Renewed Czisny ready to return to ice in Omaha | Golden Skate

Renewed Czisny ready to return to ice in Omaha

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa's answers were all so very abstract, as if she were speaking of 'a skater' not necessarily herself.

Overall, she avoided saying where her skating is on a competitive scale. IMO, she won't be fully revved up for Nationals and most likely won't finish top two---USFS won't want to base Olympic spots on the performance of a 75% skater. Top 5 would be a respectable finish.

I hope she's able to do a good job! Just seeing her on the ice again will be wonderful, but I'm always anxious.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every time Alissa takes the ice, I am anxious. I'm always expecting a splat on that opening jump. If she gets past that first pass without the splat, I can relax a bit!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Every time Alissa takes the ice, I am anxious. I'm always expecting a splat on that opening jump. If she gets past that first pass without the splat, I can relax a bit!

i don't have much hope i'm sorry to say. But i hope she proves me wrong.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. Czisny will be 26 next year; I don't see her returning to her 2010-2011 form after such a serious injury. Even if she got close to it, the current ladies' technical bar has been raised well above what Alissa can do.

senatormls

On the Ice
Agreed. Czisny will be 26 next year; I don't see her returning to her 2010-2011 form after such a serious injury. Even if she got close to it, the current ladies' technical bar has been raised well above what Alissa can do.

I agree and she'll compete for the first time this season at US nationals. To say she'll be under pressure is an understatement. She's collapsed before with a completely healthy body. I must say on her behalf that she gives an intelligent and poised interview.

meem

On the Ice
I've been a fan of Czisny's for several years now but I don't want to see her continued frustrated efforts on the ice. She's so polished and articulate - I wish either the US skating federation or a broadcasting company would offer Alissa a job. Sheesh - she speaks a number of languages including Russian and Japanese, right?

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
I've been an Alissa fan since she skated in juniors and I don't think she'll be 100% for nationals. I'd like to see her put out the best performance she can at this point and make top 5 at nationals(skip Worlds team but possibly get a 4CC spot). Come back fully-healed and strong in the fall GP's and make the Olympic team (after 2 missed previous tries). Then maybe retire if she's happy with what she's accomplished.

Hoping her the best of luck at nationals. I just don't want to se her push too hard too soon.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I can't blame her for not wanting to end her competitive career on last year's world performance but she sure is facing a steep challenge! Coming back from a tough year, an injury and having nationals be your first comp and competiting against a solid Ashley Wagner at perhaps her competitive peak and other girls who are technically formidable when on (Mirai, Christina...) it's going to be very tough. I'll always be glad to see Alissa skate. And no matter what she is a two-time US champion and she has that wonderful GPF win too. I'll always rewatch that program and her 2011 nationals win.

Good luck, Alissa!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I disagree. Czisny's planned content could put her in the top 5 at Worlds, in that second tier behind YuNa/Caro/Mao. I think it is extremely unlikely that she would skate clean given her form the last few years but I don't think the sport has surpassed her peak level by any means.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Czisny has no 3/3 or even a 2a+3t. Many of the ladies (Yu-Na, Russians, Gold, Osmond, etc.) do have 3/3s. That is the technical bar to which I referred.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Czisny has no 3/3 or even a 2a+3t. Many of the ladies (Yu-Na, Russians, Gold, Osmond, etc.) do have 3/3s. That is the technical bar to which I referred.

Perhaps, but aside from Yuna, a clean Alissa can beat all the others. There have always been ladies able to do 3-3's so the bar isn't any different than before. (Rachel did 3-3s, Ashley did 3-3s, Mao did 3-3s, etc.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Perhaps, but aside from Yuna, a clean Alissa can beat all the others. There have always been ladies able to do 3-3's so the bar isn't any different than before. (Rachel did 3-3s, Ashley did 3-3s, Mao did 3-3s, etc.)

:laugh: and when does THAT ever happen?

My gut tells me Czisny won't be a factor this season - I know weirder things have occurred before, but it's too much to come back from injury and have your FIRST competition be Nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think she has a chance. Her performances at Nats and Worlds last year were subpar and now she has an injury to get past. The bar certainly has been raised from even when she was at her prime.