Renewed Czisny ready to return to ice in Omaha | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Renewed Czisny ready to return to ice in Omaha

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I think the first spot will go to the person who skates the best at Nationals, and the second spot will go to the person who skates second-best. :yes:

Heck, yes. Let's hope, anyway. Funny how people complain about judges picking who's going to medal in advance (as many folks did last year in response to AC's silver at nationals), but then explicitly call for judges to judge nationals based on who is predicted (by anonymous internet posters) to do well at Worlds.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Czisny's better performances:

gold-medal SA 2011 FS: 3z+3t<<, 3fe<<-fo↓, 3lo, 3z<, 2s, 3lo+2t, 2a+2t+2lo

Worlds 2011 5th place FS: 3z↓, 3f+2t, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t

gold medal GPF 2010 FS: 3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3s, 3lo, 3z, 2a-fo, 3t

gold medal SC 2010 FS: 3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3f, 3lo, 3t, 2a, 3t↓

bronze medal TEB 2010 FS: 3z+2t, 3f+2t, 3t, 3lo-hd, 3f↓, 2a<fo, 1t

Only one near-clean FS in the bunch (GPF gold medal), and she finished 3rd in the FS of that event.

It's interesting to look at the layout of her FS over the 2010-2011 season. It seems she had a different jump layout for each performance, and in all she landed a 3-jump combination only once.

ETA: Yes, Alissa did beat Kostner at GPF 2010. But Kostner has rarely been in top form in the early season. Carolina did come back to win bronze at Worlds 2011, beating Alissa.

Chuckm, why do you leave out AC’s 2011 nationals? I understand leaving out national competition if one is comparing scores, but if one’s only purpose is to look at jumps landed, then all skates (competitive or not) are relevant.

Not sure, btw, how many skaters, would come out looking awesome if listed by jumps/technical panels calls, in the past few years.

Also, Chuckm, can you explain what motivates you to criticize Alissa Csizny on every thread on which her name appears on GoldenSkate? There are some skaters I’m not a big fan of, too. I just, for the most part, don’t read the threads about them. Did Alissa kill your kitten?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's an apples and oranges comparison but both Michelle and Tara did 7 triples in 1998 to Yu Na's six. Both did the full set of triples (except the 3axel) and Tara did both a triple-triple as well as a 3-seq-3 practically at the end of her program. Yu Na did one 3-3 and didn't do the loop. I would say both were at least as strong in presentation as Yu Na--maybe stronger. Yu Na probably wins on speed (though Tara was pretty fast) and the two 6.0 skaters win on spirals. Spins are a draw. The bottom line is these are three of the best Olympic long programs ever.

Tara got away with youthful exuberance but her jumps if fully rotated and no edge calls today were not huge, did not cover ice and did not have the power of Irina, Carolina, Joannie et al. Tara was not artistic like Michelle or Yuna and she did not have a wonderful characer or personality like Oksana Baiul or the sophistication of Maria Butyrskaya. She did have youtful joy though. She was not an artist.

Icey

Record Breaker
Alissa won't be skating at the Detorit club event to be held this week-end? Neither will Verner.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Mods, do you think it would be possible to move this to its own thread "Which Ladies Olympic competition was best?" Since AC has never been to the Olympics :( this is obviously way off topic.
:agree:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And AC might never go to the olympics her last skates do not give great hope and as per usual lots of positive talk from her skating camp but no evidence as to how she is doing.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Shizuka has one of the best LPs in recent memory in term of choreography. And who could forget her Y-spiral and her Ina Bauer into the 3 jumps combo. She was smooth as silk. I think Shizuka had more standout moments than Yuna in 2010. Moments that are still talked about many years down the line. And she had never done them in competition before, which made them oh so freaking awesome. Yuna was perfect, but I couldn't recall a signature move in her program.

I think Shizuka had lovely qualities as a skater and she definitely deserved the win that night, but that program was nothing special IMO and is one of the more forgettable Olympic wins. She had lovely moves (her ina bauer, the Y-spiral) but the rest of her skating was pretty flat. She left me cold...then again the only time I really saw any kind of brilliance from Shiz was at worlds in 2004. She really let go and performed with emotion and it was wonderful. In Turin she gave a safe performance...you could tell she was skating with the intent of getting through the program without a mistake, which was smart b/c everyone else ended up splatting. Still, there was no spark to her performance and of the Olympics I've witnessed ('94, '98, '02, '06, '10) her winning performance stands out the least.

Back OT, I wonder why Alissa is passing on the DSC show? I'm assuming she's really focused on training but this close to nationals I think people want to see proof that she's "back" though that interview she gave was very telling IMO. She was very careful with her answers and said a lot but didn't give any kind of indication of where she is with her jump content.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Someone on FSU said that she's competing at the Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, WI this weekend. http://www.vfsclub.com/events/competitions/

I think this is a grand idea -- good way to get her programs out there before Nationals. Not the same as doing a GP, but at least she'll have one competition under her belt.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara got away with youthful exuberance but her jumps if fully rotated and no edge calls today were not huge, did not cover ice and did not have the power of Irina, Carolina, Joannie et al. Tara was not artistic like Michelle or Yuna and she did not have a wonderful characer or personality like Oksana Baiul or the sophistication of Maria Butyrskaya. She did have youtful joy though. She was not an artist.

I agree--my comments were based on the scoring in '98. She got 5.8s and 5.9s in presentation--almost the same as Michelle.

I'm probably biased, but I've never understood how Tara got such high presentation marks in Nagano. She did that triple-triple, which was impressive, but there is no way her skating could be considered on an artistic par with Michelle's. While I'm more than thrilled that Michelle seems to have used her silver medal as an incentive to remain in skating for far longer, giving us so many years of increasingly fine skating, I just can't understand how those judges could have sided with Tara's more immature presentation. Because she smiled more?

Well, I think of the years that followed--with Red Violin, Song of the Black Swan, and so on--as the gift to skating that arose from that evening. So the outcome benefited both skaters in the long run. It turned out that Tara was just passing through, but Michelle stayed with us and gave us the complete arc of artistic development.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm probably biased, but I've never understood how Tara got such high presentation marks in Nagano. She did that triple-triple, which was impressive, but there is no way her skating could be considered on an artistic par with Michelle's. While I'm more than thrilled that Michelle seems to have used her silver medal as an incentive to remain in skating for far longer, giving us so many years of increasingly fine skating, I just can't understand how those judges could have sided with Tara's more immature presentation. Because she smiled more?

Well, I think of the years that followed--with Red Violin, Song of the Black Swan, and so on--as the gift to skating that arose from that evening. So the outcome benefited both skaters in the long run. It turned out that Tara was just passing through, but Michelle stayed with us and gave us the complete arc of artistic development.
I agree with every word you wrote!! :yes::agree:

Nadia01

Final Flight
i'm probably biased, but i've never understood how tara got such high presentation marks in nagano. She did that triple-triple, which was impressive, but there is no way her skating could be considered on an artistic par with michelle's. While i'm more than thrilled that michelle seems to have used her silver medal as an incentive to remain in skating for far longer, giving us so many years of increasingly fine skating, i just can't understand how those judges could have sided with tara's more immature presentation. Because she smiled more?

Well, i think of the years that followed--with red violin, song of the black swan, and so on--as the gift to skating that arose from that evening. So the outcome benefited both skaters in the long run. It turned out that tara was just passing through, but michelle stayed with us and gave us the complete arc of artistic development.

this!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone on FSU said that she's competing at the Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, WI this weekend. http://www.vfsclub.com/events/competitions/

I think this is a grand idea -- good way to get her programs out there before Nationals. Not the same as doing a GP, but at least she'll have one competition under her belt.

It won't be much of a competition as only one other Senior lady is entered. It will just be a chance for Alissa to skate both her programs before judges.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I think under 6.0 it was easier for judges to decide who they thought should win and then mark the programs accordingly. I imagine this is what happened in Nagano; Tara wasn't exactly worthy of 6.0 on the technical mark so a judge would have to make up the difference with a higher artistic mark to put her into 1st. It kind of makes the marks meaningless but I suppose I can't blame them because they judges can get boxed in if they give high marks to skaters who performed earlier. With Maria B left to skate, the judges would need to leave room above Tara/Michelle and between Tara/Michelle.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
To this day, I maintain that the only reason Tara won in Nagano was b/c Michelle skated first and the judges couldn't break out the 6.0s that early in the last group. The only other skater in that competition on par with Michelle artistically was Chen Lu and, in scoring a competition relative to the competition there, Michelle's performance (though not 100% as free as nationals) was worthy of a 6.0 in that field. Had Tara skated before Michelle I don't doubt Tara would have gotten the scores she received (she deserved them); but with Michelle skating afterwards and delivering the performance she did, I can guarantee more than half (if not all) of those 5.9s would have been 6.0s. Tara would have won the technical mark, which she should have, but Michelle would have run away with the presentation mark, which she should have, and she'd have won gold.

Bygones, I suppose...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It won't be much of a competition as only one other Senior lady is entered. It will just be a chance for Alissa to skate both her programs before judges.

As I said, it's not a GP, but at least her first competition won't be nationals.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I agree, I think the competition is just to get the programs out in a competition setting. Is it a Grand Prix? No. Is it better than having your first competition at Nationals? Yes. I wish Alissa the best of luck at both competitions :)

As for Tara & Michelle, as much as I disagree with the results, if it had any influence in Michelle staying around longer and giving us the beautiful programs that she did, Im thankful for them then.

Icey

Record Breaker
Alissa won't be skating at the Detorit club event to be held this week-end? Neither will Verner.

That wasn't suppose to be a question. Alissa has been removed from the list of skaters to perform at Detroit.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To this day, I maintain that the only reason Tara won in Nagano was b/c Michelle skated first and the judges couldn't break out the 6.0s that early in the last group. The only other skater in that competition on par with Michelle artistically was Chen Lu and, in scoring a competition relative to the competition there, Michelle's performance (though not 100% as free as nationals) was worthy of a 6.0 in that field. Had Tara skated before Michelle I don't doubt Tara would have gotten the scores she received (she deserved them); but with Michelle skating afterwards and delivering the performance she did, I can guarantee more than half (if not all) of those 5.9s would have been 6.0s. Tara would have won the technical mark, which she should have, but Michelle would have run away with the presentation mark, which she should have, and she'd have won gold.

Bygones, I suppose...

I dont really agree. Michelle's performance in Nagano, while excellent, was clearly not up to the standard of her Nationals performance, there was no comparision. Along with that these were the Olympics, not Nationals. As great as Kwan is in her long career I think she managed 5 or 6 total perfect 6.0s at World or Olympics (half of those in the short program, and never more than 2 per any program), if we exclude the 2004 Worlds where due to obviously tribute to 6.0 judgingfest and the 100 or so 6.0s awarded that week all 6.0s were a joke and must be disregarded (unfortunately even those truly deserved like Shen & Zhou's LP there).

As for why it was judged as it was, the judges are told to use the scores to place skaters in the order they feel they should be in. Thus for those judges who already gave Kwan 5.8 technical, 5.9 presentation, and felt the technical edge was a bit more than the presentation one, or if not felt the overall vigor and energy of Tara's performance combined with the edge in content due to the combinations, should win, they had no choice but to either give Tara a 6.0 technically (hard to justify with her flutz, small jumps, and non exceptional non jump elements) or give 5.9, 5.9. It doesnt mean they consider the two dead equal on presentation neccessarily, but they are doing as instructed and using the marks to give the skater they feel deserved it on the day the win. Lets remember one thing, Tara did not get a higher artistic mark than Michelle from any judge, and lower from many of them, and keeping in mind back the technical score often was used as the base score for the artistic (now this part they are not instructed to do, but it is reality it seemed) all 9 of Michelle's presentation marks went up, many by .2, and none of Tara's went up while some going down. So the idea the judges favored Tara in presentation is a laughable suggestion, her win was based on their favoring her technically that night (justifiable) and finding the presentation side plausible enough to allow her to win based on her technical edge. Every single judge that voted for Tara was based on a superior technical mark.

Last edited: