in the past and won 5 times in total, so he doesn't really believe that his skating there will change anything. He also said that the RusFed officials mentioned the possibility of him taking part in WTT in Tokyo this April (which also means that Russia, the same as last season, is not planning to send their top skaters to WTT :mad:). Still, he didn't confirm anything and said that now he is thinking on his future plans.
http://rsport.ru/interview/20130111/639113406.html

Country
Russia
Thanks for the correction-what I was getting at is that it is possible for a US skater to do badly in a preceding season and get a JGP berth, at least one.
In fact, in Russia look at first - how skater/couple is ready just before JGP Event.
And if not ready - no Event.

For example, Agafonova on results of previous season was second candidate after Radionova. She was 4th at Junior Nationals (Radionova 3rd). 1st and 2nd at Junior Nationals (Lipnitskaia, Shelepen) had GP Events, so Radionova and Agafonova were 1st and 2nd of eligible to JGP. Also Agafonova with two bronze medals of JGP Events-2011 was best of JGP-2011 participants (excluding them who had GP-2012 Events).
But she was not ready at August-September 2012 and had not JGP events at 2012.

Testing "is skater or couple ready" may be at very high level. President of Russian Federation of Figure Skating Alexander Gorshkov visited skating rink to see skating of one Junior Lady and one Junior Pair before their first JGP Event.

And I believe - USFS will not send to JGP Event skater who had not good results at previous season and at the beginning of season does not show good skating.
The same - Federation of Russia.
I wrote about Gosviani's results at early September - not good.
Her moderately good skating was at Russian Cup Events III, IV, V - after JGP Events.
Her best for now - Nationals.

Country
Russia
Of three "rookies" two - Liza and Adelina - are well-knowh at world level, best of eligible by age Russian female skaters (Lipnitskaia and Radionova, may be, are better or at least not worse, but they are too young for ISU Senior Championships). Adelina had four Senior GP Events. Liza too and two Senior GP Finals. Both have medals from GP Events. Liza won Kostner, Wagner, Czisny, Suzuki at GP Events 2011 (I named ony most famous, she was 1st at both GP Events 2011, so she won all other participants of these Events).
Also they had excellent results at Junior competitions - JGP and Junior Worlds.
Adelina is 3 times Champion of Russia, Liza is now Champion of Russia. They are two of three competing female Champions of Russia (third - Makarova - now is in not so good state).

Polina Korobeynikova had no good results after Euro-2012. No international, no in Russia.
At Nationals-2013 she was 10th and 6th of eligible by age. In FS at Nationals she had only 4 triples (one URed) anf fall from 2A. I.e. her permanent problem - unstable jumps - is very serious now.

CaroLiza_fan
She is Nikol. See her correct name at http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010707.htm