Japan's Takahashi to quit after Sochi | Golden Skate

Japan's Takahashi to quit after Sochi

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reuters - Japan's former world champion Daisuke Takahashi plans to hang up his skates after the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

russell30

Final Flight
Reuters - Japan's former world champion Daisuke Takahashi plans to hang up his skates after the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

That was to be expected, so no shock news there, so it will be Takahashi's last Worlds I hope he does well in Canada. His season has been great so far, I agree the quads are looking sharper and tighter as he pointed out, I recently watched his free skate at Nationals where I thought he probably produced one of his best technical performances to date.

russell30

Final Flight
I can't stand the thought of it! We'd better enjoy him while he's here.

Ditto Olympia: Dai is probably one of the best to have the full package and one who expresses the music to the max!!, I hope he will be injury free leading up to Sochi to enjoy his remaining performances.

If I was Dai, I would seek something really special to skate to next year!! Well we hope (we say this every year, more originality please!!)

Nadia01

Final Flight
Ditto Olympia: Dai is probably one of the best to have the full package and one who expresses the music to the max!!, I hope he will be injury free leading up to Sochi to enjoy his remaining performances.

If I was Dai, I would seek something really special to skate to next year!! Well we hope (we say this every year, more originality please!!)

Sadly he's with Morozov right now...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Not surprised by this. After Sochi, it is truly the end of an Era. Who else left? Only Patrick or Hanyu and maybe Liza, and Zijun worth following up. Not sure about others. If either Patrick or Hanyu win, will they stay beyond Sochi?

Wish the best for Dai. I expect he will get a medal thought not sure what colour at Sochi. He need better programs and be saved from Morozov.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It would be interesting if he joined kings on ice or something if he wants to be a career skater. He made a great comeback after his injury and some of the programs are real classics. And he got the quad toe back and can do two which is really impressive.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He's been around for so long - we've all watched him grow up in the sport. It will be weird to not think of what he will do after that season - or to not see him competing...

The end of an Era.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
He's been around for so long - we've all watched him grow up in the sport. It will be weird to not think of what he will do after that season - or to not see him competing...

The end of an Era.

Don't say that! Sochi has not happened yet! :(

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Although he has been saying it before, I'm kind of sad that he won't be in Worlds after Sochi. The only way to become World Champion a second time is Worlds 2013 then. Maybe depending on his result in this years WC and Sochi he will reconsider at least maybe do this one last competition in 2014. I have no doubts that his programmes for next season are deserving of as many performances as possible. I see myself crying when he finishes his last pose at Sochi, no matter how he skated or whatever the result will be. :(

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I hope he wins his 2nd World title this March, and the Olympic Gold next February. Nobody deserves it more. He is finaly getting the scores from the judges he deserves again. I think he will win both events if he skates 2 clean programs, especialy as his main competitors arent likely to do this, but he himself probably isnt likely to either. It will probably come down to who has fewest mistakes.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
This news makes me sad everythime that I hear it. Daisuke has been saying this ever since he came in 5th at the 2011 World Championships, but at the time I thought there was still plenty of time left. It went way too fast, though, and I am in disbelief that he will be hanging up his skates in just a little over a year. Part of me would like him to stay until 2014 Worlds because they are in his home country, but only if he doesn't win Worlds 2013 or the Olympics. If he wins Worlds 2013, then he doesn't need to stay till Worlds 2014 because he'll already have his second title, and if he wins the Olympics, well, then I'm okay with him hanging up his skates right then and there. I understand why he wants to end it at the Olympics, though. What better time and place for a three-time Olympian to skate his final skate than at the Olympics?

I cannot imagine men's figure skating without Daisuke. He has brought so much to the sport - his combination of artistry and athleticism is what you want in a skater. And he always lives his performances and gives them everything he has. I hope his Olympic free skate is one that will leave everyone breathless. In my opinion, no one deserves the Olympic gold medal more than Daisuke does. He has been out there fighting and competing, winning and losing, for the past ten years. Just like MaiKatze said, I will probably cry when Daisuke finishes the final free program of his career. It has been such a journey. I truly hope he can win in Sochi. However, Olympic Champion or not, Dai's skating is special, and his name should always be remembered among the all-time skating greats.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice

I hope Dai's Olympic program is something spectacular - something that people will talk about long after 2014. I kind of wish Blues For Klook were his Olympic program, but with the right choreographer, I think he can create something else just as memorable. The Olympics are the only time that most non-figure skating fans ever watch the sport, so a lot of people will be watching him that have never seen him before. I hope he has a super special program that impresses everyone, including all of the people who know nothing of figure skating. Please, Dai, give us something we'll never forget.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I hope Dai's Olympic program is something spectacular - something that people will talk about long after 2014. I kind of wish Blues For Klook were his Olympic program, but with the right choreographer, I think he can create something else just as memorable. The Olympics are the only time that most non-figure skating fans ever watch the sport, so a lot of people will be watching him that have never seen him before. I hope he has a super special program that impresses everyone, including all of the people who know nothing of figure skating. Please, Dai, give us something we'll never forget.

Ditto.

But no matter what he skates to, he has the charisma and personality to make every moment very magical. I'm really going to miss seeing him in comps.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Japan has produced a superstar male skater loved round the world. We will see if young Hanyu can follow up. He's a rock star there, simply put. He leaves us with great performances to watch like Buttle, Lambiel, Yagudin, Plush and even Evan. He is the best skater to come from the East as yet. His coaching will be formidable. Japan
=singles greatness in the last decade. Really quite awesome.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Nobody knows what Dai will do after Sochi. But I don't believe for a second that he will completly retire from skating, including shows. Anyway, HE PROMISED RUSSIN FANS IN SOCHI TO SKATE TOPLESS! UNTIL HE DOES IT, HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE! :cool: